PDA

View Full Version : Railroad padlock

CODY
10-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi
Found an old padlock today. Was told it was a railroad padlock. Thought it was intersting.

Ill Digger
10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
:huh: :drool: Oooooh :thinkingabout: :drool: Thats cooool! :cool:
It does have a heavy duty or industrial look to it. :yes:
Does it say something on the shackle/shank? :thinkingabout: :->
I was just curious why it's thought to be from a railroad :dontknow: lol
It is interesting! :yes: thumbsup01 I wanna learn more! :drool: :drool: lol
Neat find for sure!
Congrats :grin:

del
10-18-2011, 02:57 AM
its a great old looking lock thats for sure Cody but most if not all Railroad locks are labeled as such with either the actuall R.R. name or the R.R. route . yours does look pre 1900 and is in very nice shape too. :clapping: :clapping:

Dan

CODY
10-18-2011, 06:15 AM
More info on the lock. It is brass. On the back of the shank it reads J.H.W. Climax Co. Newark N.J. USA. On the front of the shank it reads M.P. Co. I will have to see if I can find out what the M.P. Co. stands for. Right now the only thing I can think of in this area is Mississippi Power. None of our RR's past or present have those initials.

del
10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
More info on the lock. It is brass. On the back of the shank it reads J.H.W. Climax Co. Newark N.J. USA. On the front of the shank it reads M.P. Co. I will have to see if I can find out what the M.P. Co. stands for. Right now the only thing I can think of in this area is Mississippi Power. None of our RR's past or present have those initials.

Cody , the M.P.co could stand for the Missouri Pacific Co. which is or was a Railroad line

heres a link to some R.R. locks and theres one labeled with M.P.Co. it is L062 its the same kind of lock but the MPCO are stamped on the face instead of the latch
http://stephansrailroadhistory.com/LokcsnaKeys.aspx

CODY
10-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey del, I think you may be right. The M P Co letters look the same. Could be.