PDA

View Full Version : BLUSTERY CELLAR HOLE HUNT WITH SMILEY

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
forino and i hit the woods at 9:30 am on this blustery day. first target was this decorative button with a benedict & burnham extra back mark.this button company was here in waterbury,ct back in the 1800's and later merged with scovills or waterbury button.gotta do some more research to see when they merged together.
not many targets around the overgrown thorny cellar hole and tough to swing. mikey found the rusty donut rofl
we headed up the trail swinging and i got a nice penny/dime signal in the middle of the trail where a small trickling stream runs over the trail.dug down and out flipped a gray dime.knew it was silver right away because of the gray color being in the water.saw the back and was hopin it was gonna be a seated but turned out to be a barber.i'll take it! looks like somebody was trying to etch a pair of glasses around her eye
about noon time mikey's little toes were getting cold and we decided to call it a day. damn rookie he is i tell ya!.i was just gettin into it too
it was cold though and can't blame him.hopefully we can get out tomorrow!
happy hunting all!
dave
**FOUND OUT WHEN BENEDICT & BURNHAM MADE BUTTONS
BENEDICT & BURNHAM 1834-1843**

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
more pics

coinnut
01-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Man you sure know how to scratch a dime while digging lol Blame it on the guy who lost it rofl Nice button find again. Man there are a lot of nice buttons down there. Must be nice living near the button factory :yes: Tell Mikeeeeeee he's gotta get some wool socks ;) Ok Dave, I know you didn't really scratch that dime but I got stick ya sometimes :poke: Nice hunt considering how cold it was. Brutal!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Man you sure know how to scratch a dime while digging lol Blame it on the guy who lost it rofl Nice button find again. Man there are a lot of nice buttons down there. Must be nice living near the button factory :yes: Tell Mikeeeeeee he's gotta get some wool socks ;) Ok Dave, I know you didn't really scratch that dime but I got stick ya sometimes :poke: Nice hunt considering how cold it was. Brutal!!

:rolleyes: it wasn't that bad out .i dressed for it but mikey didn't put his wool socks on cuz he couldn't find em rofl
hope you guys do better than we did if ya go tomorrow

angellionel
01-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow, Dave, I'm shivering just thinking about you guys out there detecting today. lol It was very cold down my way. :shocked04:stretcher: You had a good hunt though. thumbsup01

del
01-29-2010, 11:32 PM
very nice two piece button and Barbers are always a welcomed sight , glad ya got out and didn't freeze to death today Dave and as for Mikey and his cold toes they were just complaining because they were use to being in the nice warm sand in Florida welcome back to Connecticut lol :bop: lol

they got a name for guys that go out an do stuff like you two did today . :crazy: :twirlingeyes: :yes: and my wife Suzette will be calling me and George that tomarro when we come home from detecting. lol rofl how did the detectors hold up in the cold :huh: :huh: and it looks like that last storm gave ya how much more snow :huh: :huh:

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-29-2010, 11:40 PM
very nice two piece button and Barbers are always a welcomed sight , glad ya got out and didn't freeze to death today Dave and as for Mikey and his cold toes they were just complaining because they were use to being in the nice warm sand in Florida welcome back to Connecticut lol :bop: lol

they got a name for guys that go out an do stuff like you two did today . :crazy: :twirlingeyes: :yes: and my wife Suzette will be calling me and George that tomarro when we come home from detecting. lol rofl how did the detectors hold up in the cold :huh: :huh: and it looks like that last storm gave ya how much more snow :huh: :huh:

Dan

lol thanks dan.
mikes dfx was actin up.mine was fine thumbsup01
we got like 2 inches here.diggin was pretty good.a few hard spots in the trail.not too bad though.we may go out in the morning till 1 pm.good luck to ya both! bundle up :bop:

John M
01-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Looks like being a little cold was worth it to me.Congrats on the dime and the nice looking button.
BENEDICT & BURNHAM 1834-1843
BENEDICT & BURNHAM MFG CO. 1843-1849
Later on turned into Waterbury button co.

bmattioli
01-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Nice Barber Dave and a good pull.. It was so cold out there and couldn't think to be out in those temps, I think it was below zero with the wind chill.

MassDirtFisher
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Nice hunt Dave. I think that button is awesome. Congrats on the good day. Happy Hunting!!