PDA

View Full Version : only a couple of finds

del
10-16-2011, 01:19 PM
not alot of finds from this saturday's few hour hunt at the same site we (George and i ) have been hitting for the last three weekends .

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/rosaamericanasite.jpg

the targets are definately getting fewer around or close to the cellar , so i ventured out into a large overgrown field . for 3 hours i only heard about 10 targets 4 shotgun shells , 1 piece of flatstock iron , 1 iron shoe buckle part and 4 nonferrous targets . the first good target was a very ratty sounding one but deep almost 10 inches and turned out to be a brass or coper alloy plate of somekind . it had two rusty nails still attached to it as you can see from the picture (after i got it home ) , i'm still not sure what it goes to but the pictures looks like a scene of a wooden bridge over a stream .

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/stampedcopperitem1.jpg

with that safely in my pouch i started working the area slowly for other hits and not 8 feet away i got a great hit (the tone i love to hear from that DFX) it was a copper at around 3 1/2 inches . it was a thin one pretty dirty but i could make out a counterstamp or stamps of somekind .

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/counterstampedcoinandtools1.jpg

later when i got it home i recognized the coin and date 1775 King George III half penny copper but the counterstamps look almost hand carved . it looks like a backwards S and E on either side of the lady character on the reverse http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/1775KGIIIcounterstampedreverse1.jpg

theres a date of 1793 across the bust of King George on the obverse .it makes it one of the first items i have recovered with a colonial hand carved date on it :happydance01: :happydance01: (just a note this coin is still uncleaned )
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/1775KGIIIcounterstampedobversewith17931.jpg

the only other good targets in the immediate area of the coin was a broken heartshaped heel plate
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/brokenheartshapedheelplate1.jpg

a iron chape and tongue from a shoe buckle
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/ironchapeandtonguefromshoebuckle1.jpg

and a brass circled brooch or pin on type piece of jewelry i can only imagine it was gold or silver gilted at one time .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/broochorpin1.jpg

i think George and i will be giving this place a break for the next couple of weekends as i have located some interesting new sites to check out . until then Happy hunting all.

Dan

pulltabsteve
10-16-2011, 02:51 PM
As always Dan, you made some awesome finds! The KG is amazing! Why would the date be scribed in it? On the side with the S and E it looks like it has the date... :thinkingabout:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
cool copper Dan! love that bridge scene plate too.maybe a broken sash buckle nailed to a post in the house? :dontknow:

Epi-hunter
10-16-2011, 05:20 PM
As usual, your only a couple of finds would make my month! |:cheering:

Love the old coin, although I don't understand why someone would carve on it? :thinkingabout: Really like the copper brass plate whatever-it-is too -- very cool. Glad that you and George had a good day out, even if not what you were hoping thumbsup01

randy
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
That bridge relic is really cool :smitten:, and any day with a copper is a good day.

sniffy
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Very interesting counterstamp. Looks like a nice day out. :crying02: |:cheering:

del
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
As always Dan, you made some awesome finds! The KG is amazing! Why would the date be scribed in it? On the side with the S and E it looks like it has the date... :thinkingabout:

thanks Steve
yes the side with the S & E has the coin's 1775 date at the bottom under the line.
theres a few reasons for carving stamps or putting counterstamps on coins , the most common reason was free advertising but suspect this one is for another purpose. i'm going tp try to find this S.E. hopefully its a person associated with the homesite.

cool copper Dan! love that bridge scene plate too.maybe a broken sash buckle nailed to a post in the house? :dontknow:

thank you Dave it could be part of a sash buckle .

As usual, your only a couple of finds would make my month! |:cheering:

Love the old coin, although I don't understand why someone would carve on it? :thinkingabout: Really like the copper brass plate whatever-it-is too -- very cool. Glad that you and George had a good day out, even if not what you were hoping thumbsup01

thanks ,
Angie i'll just throw out a scenario on the coin . S. E. could of been an individual that happened to be born or died , got married on that particular year and someone wanted have something to remember it by and made a moment to carry around .
George squeeked out a rough large cent at the last minute :rolleyes: what else is new huh. lol lol

That bridge relic is really cool :smitten:, and any day with a copper is a good day.

thanks you Randy i couldn't agree with you more . :grin:

Very interesting counterstamp. Looks like a nice day out. :crying02: |:cheering:

thanks Jesse

Ill Digger
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
:shocked01: Now there's a find with some character :shocked04: thumbsup01
I'm at a lost for words. I mean that's sooo unique ! :drool:
Wow ! What a find!
Congrats Dan! :clapping: :grin:

Full Metal Digger
10-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I wonder if it is something like a memorial coin (is there such a thing?) Someone (S.E.) was born in 1775 and died in 1793 maybe?

jkress
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Great recoveries Dan. :clapping: You always make it out of the woods with some nice keepers.
The Copper is pretty cool. If only the coin could talk. :->
I really like the plate too.
Well done.

del
10-17-2011, 02:25 AM
:shocked01: Now there's a find with some character :shocked04: thumbsup01
I'm at a lost for words. I mean that's sooo unique ! :drool:
Wow ! What a find!
Congrats Dan! :clapping: :grin:

thanks Tim , i thought it was a very personal and unique find as well.

I wonder if it is something like a memorial coin (is there such a thing?) Someone (S.E.) was born in 1775 and died in 1793 maybe?

that thought has crossed my mind to DD , i'm in the process of finding out more info on the family who lived at this site . thanks

Great recoveries Dan. :clapping: You always make it out of the woods with some nice keepers.
The Copper is pretty cool. If only the coin could talk. :->
I really like the plate too.
Well done.

thanks Joe , i try hard at it lol lol

tanacat
10-17-2011, 07:36 AM
That's really neat! :clapping: I also like the plate w/bridge- maybe a rosette?? What's on the back?

Toadman
10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I heard a long time ago, that colonial villages would take colonial coins, and make them thier own currency by stamping them

del
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
That's really neat! :clapping: I also like the plate w/bridge- maybe a rosette?? What's on the back?

Tana it is just a thin copper-alloy plate with the pressed image on it and reversed image on the back , it doesn't look like any rosette i've ever seen . i'm sure it was used for somekind of decoration on what i'm really not sure yet . thanks for asking

I heard a long time ago, that colonial villages would take colonial coins, and make them thier own currency by stamping them

Rick , after doing some research your idea might have some ring of trueth to it . in colonial days most towns were part of other towns or parishes (a territorial area under the pastoral care and clerical jurisdiction of one parish priest) and later broke off or away from one parish to form another parish or town . this sometimes took years or decades of petitioning and money to influence the powers that be to finally pass and accept this as rule or law.

with that said this particular town Sterling Ct. i was detecting in did first get its independence / recognition and finally separate from the original township of Voluntown in 1793 like the coin 's stamp and the S. E. could stand for Sterling Established

heres an excerp from some Sterling history background.

Sterling obtained town privileges without the customary
struggle. The inconvenience arising from the peculiar wlongation of
ancient Voluntown was abundantly manifest, and a proposition, April
25th, 1793, to divide into two towns met immediate acceptance. The
resolve incorporating the new town was passed May, 1794

OxShoeDrew
10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow, that copper is twice the history! I hope it cleans up nicely for you. I wouldn't want to clean it...yikes

pulltabsteve
10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Great research Dan :clapping: |:confused:)

KirkPA
10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
That is one heck of a copper! :peace: You are having a great year, Dan. I have the Colonial passion! rofl:cheering: That beautiful shoe buckle is waiting for you, my friend. |:confused:)

Kirk |:cheering: