PDA

View Full Version : Time

hockeyguy
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Often times I take the day off from work to go detecting. Although not recently, my mind beomes plauged with the thought of how much money it costs me to do this. I mean, I play hockey 3x/week, poker too frequently and go detecting any chance I get; all of this adds up to a lot of time away from my business.

It would be nice to think of how lucky I am to manage all of these activities while supporting and caring for a family, but that is what keeps me going. The guilt is something I can't get around no matter what activity I am persuing....this is one of those personal phenemenons that will mostly likely never change.

My guees is that it costs many,many , many thousands of dollars to continue the way I do. However, when I subtract out the mental replenishment recieved, it equates everything. Whether I am skating OR detecting, I think of nothing else....nearly a meditative state and you know what they say about the benefits of meditation?

On it's own, mediation is very difficult to achieve. If you were to describe meditiation as the absence of thought, it would seem to counter American human nature. Certainly in the USA, we are bombarded with so many images, noises, smells etc. that it would seem impossible to free ourselves, if ever so temporarily, of any thoughts.

When I am detecting or skating, I think only of that activity and briefly seperate myself from the world. This is my alternate to actual meditation.

Thanks for listening and I leave you with this quote. If you have never read any of his books and are inspired to do so, I highly recommend The Art of Happiness which I read many years ago...an amazing look into the human psyche and behavior; not from the perspective of science, from a philosophical, realist and completely logical perspective.

HH Aaron

tanacat
10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for listening and I leave you with this quote. If you have never read any of his books and are inspired to do so, I highly recommend The Art of Happiness which

Thanks Aaron! I will remember to read this. I read a lot of books. One of my alltime favorites is Be Here Now by Ram Dass. I have my mom's original 70's copy, purple with brown pages. She's an old hippie who practiced meditation and dharma study for years. :groovy: