PDA

View Full Version : 2-Year American Detectorist Anniversary Contest

Epi-hunter
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Two years ago today the American Detectorist forum was born. :)

Thank you to everyone who has made this place a success.

This is a contest to celebrate the anniversary. :happydance01:

To enter, all you have to do is post your most memorable hunt, or experience, etc. since joining AD. Prizes will be raffled off to everyone who qualifies and enters. Everyone who enters and qualifies will have an equal chance of winning.

Prizes:

1st place: Choice of: Sun-Ray X-1 or DX-1 (or other compatible) in-line probe, or $150 in cash

2nd place: Choice of: Garrett Pro Pointer, or $100 cash

There will also be numerous other prizes, including silver coins and some American Detectorist T-shirts or similar. This will depend on the number of entries and will be detailed later.

I started a new thread for entries, which is stickied to the top of this forum and is located here (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=7529.0). Please don't post entries on this thread, but you can post questions/comments on this thread. Post entries on the thread referenced above..

This contest is not about the best find(s). What you choose to post could be your best hunt in terms of finds, or it could be significant for any other reason. Or, it could just be something important you learned or an Ah-Ha moment that you had when detecting, or someone or something that positively influenced you in that way. It does not have to be a finds-based post, but it can be.

The only rules are:

1) Do not copy-and-paste another post from this site or another site. Just re-write it enough to be original, if that is the case.

2) Please make it a decent quality post (those not deemed so will be disqualified). It doesn't have to be long.

3) New members are welcome to enter, but they must be deemed to be active members of this site at the time of the prize awards.

4) If there are not at least 20 entries, then the contest will be cancelled.

My hope is that this will form a great thread of member experiences since AD was founded by angellionel on October 22, 2009.

Names will be drawn for prizes approximately one month from now. I will announce the exact date shortly, but it will be the week before Thanksgiving.

AD staff is eligible as well. :)

Have fun!

Angie

del
10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Angie i hope pictures are welcomed in the entry posts :huh:

Epi-hunter
10-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Angie i hope pictures are welcomed in the entry posts :huh:

Thanks Dan... 8/ Pictures are encouraged and more than welcomed!

jkress
10-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Happy Anniversary American Detectorist. <:
I want to thank every member here for their posts. You all have given me
inspiration and determination to stay focused to find a few of the things you all have found.

There are very nice prizes being offered here. :drool:
This is a great and fun way to add an important tool to your arsenal.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your most memorable hunts and experiences since joining American Detectorist. :->

tanacat
10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
This is a fantastic contest Angie :clapping: Excellent prizes too :wow:

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's entries and already brainstorming one of my own to share.

Diggler
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the contest and the wonderful prizes! I'm in! |:cheering:

Epi-hunter
10-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the entries so far! Six entries as of now... will need at least 20 entries for the contest to continue. After 20 entries I will add some other prizes as well.

Don't be shy... it doesn't have to be long or complicated; just post a hunt that is meaninful to you, and tell/show us why. Photos are great as well!

Contest will end on Wednesday, November 30, at 10pm eastern time. That will give everyone the holiday weekend too. :)

pulltabsteve
10-27-2011, 09:12 AM
10PM:huh: I'll be sleeping by then... :cheesysmile:

Diggler
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Such great prizes I figured this contest would fill up quickly... :dontknow:
I can only guess that most people are mistaken that this is a &quot:beerbuddy:est Find contest.
The winners are going to be chosen randomly. If you dug something interesting this year, post the story in the contest thread. What do you have to lose?

Again, thanks to AD for offering the great prizes! I hope everyone enters soon. The odds are looking good... :cool:

Epi-hunter
11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks Diggler for making that point. |:cheering:

This is NOT a 'best finds' contest or even a 'best story' contest. The entry can be long or short. It isn't going to be judged. All you have to do to enter is to write a post about a memorable hunt. It can be memorable because of great finds, or for some other reason. You can include photos, or not (if it's finds-based, then photos would be great!)

The prizes will be awarded via a drawing. Everyone who enters will have an equal chance of winning.

randy
11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
If you've dug a pull tab since joining AD, write it up! You've got the same chance of winning some great prizes as someone who writes up a flowing hair cartwheel (which I'm about to, tomorrow's hunt willing lol).

Epi-hunter
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes! This contest is meant to give back to the members who have made this place what it is today. That was the goal. Write up finding a paperclip if you want!

The idea for the 'most memorable post' was really because I thought it would make an excellent thread of everyone's most memorable hunts so far, all in one place.

We need to get to 20 or the contest will be cancelled. Come on guys... the prizes are pretty good, and I'm going to add more (silver coins).

If I were to post a most memorable hunt, it would be my very first hunt with a metal detector (ACE 250) in a remote, completely uninhabited area of private ground (no old homesteads, nothing). Completely stupid place for a first hunt with a detector, but I didn't know any better. But after several hours of zero, nada, nothing except old railroad ties, I dug a 'half dollar' signal at 6 inches and got my first-ever coin with a detector -- an 1843 Seated Half dollar lol

What dumb luck. I found one of those before I found a zlincoln or any clad coin. Talk about being spoiled for future hunts! 8/ I will probably never find one again lol

tanacat
11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
But after several hours of zero, nada, nothing except old railroad ties, I dug a 'half dollar' signal at 6 inches and got my first-ever coin with a detector -- an 1843 Seated Half dollar lol

What dumb luck. I found one of those before I found a zlincoln or any clad coin. Talk about being spoiled for future hunts! 8/ I will probably never find one again lol

:omg: lol What a great story! I knew that seated half was your first coin but didn't know the whole story :clapping: You never know where the good stuff might be - laying there waiting to see the light of day...

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-04-2011, 08:03 PM
AWESOME! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! |:cheering:

randy
11-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Looks like we need only 2 more posts in this thread

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=7529.0

So far all the stories have been awesome :perfect10: I'm sure everyone else has at least one cool story to share in this contest :beerbuddy:

Epi-hunter
11-10-2011, 08:27 AM
If we get up to 20 in the next day or two I will be adding some other very nice prizes thumbsup01

I have loved all the stories so far. Great thread!!! Thanks all :perfect10:

Jason in Enid
11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Thank YOU for the contest! :cheering:

RobW
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Al better write a good one...not too good, he just needs to come in second to get that pro-pointer...he needs all the pointing help he can get! rofl

aloldstuff
11-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Al better write a good one...not too good, he just needs to come in second to get that pro-pointer...he needs all the pointing help he can get! rofl

Hey picture boy, play nice :beatdown:

RaZR
11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
HAPPY 2nd

Epi-hunter
11-20-2011, 10:30 PM
As I had said, I will now start adding a few additional prizes as part of the raffle now that we are over the 20 hump. thumbsup01

First is a 1884 Morgan silver dollar:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/1884dollar.jpg

Next is a 1899-o Morgan silver dollar:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/1899dollar.jpg

Next is a 1945-d Walking Liberty Half dollar:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/1945walker.jpg

Next is a 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/1942walker.jpg

jkress
11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow... more great prizes. :smitten:
Thank you Angie. :)

tanacat
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
We sure have some great stories here! I've thoroughly enjoyed them all :clapping:

Epi-hunter
11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
This contest was originally scheduled to end tonight at 10PM.

I'm going to extend it until this Saturday evening, December 3rd, at 10pm. At that time I will draw for prize winners.

I will also add a few more prizes here in the next day or so.

Beefcake
12-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I received my coin in the mail Angie!! Thank you so much for the contest and the great coin!!! thumbsup01

aloldstuff
12-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Thank you so much for the card and especially what was enclosed with it. Happy holidays

Bell-Two
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
T-Shirt arrived thanks so much American Detectorist Crew I will wear it proudly!

Dig em all
02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I recieved my shirt today Thank you AD for the fun! |:cheering:

plehbah
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
That was a very generous contest. I was getting excited until I checked my calender.