PDA

View Full Version : Photo's to line art?

coinnut
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
OK Computer people, here's one for you. I have been looking for information on what program the Wall Street Journal uses to turn people's photo's to a drawings. (I guess line art? or pen and ink?) If you look at the Journal you will see pictures all through it like that. The reason I want it, is because I have a laser engraver and want to turn photo's to line art, so I can better burn them in wood. Line art works excellent in Mahogany. The Skulls are in Mahogany but the camera washed out the reddish color wood. The Humaniod is on Pine, the Dragon is on junk wood that was painted gray, and the Birth Announcement was on Mahogany. Any help would be great.

leslie(nova scotia)
01-29-2010, 01:37 AM
From the land of the Bluenose......really like the wayvern and that is indeed a neat form of art!

frog
01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Corel Draw downloaded on my computer. They all seem to do what you need.
But I'd bet there are cheaper graphic programs available that would work as well for your application.

RickO
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I cannot help with a recommendation, but that work is really nice. RickO

Krom
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
CoinNut...
This site goes from real to animation. 'Zat what you're lookin' for?

http://www.cartooned-me.com/index.php?t202id=253&t202kw=em4

coinnut
01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
CoinNut...
This site goes from real to animation. 'Zat what you're lookin' for?

http://www.cartooned-me.com/index.php?t202id=253&t202kw=em4

Sorta Joe, That site turns you into something else, but similar. I'm looking for a line art (pen and ink) drawing that takes your picture and duplicates it, but in a fine line art way. I think it can probably be done in Correl, as I have Correl 10. But I don't know where to do it from. Correl is harder than Photoshop and I'm not exactly a patient computer guy lol I want to take an Indian Head Penny that I found and do a wood burning of it, but I want to accent the features on it. I guess I need a computer nanny tutor lol

coinnut
01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
I cannot help with a recommendation, but that work is really nice. RickO

Thanks, Most of that is just Tatoo flash, except for the humanoid, which my daughter drew. Think of the laser engraver as a real expensive printer lol

del
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
hey ya still gonna try to make cool flashy name tags to use for the club . :huh: and hey you could make your own American Detectorist moderator badge and be official like. lol lol

coinnut
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
hey ya still gonna try to make cool flashy name tags to use for the club . :huh: and hey you could make your own American Detectorist moderator badge and be official like. lol lol

That's why I want that program. I can see it now, a badge with a Conn copper done in mahogany on it and my name lol lol. Really, it will do some nice name badges, instead of them paper ones :rolleyes: As for the AD Moderator badge?...You will be begging me for one rofl :bop: :bop: Now go in the corner and be a good little boy :yes:

sectshun8
02-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Whenever I can't figure something out I go to sites liek PSlover.com for tutorials on how to achieve specific effects. Surely there are online tutorials for Corel to get what you want :huh:

If I'm not mistaken, PS actually has a filter that almost a one click photo to line art type thing. It may not be exact... I have it on my netbook in my cabin here on boat... I'll check for you in a bit.

coinnut
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Whenever I can't figure something out I go to sites liek PSlover.com for tutorials on how to achieve specific effects. Surely there are online tutorials for Corel to get what you want :huh:

If I'm not mistaken, PS actually has a filter that almost a one click photo to line art type thing. It may not be exact... I have it on my netbook in my cabin here on boat... I'll check for you in a bit.

Thanks, any info on the PS would help. I'd buy it if it was a one (or 2) click effort That I could do lol Once I know where to access it from, I can check someone who has it close to me, and give it a try and see how it does. I'm not computer savy enough to locate it among all the tools and drop downs :rolleyes: I'd love to see a before and after shot if anyone has PS out there. Thanks again.

frog
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I have Corel 9. Using it... I open the photo I want to work on, chose bitmap from the address bar menu, then select the filter I want ( i.e. Art Strokes then pen and ink) and I'm done. Hope that works for you.
Frog

coinnut
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I have Corel 9. Using it... I open the photo I want to work on, chose bitmap from the address bar menu, then select the filter I want ( i.e. Art Strokes then pen and ink) and I'm done. Hope that works for you.
Frog

Hey Frog, I will try that as soon as I can get down there to try the laser. I hope that works, cause I'm cheap and don't really want to buy another program lol Thanks for that. I'll let you know if it does. thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

sectshun8
02-06-2010, 05:35 AM
I couldn't recreate the photo to lineart tutorials with the same effect I saw in some of the stuff I was reading abotu PS. Some came close, but not really that good.. or the ones that did work good didn't work good with every type of photo.

For my efforts, I came across a sweet tutorial on recreating film LOMO effects using PS... so I played with that for awhile. Some results below.

toehead
02-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Coinnut, GIMP can do this. And it's open source (free), however I think it might take more than 1 or 2 clicks. Go to gimp.org and take a look, I found something in the tutorials link that might be what you are looking for. I will warn you that the GIMP isn't really intuitive, at least that is one of the knocks on it. I have it installed on my notebook (Linux)never really used it, but it is cross platform so they have it for Windows and Mac also.
If I remember right PS can do this one just a click or two, I don't know about the cheaper Photo Shop Elements. Might want to check into that also.
Hope this helps some.

coinnut
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks toehead, I'll give that a try along with the other suggestions. As Del has pointed out many times before, I'm not computer savy lol But if I get it done, it will completely amaze him :rolleyes: I'll keep you posted, but that is on the back burner for now. My only real day off is Saturday and so far that's been detecting day thumbsup01