PDA

View Full Version : I saw my first detectorist today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396nova
10-11-2011, 08:08 PM
<: I was hunting the grassy area of one of my regular city parks on the shore of Lake Michigan today when I spotted him wading the shore line about a 1/4 mile from me. I walk down the hill and across the beach and introduced myself. We talked for 10-15 minutes. He has been detecting for about 20 years, and had some interesting stories of find. He gave me hope that I will find my silver. He had not found much today, but had pulled out a WAR NICKEL in about 2' of water. I thought it was cool. His name was Jeff, and like the people on this site was friendly and helpful. I told him of a 100+ year old farm I have permission to hunt, but I was hunting the park today, because I wanted quantity (some clad). He said he would rather have quality, so if it doesn`t rain tomorrow, I`m going back to the farm.

And thanks to everyone on this site for being both helpful and friendly. |:cheering:

jkress
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
It's always fun to meet other detectorists. My two best hunting buddies I met while out detecting. Been hunting with them ever since.
Yep... definitely spend some time at the farm. Go slow and methodical, your first silver will show up soon.
Good luck.

tanacat
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm with ya thumbsup01 I live in a city of almost 1 million and have only seen 2 other people detecting over 2 yr period! I've also run into a few others detecting the parks in nearby towns- totalling prob 5 people in my vicinity. My MD friends I've accumulated by starting a club last year, we have about 25 members and everyone is from different towns in central ky. Maybe you two will start a club!

It sure is fun to have a hunting buddy- hope you guys get to go to the old farm tomorrow!

aloldstuff
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice post. That is how I met one of my hunting partners. We basically hunt together alot and are always in some sort of competition for the day. I love it.

OxShoeDrew
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I never see detectorists because I hunt cellar holes but when I get to a site the first thing I do is look for their signs. You know, if they marked the trees with their scent etc

milco
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
That's cool, rarely see any myself. All of my acquaintances have come through introductions by other mutual friend MDers or through forums.