PDA

View Full Version : Did Some Door Knocking!

Bell-Two
10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Doug, Diane and I decided to do some door knocking this afternoon so we could take advantage of such a beautiful day. Doug came by after work and we drove out in the country and after checking out a few farmhouses I spotted one that looked like a good candidate. The owner graciously gave permission and watched and asked some questions while we were hunting. He was very interested and quietly observed. His eight year old daughter was fascinated and she too would check out what was happening when we would stop to dig a target. She was delighted when Doug found a small silver plated ring and gave it to her she ran off to show her mother right away. I hit the first target a wonderful sounding 12-45 and…. I got a little toy car! Meanwhile Doug had only taken a few steps into the yard turned his detector on and got a nice signal right away. I was busy retrieving what would turn out to be a wheat penny when I looked at Doug and he quietly mouthed “WOW” it turns out his target was a bit better than mine, a 1901 Barber Half! His first Barber half ever. Doug got a few wheats and then an odd looking coin that at first he thought was a token. It turned out to be a 1916 25 ces coin from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg! He seems to have a knack for finding the old foreign coins. I then found a very clean wheatie which I later found was a 1909, no S or VDB but still a nice find. Up closer to the house I had to go into TTF and was able to pull out a 1956 Rosey so I was on the silver board. I also found two interesting decorative artifacts which I haven’t identified as of yet. Diane was not finding any oldies and we were about ready to go when she wanted to dig a final target so I strolled around a bit and got a very nice sounding 12-45 to 12-46 signal and so my final target turned out to be an 1828 Large Cent! We had a great time and got some keepers thanks to the kindness of the property owner who let us hunt.

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=8]

Hunting With Bell-Two #67 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIehyzmd2nA#ws)

firstring
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Great finds. My wife keeps telling me if you don't ask you'll never know. It's great to have people allow hunting on their property. It's even better to make a little girl happy in your sharing buried treasure. Makes for good memories. Congratulations

randy
10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Sweet hunt, and that largie looks pretty nice, :smitten:

CODY
10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Great finds. Thanks for sharing

bob_e99
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Nice finds and I'm fascinated by your ability to knock on doors to ask for permission. If I may ask, how do you deal with your finds and the owner? Also, since most people hesitate to have someone dig in their grass, I assume that you detect in other areas around the house? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Thanks.

Bell-Two
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Nice finds and I'm fascinated by your ability to knock on doors to ask for permission. If I may ask, how do you deal with your finds and the owner? Also, since most people hesitate to have someone dig in their grass, I assume that you detect in other areas around the house? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Thanks.

Well I do not bring up any splitting of finds unless it is broached to me first, I have never been asked to split finds though. Several times they ask to let them know what we find. Sometimes you are asked what you do with the things you find, I always tell them the truth that I never sell anything it is just a hobby. When you get permission I hunt primarly first the front of the house starting at doorways areas. We are practiced enough to dig decent plugs so generally it is not a problem. Most old farm houses do not have manicured lawns so there is not much angst on the owners part.

pulltabsteve
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Beautiful Barber, dated buff and LC. Congrats on a fine hunt |:cheering:

Dixie Rebel
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Good going Tony. I see the E-Trac has been good to you.

Epi-hunter
10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow!! Some beautiful finds! :happydance01: Great hunt |:cheering:

aloldstuff
10-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Well I do not bring up any splitting of finds unless it is broached to me first, I have never been asked to split finds though. Several times they ask to let them know what we find. Sometimes you are asked what you do with the things you find, I always tell them the truth that I never sell anything it is just a hobby. When you get permission I hunt primarly first the front of the house starting at doorways areas. We are practiced enough to dig decent plugs so generally it is not a problem. Most old farm houses do not have manicured lawns so there is not much angst on the owners part.

First off, great hunting. Those keepers would make any detectorist happy :happydance01:.

When I knock on a door, I usually explain who I am,what I am doing there. If the question of finds come up I also say I never sell anything but I have a standard rule anything over $1000 we split. That usually evokes a chuckle and a smile from the homeowner. I always ask if any family member has lost any jewelry so that it can be returned.

Congrats on your recoveries

Bell-Two
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
First off, great hunting. Those keepers would make any detectorist happy :happydance01:.

When I knock on a door, I usually explain who I am,what I am doing there. If the question of finds come up I also say I never sell anything but I have a standard rule anything over $1000 we split. That usually evokes a chuckle and a smile from the homeowner. I always ask if any family member has lost any jewelry so that it can be returned.

Congrats on your recoveries

I do something similar, I always say the first gold bar I find is yours because I am not greedy but the second one we will have to discuss! lol

Mudder
10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Great story and some really sweet finds. You guys done real good. Congrats on a great hunt. |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Thats one for each of you. thumbsup01

Sal66
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey nice finds!! Those Coronet Lg. Cents usually don't come up that nice for some reason, for me anyway. It's a good one for sure. Everything else is great also.
Congrats! Sal