PDA

View Full Version : Story of first SLQ

CODY
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi guys
I've have got to tell ya'll the story behind this SLQ. I work for the Police Dept. About a month or so ago I answered a call about an attempted robbery of a lawn mower. The gentleman who had called was 73 years old. He has had the West Nile Virus and is one of the lucky few that survived it. Well after dealing with his problem we got to talking about his home. Built in the 20's. I asked permission to hunt it, which he gave. When I hunted it he followed me around on his cane and watched every hole I dug. He was so excited. The next day when I arrived he had gotten permission from all his neighbors. All houses built about the same time. He has been there every day, toting my stuff, bringing me drinks etc. It seems I have given this fine gentleman a reason to get up every morning. Anyway. Yesterday we were hunting a yard that he had got permission for. The house had been torn down and it was a vacant lot. Down here in Miss. we have a lot of clay. This yard was like concrete because we havent had any rain in a while. I got a good quarter sig on my F4. Slammed the shovel into the ground. It went maybe a inch. When I pried down the clay plug poped up. The SLQ lept out of the hole and landed about a foot from the hole. It was like the earth just threw it up. LOL Anyway the old man saw it and said,What the h__l is that. I said its got to be a new one being no deeper than it was. You can imagine how suprised I was. The old man was dancing a jig. It was so funny. Made my day.

CTDirtFisher
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
The old man was dancing a jig. It was so funny. Made my day.

CODY thank you for sharing... great story... better yet is the joy your broght to this gentlemans life :-)

Paul

milco
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
A great find, a great story and sounds like you got a good partner there.

del
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
sounds like you made a great new friend Cody and i bet he's a wealth of knowledge about the old areas around town congrats on the SLQ too

bob_e99
10-12-2011, 05:37 PM
It's great to hear stories like that and that quarter is a great find. I wish it were that easy to get people here to give permission to detect on their lawn. Too many think detectors tear up the grass.

Continued luck with those sites.

Spike
10-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Nice SLQ and neat story thumbsup01

Ill Digger
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Great story! :clapping: lol
They do shine like they're new :yes:
But that ones far from new! thumbsup01
Congrats on the SLQ :grin: ....and Congrats on makin' a new friend! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Cody, that's one of the best stories I've heard in a long time. Thank you for sharing it.

And congratulations on an excellent find!

CyberSage
10-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Cody,
This is what it is really all about. Good for you for sharing your hunts with him. I just recently found my first SLQ, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a chance to spend time with that oldtimer. :) Congratulations, and thanks for a wonderful story.

Jack

aloldstuff
10-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Excellent story. I had to chuckle with the image of the old man doing his jig. I wish I could get my metal detecting partners to tote my stuff and bring me drinks. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

Mudder
10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Wonderful story, and a great coin. My very first was also a SLQ. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: