PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre hunt saved by a lone...

Tony Two-Cent
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Barber!

I bet you thought I was going to say Merc, didn't you? lol

Yes, once again my day's hunt has produced a lone silver dime, but at least this time it's a Barber instead of a Merc! And although I seem to be able to only find one silver coin per hunt most of the time, at least it saves me from the Silverless Drive Home of Shame! rofl

This morning I headed to a small town that is about 40 minutes north of here. I started hunting at the grade school, but after a couple of hours and only two wheat cents I decided to head across town to an old ball park. This ball park looks really old, there are some HUGE oak trees around the edges of the site. The original old grade school used to sit on the corner in front of the ball field.

I did eventually find a very trashy but moderately productive area around the old concession stand. Several times an old bottle cap or pulltab came out of the hole with the coin. The Barber Dime was a nice surprise. It wasn't what I would call a great signal, but there was just enough of a broken high pitched chirp there to make me dig.

I had to leave early so I could make it home in time for the Illinois vs. Ohio State football game, but I will defintely be heading back to this old ball field again! (And after the way the football game turned out I should have stayed there detecting!)

Here are my finds for the day, including another happenstance marble:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Pile-107-1.jpg

And here are the keepers, six wheaties and the 1902 Barber:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Display-107.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Display-1015.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Display-1015-Rev.jpg

396nova
10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver they tell me is always good, and I enjoy your posts, so I can see silver. The wheat`s are very nice. If you find those there should be more silver. Good luck!

Epi-hunter
10-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Barber!

I bet you thought I was going to say Merc, didn't you? lol

No, that would be MY day (today) lol :hairpulling:

Congratulations on the barber! :happydance01: lots of wheats too. And what is the thing with the numbers on it?

Tony Two-Cent
10-15-2011, 07:43 PM
And what is the thing with the numbers on it?

Some kind of charm or pendant, I guess? :dontknow:

It produced a very solid 12-46 signal like silver, and it looks like it might be gold plated. However, there is nothing stamped on the back at all. The rows of numbers all add up to 21. It wasn't very deep and I don't think it's old.

jkress
10-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah... it's great when a Barber saves the hunt. :clapping:
Plenty to dig plus a nice shinny silver, nothing mediocre about that.
Yeah, right away I started to figure out the significance of those numbers. :confused:
I did notice that the rows and columns plus the two diagonals equal 21.
Great hunt Tony.

pulltabsteve
10-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Nice digs Tony! Silver on every hunt is nice |:cheering: If I added up my silverlesss drive home of shame lately I could probably drive cross country.....

randy
10-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Way to avoid the dreaded drive of shame. thumbsup01 You and I both know there is more silver there :yes: good luck.

CODY
10-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Great finds, Congrats on the Barber.

bob_e99
10-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Great finds! That old silver is always a sight for the eyes.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

hockeyguy
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Nice tickets tony!

aloldstuff
10-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Tony, thank you for finding a Barber and not a merc. I would love to find a Barber dime this year but I am running out of time. Nice hunting

Mudder
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Tony, there was not a thing wrong with your hunt, and your not going to get silver every time. We wish we did, but I have taken that drive you were talking about several times during the past month. Congrats on a great looking Barber. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Full Metal Digger
10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Congrats Tony. That looks like a good hunt to me! Best wishes and HH, Dave.