PDA

View Full Version : Buckles

bob_e99
10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
I can't sit still when the weather is nice and I didn't have a lot of time so I went out to the nearby woods for a 90 minute hunt yesterday evening. These are the same woods where I found the large cent earlier this year. Now that fall is here, the underbrush is dying back so it's a bit easier to hunt. I didn't find much but was surprised by the number of buckles that I pulled up. They sure sounded nice on the e-trac and I was hoping for more large copper but it was not to be. I also pulled out two wheat pennies (1936 and 1944) which, while not great, made me happy because they were weak signals (deep) in a noisy soil so I think my technique is improving some.
Thanks for looking.

Mudder
10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
:peace: Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Interesting buckles and a couple of wheats in a hour and a half will always beat a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. :tongue: :clapping: :clapping:

del
10-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Bob i hate those &quot:grin:-buckles as they are so close to sounding like large coppers that they'll fool you most of the time :hairpulling: lol lol they are some kind of harness buckles for a horse or oxen , you must be close to an older site somewhere . congrats on the wheats. thumbsup01

Jeff (or)
10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Cool buckles, if you found a large cent, there is sure to be a few more goodies!!! :cool:

Tony Two-Cent
10-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Buckle down and keep digging those signals! It'll pay off eventually! If you found a large cent therre I would keep digging everything that sounds remotely good!

bob_e99
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment.

:peace: Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Interesting buckles and a couple of wheats in a hour and a half will always beat a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. :tongue: :clapping: :clapping:

Detecting in the woods nearly got me one of those poke in the eye :yes:

Bob i hate those &quot:grin:-buckles as they are so close to sounding like large coppers that they'll fool you most of the time :hairpulling: lol lol they are some king of harness buckles for a horse or oxen , you must be close to an older site somewhere . congrats on the wheats. thumbsup01

You are 100% correct regarding the site. Also, thank you for identifying the buckles. They now are a bit more interesting than my guess of belt buckles which I couldn't figure out why there would be so many in the ground.
|:confused:) You are for sure a vault of information.

Cool buckles, if you found a large cent, there is sure to be a few more goodies!!! :cool:

Buckle down and keep digging those signals! It'll pay off eventually! If you found a large cent therre I would keep digging everything that sounds remotely good!

Yes, I'm also hoping that there's more to be found. Interestingly, the wheats were as deep as the large cent which puzzles me. But as I mentioned, I'm beginning to get a firmer knowledge on weak signals and how slow you have to go to pick them up. Since there is a lot of iron in the ground, does anyone have any thoughts as to whether going to two tones would be beneficial?

Thank you.

aloldstuff
10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Bob, I can relate the feeling of having to get out, even in the rain. That spot will be producing some goodies soon. Those buckles are harness related so to me that means old. Keep digging and congrats on our finds so far.

Fire Fighter 43
10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Congrats on some nice relics.