PDA

View Full Version : Detectors

CODY
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi
I have a question. Let me say, I do not want to bash any type detector. I am conflicted on something. I started Mding in may. I have a Fisher F4. I really like this machine. I have become one with my machine. I understand it's language. I have decided that I am truly addicted to this sport. I want to go to a higher level machine. I had told myself, if I liked the sport, I would upgrade to a Fisher F75. But, now I hear a lot about the E-trac. I know these are both top of the line machines. Can anyone tell me why one would be so much better that the other? I am really leaning toward the Fisher because I am use to the F4. I have seen several comments about the F75 being unstable. I do not know what this means. Perhaps someone could help. Thanks in advance.

CTDirtFisher
10-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi
I have a question. Let me say, I do not want to bash any type detector. I am conflicted on something. I started Mding in may. I have a Fisher F4. I really like this machine. I have become one with my machine. I understand it's language. I have decided that I am truly addicted to this sport. I want to go to a higher level machine. I had told myself, if I liked the sport, I would upgrade to a Fisher F75. But, now I hear a lot about the E-trac. I know these are both top of the line machines. Can anyone tell me why one would be so much better that the other? I am really leaning toward the Fisher because I am use to the F4. I have seen several comments about the F75 being unstable. I do not know what this means. Perhaps someone could help. Thanks in advance.

Cody... are there any other detectorist around you that have an E-Trac, F75, DFX... or other high end product you can try out ??

Paul

Epi-hunter
10-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi

Hi Cody,

I have a question for you, just so that I can understand what you are looking for. If you are really bonding with the F4, and feel you are one with it, what is it about the F4 that you are feeling you might improve upon with a different machine? I am just asking because that information might help in better answering your upgrade question more completely.

I have never used the F75, but have read a lot of reviews on it, so take this next part in that context. From the reviews, the negatives seem to be that people think it is unstable (sensitive to EMI, meaning that you have to turn the sensitivity down a lot in areas with power lines or other interference which causes you to lose depth). Two other issues I have read are that the machine is lightweight and not very durable, and that it is too sensitive to iron.

I have used one Fisher machine (used it for quite awhile, the Fisher CZ3D) and although it was a very deep machine, it was known to false on iron and no matter what I did, I ended up digging enough nails to start a lumberyard. I do not think the F75 is anywhere close to that but from the reviews I read, it did come up a few times. But, there are many people who absolutely love the F75, and it has overall great reviews.

As for your question as to why one machine would be better than another, it is a personal choice. It is really hard to know what the right decision is, until you try one or the other. And again, I think it too depends on why you are upgrading in the first place; what you are looking for that you don't currently have.

The E-Trac is great with EMI and has excellent depth. It is stable. It is not hard to use (although there is a learning curve in its language, just like any other machine). I love it for those reasons. That is my personal preference. Having never tried the F75, I can't compare them. There are people who don't like the E-Trac for their own reasons, too.

I probably just confused you more lol But, I do think it would help to learn a little more about what you are thinking in terms of the upgrade, what you are looking for that the F4 doesn't have, etc.

CODY
10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I guess the main thing I am looking for is a little better discrimanation. Altho I disc out iron, I still dig a lot of nails. Also bottle caps continue to show up as quarters. I am by no means an expert on these things. I do know the F4 is such an improvment for me over the Whites Basic I had years ago its not even a comparison. I was just thinking that a higher end machine might even be better. Who knows, maybe I should just keep the F4. Its doing a good job for me other than the nails and an occasional bottle cap. Thanks for all ya'lls help. And also I don't know of anyone around that has an F75 or an E-trac. Thanks again.

396nova
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I have not used the F75 or E-Trac, but the F75 is similar to my Teknetics T2. I am sure either machine would be a good choice. Do you really need a new one, maybe not. I am relatively new to hardcore detecting. In the last month I have bought 2 new detectors. I upgraded from a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger, that I have owned for 10 yrs, to a Teknetics T2. Then I decided I wanted to go wading, so I bought a Garrett AT Pro. Both are excellant machines. In 20/20 hind sight, I would only have gotten the AT Pro. If you discriminate too much iron you will miss many good finds. From my observations, the people making good finds sometimes post their trash with the good stuff, most people find some trash. If I get a good consistant ID, I dig. Gold can sound like trash, and bottle caps can get me going. If you can afford a new detector, and not make people mad around the house, go for it. Detecting is like any hobby. Buying new golf clubs, fishing rod, or what ever piece equipment you need for you hobby. Will it improve your results, perhaps. It is always fun playing with a new toy. Keep on digging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!