PDA

View Full Version : Found the big one today

jkress
10-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Headed out to a country site with the intentions of starting a series of hunts to slowly grid off the entire site.
I haven't hunted here since last year and it has always been on my list to revisit.

As it turned out, I didn't have very much time to hunt so instead of starting the grid process... I chose to wander around
some of the 'less obvious' areas of this site. Picked up a Wheat pretty quickly and then the Buffalo.

About a half hour later I came across a similar signal that has produced some IH's nestled in trash for me before.
Went in to the ground hoping for an 'off signal' Indian Head and ended up extremely surprised when a big silver disc landed
on my towel with the second handful of dirt. I sat motionless for a few seconds looking at the disc realizing it was bigger
than a half dollar. <:

In hindsight, the cursor was pegged right where the book says a silver dollar should be. Just didn't consider that's what it actually was. :rolleyes:

This coin has a crazy MS65 dollar value in the Red Book for some reason. :confused:

One of my best coins this year and metal detecting memories to boot...
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-165.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-166.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-167.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-168.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-170.jpg

If I am going to have a one silver day... this is the one to get. :happydance01:

del
10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
:omg: :wow: holy mackeral Joe she's a real beauty too :perfect10: :perfect10: what a great coin :clapping: |:confused:) :clapping: i think i would have wet myself after pulling that big georgous coin out :embarrassed: lol lol hey mega congrats sir :cheering: :cheering: :beerbuddy:

RaZR
10-13-2011, 07:35 PM
S W E E T !!!!!! :perfect10:.
That is one nice Morgan. Your buffalo nickle looks pretty nice too!
Great finds for a short hunt. :happydance01:

tanacat
10-13-2011, 07:37 PM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy... lol

I bet you still have butterflies and shaky hands from this one |:cheering:

Now I have to look up that crazy MS65 number.

I found this on EBay :shocked03:

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1901-MORGAN-DOLLAR-SILVER-NGC-MS62-RARE-KEY-DATE-/260866029416?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3cbcd 3b768]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1901-MORGAN-DOLLAR-SILVER-NGC-MS62-RARE-KEY-DATE-/260866029416?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3cbcd 3b76:dontknow:/url]

I just checked my Red Book :shocked03: :shocked03: :shocked03:

That sure is a big jump from EF to MS65. Think it might be AU-50?

BHNugget
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats Joe, shes a beauty!!!! :beerbuddy: thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
This is the BIG ONE!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/big-one.jpg

I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth!

Incredible coin, Joe! Just a mind-blowing find! Great photos too, I love them all, but especially the one with your detector lying beside the hole with the Morgan on top of the dirt pile. I am very happy for you! |:cheering:

Congrats on THE BIG ONE! |:confused:)

dave in iowa
10-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Holy Buckets Joe . you got one , great job . great aint it . awesome find

Dixie Rebel
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Now that is one good looking woman there congrats. When I found my first silver dollar I packed up and went home. lol

skribnodsister
10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow Joe thats awesome!!! Congrats on the big one :perfect10:

randy
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh my, that is special, isn't it. Big congrats :perfect10:

pulltabsteve
10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
JOE!!!!!! Thats AMAZING!!! :perfect10: |:cheering: :peace: Couldnt have been found by a better person! Congrats :perfect10: <:

milco
10-13-2011, 09:38 PM
:perfect10: Wow and Wow again! That is so awesome Joe! What a beauty! I bet you just keep stairing at it over an over again! :shocked03:

milco
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh and by the way, time to upgrade the avatar!

angellionel
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Astounding find, Joe! :clapping: Those large silver pieces will freeze you on the spot. lol And she is in sweet condition too. I hope you recorded your mandatory happy dance. :happydance01: lol

CyberSage
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Nice job Joe! She is in wonderful shape. Congratulations on just a spectacular find. Sometimes just taking a walk is a good thing. I grid a lot, but I do enjoy a stroll with the detector. Good to see that BIG Silver make it to the light of day. :perfect10:

Bell-Two
10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Super fantastic...such a beautiful coin simply awesome! :perfect10:

Ill Digger
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM
This is the BIG ONE!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/big-one.jpg

I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth!
<} rofl Thats great Tony! Thats what I was thinking too! lol

You gotta be kiddin' me!! :shocked03: :shocked04:
When you buy a metal detector, this is it! This is what we all strive for! :drool: A silver dollar! :drool:
You found A SILVER DOLLAR!! <: happydance02 :happydance01: :peace: :clapping: |:confused:)
Mega Congrats on that one!! :envious: :grin:

In hindsight, the cursor was pegged right where the book says a silver dollar should be. Just didn't consider that's what it actually was. :rolleyes:
lol Yeah! Thats because it's usually a crushed beer can a foot deep! :rolleyes: lol >{

Congrats again buddy! thumbsup01

switch
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
:omg: :happydance01:

jkress
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
i think i would have wet myself after pulling that big georgous coin out :embarrassed:

lol I almost did. :embarrassed: rofl Thanks Dan.

That is one nice Morgan. Your buffalo nickle looks pretty nice too!

Thank you RaZR. I appreciate it. You are right, I was quite surprised at the detail of the Buffalo when I rubbed the dirt away.

I bet you still have butterflies and shaky hands from this one |:cheering:

I just checked my Red Book :shocked03: :shocked03: :shocked03:

Yes, I have picked it up and looked at it more times than I would like to admit here. lol
It is definitely an anomaly of a coin. Why such a big value on the higher grades? :confused:
I wish this one was dropped much sooner after being introduced to circulation. :cheesysmile:
Thanks Tana.

Congrats Joe, shes a beauty!!!! :beerbuddy: thumbsup01

Thank you BHN. I'm still admiring her beauty. :smitten:

Incredible coin, Joe! Just a mind-blowing find! Great photos too, I love them all, but especially the one with your detector lying beside the hole with the Morgan on top of the dirt pile. I am very happy for you! |:cheering:

I appreciate it Tony. I'm glad I brought a camera along today. Normally I don't bring a camera along but today I'm glad I did.
Sometimes I wonder if bringing it along is a curse. :rolleyes: But today I proved otherwise. :yes: lol

you got one , great job .

Thanks Dave, I still can't believe I got my coil over one. :daydream:

When I found my first silver dollar I packed up and went home. lol

lol I circled mine on an outward spiral looking for another one. :embarrassed: rofl No more were to be found though. lol Thanks.

Wow Joe thats awesome!!! Congrats on the big one :perfect10:

Thank you Donna. thumbsup01

Oh my, that is special, isn't it. Big congrats :perfect10:

Yes, one of my favorite finds of the year.

JOE!!!!!! Thats AMAZING!!! :perfect10: |:cheering: :peace:

Thank you Steve... I appreciate it. :embarrassed:

I bet you just keep stairing at it over an over again! :shocked03:

Definitely. I kept her in the passenger seat the whole way home. Looked at her every chance I got... and a few times I probably shouldn't have. :cheesysmile: lol

jkress
10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Those large silver pieces will freeze you on the spot. lol And she is in sweet condition too. I hope you recorded your mandatory happy dance. :happydance01: lol

Thank you Angel. Yep, there was a 20 second stop in time when I first noticed the coin on my dirt pile. Only thing that came to mind was... That's bigger than a half dollar. lol I guess I didn't want to admit to myself at the time of what I thought it looked like.
By the way... no, I did not record the happy dance. I certainly don't want any copies of that floating out here on the net. :cheesysmile:

Nice job Joe! She is in wonderful shape. Congratulations on just a spectacular find. Sometimes just taking a walk is a good thing. I grid a lot, but I do enjoy a stroll with the detector. Good to see that BIG Silver make it to the light of day. :perfect10:

Thanks Jack. I'm still more of a walker than a gridder... but I'm constantly working on changing that ratio. :yes: It is nice to see
any silver be rescued from the depth of darkness. Anything brought out to the light of day for someone to appreciate is a great thing.

Super fantastic...such a beautiful coin simply awesome! :perfect10:

I appreciate it BT. thumbsup01

When you buy a metal detector, this is it! This is what we all strive for! :drool: A silver dollar! :drool:
You found A SILVER DOLLAR!! <: happydance02 :happydance01: :peace: :clapping: |:confused:)

Thanks again Tim. :) It was great getting your call tonight. I was probably talking a mile a minute. lol
You've always told me to not complain about one silver coin hunts. Now I see your reasoning. :yes: lol

:omg: :happydance01:

Thanks switch. :)

Ill Digger
10-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks again Tim. :) It was great getting your call tonight. I was probably talking a mile a minute. lol
:thinkingabout: Hummm............................Yeah :yes: .....you were :yes: rofl
But that should be normal! If you were ho-hum about it......then..... :yes: well then I'd be worried! lol
I had to call and tell Theola. He said Congrats! And welcome to the Morgan Club! :clapping:
Congrats again! :envious:

CODY
10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
WOW! Its probably a good thing I havent found one. I would probably have a heart attack right there and then. If i can't find one, at least you did. I am very very happy for you. Congrats!

aloldstuff
10-14-2011, 07:17 AM
:perfect10: |:confused:) Holy Cow....what a find. That coin looks absolutly beautiful. Is this your first silver dollar?? The picture of the dirt pile and the coin on top of the dirt is great. Huge congrats on your hunt. I checked out tanacat's link and WOW on the price....

Epi-hunter
10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, I am late on this one, but :omg: :omg: :omg: :wow: :wow:

Fantastic score Joe!!!!! :perfect10: :perfect10:

I am just disappointed that you didn't record the dance! That would have been one to see lol <: <:

bob_e99
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes, if you have only a one silver day, that certainly is the one to get. :loveit: :drool: :twirlingeyes:

Congrats on a superb find, just awesome!

:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

lee
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
what can i say ? oh my.............just stunning mate ,well done.

skribnod
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Congrats on the awesome find. Don't see those posted very often, that would be my find of the year. :perfect10:

jkress
10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I am very very happy for you. Congrats!

Thank you CODY. thumbsup01

Is this your first silver dollar?? The picture of the dirt pile and the coin on top of the dirt is great.

Yes, my first. That is my favorite picture too. :smitten:

I am just disappointed that you didn't record the dance! That would have been one to see lol <: <:

Thanks Angie. It is a dig I will not soon forget.
It might have been one to see... but not a pretty one. lol

Yes, if you have only a one silver day, that certainly is the one to get. :loveit: :drool: :twirlingeyes:

Yep! :yes:

just stunning mate ,well done.

Thank you lee. :)

Congrats on the awesome find. Don't see those posted very often, that would be my find of the year. :perfect10:

Thanks JR, I appreciate it. It is definitely at the top of my favorite finds list this year.

Thanks again everyone. It was fun to share the experience with you all. :)

Sal66
11-08-2011, 10:00 AM
:perfect10: That Morgan is truly a nice one! Even if it's not the Double Die variety, I'd say it's an EF-40 or better. The 2011 price guide says $125, but with Silver prices the way they are it's worth much more. Definitely a nice addition to your collection. Congrat's again !!