PDA

View Full Version : Creek hunting

CODY
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi
I have a question I know someone has an answer. There are a couple of old parks in my area. There is a shallow creek that runs through them. About 10 ft wide. Normally water is about 6 inches to a foot deep. Mostly sand bottom. Through the park there are a few foot bridges on trails that cross this creek. Has any of you ever shallow water detected an area like this? My thinking is this, couples walking along, throw a coin in, make a wish. Some lover get mad and through a ring in. etc. What do you think about wadding the creek around these old foot bridges?

cdv
10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I say go for it, you might find what you feel is there, however you may find loads of trash too. I just did a creek in a local park that had some recent flooding and washed out loads of dirt and rock. My problem is the bottom is mostly rock and made the digging difficult. It was a bust for me but I will try it again when it is warmer next year, I'll spend more time at it moving rocks to find the goodies. The sand scoop just didn't work well with the amount of rocks in the creek.

Don't forget to post pictures of your finds.

Cliff

Epi-hunter
10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree, it might be hard to recover items using a scoop, and 6 to 12 of water would require such. I haven't used my land machines in anything more than about 3 of water (just on the edges of the sand in lakes/beaches) and it worked fine, although I didn't find much.

396nova
10-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I think it would be worth a try. I have a park with a creek like that. I have not hunted it yet, but it is on my to do list. You will probably find more trash than good target, but until you look you will never know. I`m almost sure it won`t be easy, but some times we are rewarded for hard work. Someone might have crossed the creek with a horse years ago and lost something. The possiblities are endless. Good luck!

tanacat
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Go for it! A good MD friend of mine found some great early 1900's silver at the edge of a creek running through my old college campus! He thought it had been all hunted out (he's been hunting there for 10 yrs).

Just imagine all the people over the years playing, jumping, crawdad hunting or just sitting along that creek bank listening to the soothing water helping to swoosh their worries away- I know I've done all of the above! And prob lost some money at it lol

Unfortunately cans and can slaw are abundant in the creek beds, in my experience. :-\

firstring
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Some of my best and most unusual finds have been at the perimeters of parks, including creeks that go through them. I have observed many people use the shade during the heat of the day. Perhaps some hanky panky at night. Lots of garbage, but every now and again... oldest find 1918 Buff. Last time I recovered a 30 silver chain with silver crucifix. Most unusual find was 9 switch blade knife. If you can tolerate the garbage, the bugs, the berry thorns, work it - no one else will.

The_Machine
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Here is a photo from a hunt on Monday,
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq197/SlasherPhototime/MDHiddenLake.jpg
There was no old coinage, just clad. I went out with the E-Trac, small coil, Pro-pointer and a shovel. Coins were found in the muck, under rocks and trapped between open cracks of old concrete.
Oh there were lots of mosquito's and spider bites. So I should of sprayed some repellant and taped up the pant legs.
HH

BHNugget
10-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Any area you havent tried is worth a try. People are always playing/cooling off in the creek that runs through our city parks here.