PDA

View Full Version : The Beach, Mother Nature and a cold, a week in review.

cdv
10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
This may be a long post, sorry...

I just got back and unpacked from a week at Ocean City Maryland. This turned out to be an eventful week battling Mother Nature and a cold but somehow I managed. This week was an exact opposite from 5 weeks ago at Myrtle Beach. The wife and I of course had visions of gold and ice but other than the ones on her hand, we saw neither of them. Ocean City (IMHO) is one of the cleanest beaches I've hunted so far. Admittedly I don't have alot to go by in comparison other than Myrtle and a few fresh water beaches but honestly if it wasn't for the bobbie pins I got, I would have been bored. All week long I didn't get 6 bottle caps and couldn't have hit more than that many pull tabs and I use a PI in the water. On top of that, mother nature beat me to a pulp when I could safely get in the water. I learned a valuable lesson again, always use the scoop for an anchor in bigger waves and don't face them. I had my headphones ripped from my head twice and the one and only time I faced a wave, I found myself body surfing over the sandbar on my arse! I had a good laugh with that one and then went back and found my target in the cave I was digging.... yep, a bobbie pin.

Wind and wave action prevented hunting the far side of the sandbar except for two times last week (kind of tentative being out in the water over knee deep at night), I got a cold and had trouble with a cough and fever but still went out at least twice each day. I put a minimum of 8 hours each day detecting, low tide started at 1am (approx) on Monday and I was up and out then, (wife thinks I'm insane). Due to the lack of targets in the dry sand, my wife didn't do any detecting after Tuesday but would walk along the shore with me. Friday a storm blew in after the wife dropped me over a mile north of the hotel. I started to the boardwalk to find shelter in the sandstorm from the wind and decided that it would blow over since I could see the sun on the other side of the storm and I hadn't heard any thunder so back to the water for me. It poured but I was already wet and in a wetsuit so what the heck, right? After a short time, the sun came out and I saw a sign, a double rainbow for the longest time in the sky, now I'll get my yellow..... well, almost how about copper..... or copper color.... within 6 feet, I got two Duracell AA batteries, it just wasn't to be this week!

Below are some of the photos of the finds, kindof the best of the worse but in spite of no glory this week, I did get ring number 19 for the year (and my year started when I did in June).

HH to all

Cliff

396nova
10-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Good results. That mother nature can be a mean lady. Some times luck plays a big roll in our success. Good post, and even better luck in the future.

Shipwreck
11-05-2011, 03:31 PM
thumbsup01WtG