PDA

View Full Version : Short Lunch Hunt yields worn Merc

milco
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I went back at lunch today to the spot where I got the 1964 quarter last week. I hunted for about 40 minutes and found this very worn Merc at about six inches. Bounced between zinc/copper penny on my machine like a wheat cent usually does.

randy
10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
That one has seen better days, hasn't it? Nice score in any case. I think what happens is the machines go by the thickness of the target, and worn, thin mercs will ring lower than normal silver dimes. I was hunting this site where someone had cherrypicked the silver but left the wheaties, what they didn't know is that they were also leaving the worn mercs for me as well :happydance01:

Tony Two-Cent
10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I like worn Mercs just as well as nicer ones, they have more history. I have noticed the same thing that Randy mentioned, silver dimes that are very worn will produce signals that are more like wheat cents. I have been surprised several times when I'm sure I'm digging a wheat cent but a worn Merc pops out of the hole.

Very nice hunt! :clapping:

RaZR
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Still it's a keeper huh!
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who gets a handfull of coins and two hands full of trash. :grin:

Ill Digger
10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
worn, thin mercs will ring lower than normal silver dimes.

silver dimes that are very worn will produce signals that are more like wheat cents. I have been surprised several times when I'm sure I'm digging a wheat cent but a worn Merc pops out of the hole.

I gotta agree with Randy and Tony :yes: Same thing here...

Worn or not...she's beautiful! :yes: thumbsup01
And on lunch time too...how nice! :daydream:
Congrats Darren! :grin:

aloldstuff
10-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Nice recovery, the other responders have given me some information concerning the thickness of a silver. Now it looks like I'll be digging more holes .....

JTGOLD
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
worn or not it still a nice find,wtg.