PDA

View Full Version : Barber, Mercs, Rosie, Buffalos and more

jkress
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Tried my luck at a small town common yesterday morning. I've pulled a couple of silvers from this spot in the
past but not much for my pocket at the end of the Sunday morning hunt.

A couple wheat cents and two junk rings.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-170.jpg

However tonight's hunt was much more fun. I've recently received permission to hunt the Fire Stations in town.
The Fire Station I chose to hunt tonight was built in 1905.

I started in the open part of the yard and quickly determined (as suspected) that I have not been the only
detectorist to swing a coil here. After a half hour of only two trashy wheat cents, I knew I needed to get in close along side
of the brick building where the trash line always seems to be the heaviest. The first 3 feet out from old buildings
seem to have loads of metal objects in the ground. Hoping if I went slow enough, I'd find a few goodies the previous hunters missed.

After a couple of square nails fooled me into taking the bait, I was off and running finding keepers in the iron patch.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-171.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-172.jpg

Also found two tokens. One looks like it was also a watch fob.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-173.jpg

The 1916 Mercury is too worn to see a mint mark. There does look to be a little something there, but it is unidentifiable.
However the Barber is the 1893O which is a semi-key.

Epi-hunter
10-17-2011, 08:13 PM
:happydance01: :peace: I knew I would see this post tonight |:cheering:

Great job on the silver! That site is a keeper for sure. You and that SE are really one, Joe :perfect10: I love the tokens too :yes:

CODY
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Very nice finds!

Ill Digger
10-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Now thats the Jkress I know! :yes: :clapping:
A token finding machine! :yes:
And look at all the silver!! A dime Tri-fecta!! Sweet!
Thats the first token / watch fob I've seen before! Thats cool! :cool:
Congrats! :clapping: :grin:

jkress
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
:happydance01: :peace: I knew I would see this post tonight |:cheering:

Thanks Angie. I didn't make the call in time on Saturday to get in the site this weekend, as you already knew... but the house captain was due in Monday morning and that call was definitely on my list of things to do today. lol Here I was hoping for an unhunted area and found myself reverting back to park skills and heading into the trashy areas to find coins. :rolleyes: You gotta do what you gotta do. :yes:

Very nice finds!

Thank you. :)

A token finding machine! :yes:
And look at all the silver!! A dime Tri-fecta!! Sweet!
Thats the first token / watch fob I've seen before! Thats cool! :cool:

Thanks Tim. Didn't realize it until you pointed it out that I had a tri-fecta. :happydance01:
I do love getting my coil over tokens. :smitten:

skribnodsister
10-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice finds Joe, the silver is sweet: :peace: Is that last one a watch fob or just a token? Which ever way it is-it's way cool. Congrats

jkress
10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Is that last one a watch fob or just a token? Which ever way it is-it's way cool. Congrats

I think it is both. I sincerely doubt anyone would make a watch fob out of this after the fact. The vendor probably realized it
was better marketing to do both. lol

milco
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Very cool finds Joe! Congrats on getting permission, sometimes those public places can be tough due to concerns and perceptions over liability.

dave in iowa
10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Great hunt Joe , you got the 4 you needed , thumbsup01 I thought those sites would be good , wasnt sure about them being detected before , ha ,, maybe it was Ron....... :yes:

zrickkid
10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Nice going. Hope you find more there.

pulltabsteve
10-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Very nice finds Joe thumbsup01 The range fob is cool :perfect10:

aloldstuff
10-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Excellent hunting skills there Joe, a dime trifecta, dated buffs, and some nice wheats. Congrats and you should assume that the 1916 is a D, what the heck.

randy
10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Nice trifecta :happydance01: Gotta love the trashy sections.

bob_e99
10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
It's must be great to get permission to hunt sites like that. Nice finds and great work with the detector to pull those beautiful coins out of a trashy soil.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Mudder
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Wonderful hunting Joe, a dime trifecta, and I was amazed to see that your buffs had good dates. I dug five last week and only one had a date that you could read. Congrats on the tokens also. Great job! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

skribnod
10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Congrats on the great finds, that would have been a great day in my book. Keep pounding the hard spots and I know you will keep getting them. I sure wish I could squeak out th silvers like you. |:confused:)

jkress
10-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Very cool finds Joe! Congrats on getting permission, sometimes those public places can be tough due to concerns and perceptions over liability.

Thanks D. Yeah, I was surprised at the open invitation for the same reasons as you pointed out. Worked out for the best.

you got the 4 you needed , thumbsup01 I thought those sites would be good , wasnt sure about them being detected before , ha ,, maybe it was Ron....... :yes:

Yep... got the four I was wanting. Now the rest are just icing on the cake.

Nice going. Hope you find more there.

Very nice finds Joe thumbsup01 The range fob is cool :perfect10:

Thank you Z and Steve. :)

Congrats and you should assume that the 1916 is a D, what the heck.

Thanks. Yep... that's the way I look at it. lol

Gotta love the trashy sections.

:yes: thumbsup01 There are always a few waiting there.

It's must be great to get permission to hunt sites like that.

It is fun to get this kind of opportunity. I've been spending a lot of this summer strictly in the parks, so getting back into some yards is something I've been looking forward to.

Wonderful hunting Joe, a dime trifecta, and I was amazed to see that your buffs had good dates. I dug five last week and only one had a date that you could read. Congrats on the tokens also. Great job! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you Mudder. I appreciate it. Believe me, I get plenty of the 'no dates' too. lol

Congrats on the great finds, that would have been a great day in my book.

Thanks JR. thumbsup01 I've been getting the itch to get back over to the park in your town. Maybe we could hunt together again.

Tony Two-Cent
10-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I just love seeing photos of your finds, Joe, especially when they are amazing finds like those! Such a great variety of old coins, beautifully photgraphed! I love those wonderful old worn dimes. Congrats on the trifecta, it's actually quite an accomplishment! Those are terrific buffaloes and tokens too!

Spectacular hunt! I hope you find more! :clapping:

Rgorman
10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
This guy is the best! I'm always impressed with Joes finds. Out agian yesterday and just call me clad!

jkress
10-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Tony. I agree, the worn silver has so much character. :yes:

This guy is the best! I'm always impressed with Joes finds. Out agian yesterday and just call me clad!

You made it on here Ron. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Good to see you posting. Call me clad? The beautiful Two Cent piece you found the other day
wasn't clad. lol <:

Civil War Nut
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice finds J.

MinelabIowa
10-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice huntin there Joe. You are having a incredible year!

Cheap Thrills
10-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Smokin' finds !!! :perfect10: :cool:

Fire Fighter 43
10-23-2011, 09:28 AM
A job well done, that is Avery cool looking token.