PDA

View Full Version : silver yesterday and today

randy
10-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Yesterday had to go to the doctor in another town and researched a site to hit on the way -- dropped my coil there and pulled 5 silvers in three hours.

Today did the farewell hunt at my honeyhole I'd been hitting since june. Had one section to finish at it gave up a merc and a dateless SLQ. Special site that we can never forget -- 74 silvers (including a barber half and '64 kennedy), 2 large cents, 2 IHs, 1 shield nickel. and most importantly, countless hours of fun at a beautiful location.

Ill Digger
10-07-2011, 05:22 PM
5 silvers in 3 hours! :shocked04: Wow ! And that was a back up site!? <:
Funny how thing work out sometimes ain't it! lol thumbsup01
And you even snagged a SLQ along the way! thumbsup01 Sweet!
Congrats :grin:
And here's farewell to &quot:daydream:ld Faithful :beerbuddy:

JTGOLD
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
awsome bunch of silver,very good hunting Randy,wtg.

pulltabsteve
10-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Another great hunt Randy |:cheering:

jkress
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Very nice Randy. Doubt this new site will be a lemon for you. :) Your skill set does not allow for much silver to get by you.
The honeyhole was very, very nice to you. Curious... what kind of site was this? School, church, park?

Great bunch of silvers here. <: Congrats and good luck at your new site.

Tony Two-Cent
10-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Look at all of that silver! :loveit:

And a SLQ too, one of my all-time favorite coins! (I haven't found one with my E-Trac yet.)

It looks like you have a real knack for finding quality places to hunt, Randy. These days, that's the biggest challenge. I can't wait to see what else you find at this new site!

randy
10-07-2011, 08:31 PM
The honeyhole was very, very nice to you. Curious... what kind of site was this? School, church, park?

Huge downtown park. Rather obvious site in all honesty. The trick was to spend the time to get to know the site, meticulously take soundings in all sections, and to understand the sections they pounded on, and the out of the box sections they ignored, understand the pedestrian patterns from the town grid to the park (which, from my soundings, its clear the competition didn't bother to understand (and each of two flows from the town into the heart of the park produced a silver half, as well as countless small silver), and then pound them yourself. Grid, grid grid the good sections til they bleed silver. The advantages of a very large site.

Anyone can pound a small site. I think there is an art to reading a large site and how it works with the pedestrian patterns of the surrounding town, especially when looking at 55 year old aerial photos. Or, I got lucky. The latter is always possible. Who knows?

jkress
10-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Huge downtown park. Rather obvious site in all honesty. The trick was to spend the time to get to know the site, meticulously take soundings in all sections, and to understand the sections they pounded on, and the out of the box sections they ignored, understand the pedestrian patterns from the town grid to the park (which, from my soundings, its clear the competition didn't bother to understand (and each of two flows from the town into the heart of the park produced a silver half, as well as countless small silver), and then pound them yourself. Grid, grid grid the good sections til they bleed silver. The advantages of a very large site.

Anyone can pound a small site. I think there is an art to reading a large site and how it works with the pedestrian patterns of the surrounding town, especially when looking at 55 year old aerial photos. Or, I got lucky. The latter is always possible. Who knows?

Wow... great information and more food for thought Randy. Thank you. One thing I have been really focusing attention and thought on these last couple of months is 'reading' the ground of a park. CyberSage tipped me off to this process a while back and I have found it is really worth the effort. At the end of the day, interpreting the ground has definitely put more keepers in my pocket. :yes:

Epi-hunter
10-07-2011, 09:05 PM

No, that wasn't luck :)

Great post randy. Congrats on the silvers. |:confused:)

skribnodsister
10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Nice finds Randy, that silver sure is pretty! Congrats <:

jkress
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
No, that wasn't luck :)

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. :yes: If your silver count was around 15-20... then maybe :dontknow: luck has a part. But not for you my friend.
Your numbers suggest something more is going on than luck. :)

aloldstuff
10-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Excellent hunting, 5 silvers in 3 hours. Sorry to hear that you must say goodbye to that wonderful honeyhole. That place sure produced some nice keepers for you. Great advise on how to understand, evaluate, then hunt a site. Congrats

li tom
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Great silver!I bet there is a lot more silver in your honeyhole,especially if it's a large park and trashy,which can hide silver.My own honeyhole is also an fairly large urban park that I just pulled out my 400th silver coin this week after just over 2 years hunting.I go over the same area time and time again and still find silver.No more double digit silver hunts here,but I can usually still pop out 2 or 3 most hunts.So give your spot some more time,unless you have a lot of better spots to hit.

Mudder
10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
:shocked03:Wow! What a great hunt. Congratulations just don't seem to cover it. :omg:

milco
10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Great hunt at a new spot! Hope its not far away so you can hit it often!