PDA

View Full Version : An Great Close Knit Detecting Site

Sal66
10-21-2011, 05:26 AM
I have some time today, so I decided to show my appreciation for this MD site. I was introduced to this site a few years ago by del. I use to go on the Western/ Eastern Forum but I felt lost in a over crowed forum. This site is a site where most of the people know each other by name and even Detect together at times. You can always rely on answered questions and alot of friendly comments on finds of the day and month. On the other site I would post something and in just one day it would be lost among the other large amount of posts. The bigger finds get the attention and the smaller ones get very little replies. Here every find is commented on and there isn't a lack of experience or effort to research someones What is it finds.
When I was healthy, I came here to proudly show my finds and always received great comments. When I was gone from the site and returned, I was welcomed back with encouraging comments.
Although I do more looking than posting, it's enjoyable to see all the great finds here. I like the What Is It section to figure out puzzling finds. It's helped me to identify some of my prior finds and it gives me a chance to make a guess at what others are stumped on. Everyone has been very helpful and friendly. My goal is to get back from sitting on the sidelines to doing more detecting so I can get excited again about a hobby that I have come to enjoy more than any that I have been into in the past. I have learned so much from a historical standpoint and have a world of experiences under my belt. I have Dan to thank for that and hope to do more detecting in the near future so I can post my finds again and receive alot of comments on and ideas from a detecting site with alot of great members that care.

Epi-hunter
10-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Thank you for posting that. :yes: I agree with you... there are some fantastic and knowledgeable people on this site. And friendly as well. I think it's great that so many people here are friends and detect together. A forum is nothing more than the people who are active there... and we have the best. |:cheering:

I learn so much in particular from the relic finds. I am clueless about most of what is posted in the What is it? section (thankfully we have Dan, as well as some others who really know their relics here |:confused:) ) but I always learn something from the vast knowledge that is shared.

I wish you good health and am glad you will be getting out to detect more :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Great post, Sal! :clapping:

You have touched on many of the reasons that I decided to make American Detectorist my home as well.

I love this place! :smitten:

angellionel
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Thank you, Sal! We very much appreciate your participation and that of all of our members.

Fire Fighter 43
10-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree with you, this is a great site that Tim aka Illdigger introduced me to. It has a hometown feel to it. Thank you to everyone who works behind the scenes to keep it up and running.
HH
Jeff

randy
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Nice note thumbsup01 Hopefully you'll be posting some more finds soon. Agree Dan is awesome -- I'm pretty clueless about the relics, and he seems to have a knowledgable answer for all of them.

Sal66
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. In the past 5 (WOW) years since Lyme Disease nearly took my life, I have had to find ways to keep motivating me to live and move forward, and my interest in MD'ing has been a piece of my life that helped me to do that . Although the Bacteria supposedly has been eradicated from my body, I've been left with irreversible Muscle, joint and nerve damage due to ignorance in the medical field. It took a whole year for someone to believe and test me with Lyme specific tests that gave me a positive for Lymes. Well, a year was too late. The damage has been done. If someone had listened to me and prescribed maybe a couple scripts of Ceftin, I might be better today.
So, I'm asking everyone here to reach out to me if you think you might be infected, and you don't have to have a rash to get Lymes. I willpoint you in the right path to recovery.
I've decided that this thing is not going to prevent me from digging a bunch of old coins and relics from the ground. When I'm out detecting , all I feel is excitement and the joy when I find a keeper.
There's an old farmer's saying that my aunt told me. She said It's been a long row to hoe for me. I plan to detect that row and continue to dig up as many coins and relics I can for the excitment, fun and historical knowledge that Metal Detecting provides me with. I love this hobby and the pain that I endure on a daily basis isn't gonna stop me, even if it's a couple hours at a time in the field.
One last thing I want to ask everyone to do, Besides find treasure ( lol ), is to watch a Documentary called Under Our Skin . It's a documentary about people like me and a ton of facts pertaining to Lymes. It is currently on Netflix streaming and other sites. If one person watches it only, I will be happy that I have possibly saved someone's life with the knowledge that it provides. Thanks again for the kind words and I hope to post my next find, even if it's not much to speak of.

396nova
10-24-2011, 07:39 PM
This is a great site. I was introduces to this forum by Angel, through his informative article in the November 2011 W&E Treasure. |:cheering: I learned alot from that article, and since I signed up to this forum I have learned even more. I have learned about detecting, and of all the friendly and helpful people all over this great country. <:

dave in iowa
10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I must agree . very nice site , ive been on a few. im on 2 now but this is the one i come to every day . Jkress told me about this one and here i am

milco
10-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Couldn't agree more, I followed a bunch of people here from another forum. I am still on both, but I enjoy the knowledge and comments on this more than any other!

POKIE73
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
dennis here aka pokie that is what i was thinking hope it gets better not many replies on posts yet thank you for the ones that have dennis

CODY
12-16-2011, 05:11 AM
This is a great site. :clapping: Since I have joined I have grown to really like it. Just about as much as MDing itself. |:cheering: It gives you the feeling that your post does count. Lets face it, everyone likes a little attention, it makes us feel good. :cheering: Generally the first thing I do when I sit in front of the computer is to go to this site to see whats been posted. Sal66 hope you really get back into it. An hour or two a day is great therapy.