PDA

View Full Version : AD Anniversary Contest Posts Go Here

Epi-hunter
10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Please use this thread to post AD contest entries.

pulltabsteve
10-23-2011, 05:43 AM
:peace: Well, it looks like nobody wants to go first, so it may as well be me ;)

I'll be the first to admit I don't find too many keepers on a regular basis but a few months ago I did make a find of a lifetime for me. I was detecting an old school for the first time. I was getting tons of clad and just enjoying the nice weather doing what I love to do. After about an hour I got a nice deep iffy signal that I decided to dig. The item I dug out at first looked like foil or tin. When I picked it up I knew it was something better. I saw the cross on the 1 side. It looked like some Reales I found in the past but this was square. When I got home I googled Spanish cobs and realized that was what I was holding in my hand. :yes: A 1714 Cob!
I ended up donating it to the towns historical society so that it could be put on display and people could admire it for years to come.
I do believe in karma. Good things happen to good people. By me donating it, others could enjoy local history. That in itself makes this the most memorable hunt for me.
Happy 2nd Anniversary AD |:cheering:

Jason in Enid
10-23-2011, 07:58 AM
The story of my best hunt, is really a series of three hunts and a return... This year has been a record setting year in many ways. Where I live (Oklahoma) set a new record for the hottest summer ever. Combine that record heat with a massive drought and you get yards, parks, and other turf-hunting zones that are baked like cement. You also get lakeshores that are 6 feet below the normal level. When I can't hunt the turf, I go looking in the surf. OK, so a lake isn't surf, but you do what you can!
I have a lake that is about an hour away from me that I have hunted many, many times. I started out making several silver jewelry finds a trip, then one a trip, then one every few trips. Dry sand, in the water, I had hunted it all. Since the lake was at such a low level I went to hit it again. Not really expecting to find a lot, I was stunned to find both silver AND my first gold ever from this beach. I had to go back on my next day off to see if I could find more, and I did! I found more silver and even more gold on this hunt. One of the rings was a men's size 13 (big enough to fit ME, lol) gold class ring weighing in at 18 grams. That's the biggest chunk of gold I had ever found. I also found a second gold ring that hunt, for a total of 20 grams of gold rings! Well, you can bet I made another trip out to cover even more of the dried out swimming beach, and was rewarded with yet more silver, and another gold ring. This ring was sitting partially exposed on the surface, and was sand-etched on the exposed rim. A lot of people had walked right past this and never looked down.
I was shocked, I was amazed, I was beside myself! I don't know how long I sat at home and fondled all those rings, especially the giant one feeling it's weight in my hand. I could never feel completely right when I held it though. It was a class ring, for a graduating class the next year. Some highschool kid had lost his ring, and I knew how that felt. It was from a school about an hour away, so I looked up the information and called the main number. It was still summer but I was hoping someone would be there. Someone DID answer! I explained what I had and what I was trying to do. As is typical in small towns, the receptionist knew the boy and said he had just walked out of the office earlier. I gave her my number and asked if she could relay it to him or his family. I didn't have to wait long, about an hour later his mother called. She had her son describe it, (not that there would be two with the same name and HS in that town). I asked for an address, and mailed it out to them.
I recieved several more calls, from the boy, his mother, and his father. They told me the story of how it was lost, and how they had looked for it for days afterwards. They all thanked me over and over again, and asked me what I wanted for returning it. I told them I was just happy to return it, and I was.

Tony Two-Cent
10-24-2011, 08:26 PM
[size=1:crazy:t]May 21, 2011

[size=1:crazy:t]Four Barber Day

At this time I had only been back in the hobby for about a month after a 12 year absence. This was only my sixth overall hunt with my brand new E-Trac. After this day I knew that I had chosen the perfect machine for the type of detecting that I do, hunting for deep coins at old schools and parks.

I returned to an old park in a small town here in Illinois where I had previously found an Indian Head and some silvers. I had found my first E-Trac Mercury Dime and silver Washington quarter at this park. On this day I decided to venture over to the village hall that is directly across the street from the park. I found the Barber quarter almost immediately between the sidewalk and the street right in front of the village hall building. It was my first E-Trac Barber coin and only my second Barber quarter ever! I could not believe that the first Barber coin that I found with my E-Trac was a quarter! To say I was excited is an understatement! But then only five minutes later and just a few feet away I found a Barber Dime, also between the sidewalk and the street. By the time I had hunted just the area in front of the village hall I had found two more Barber dimes for a total of three, a silver Rosie, a small silver ring, and several wheat cents!

Oddly enough I returned to the village hall several more times but never found another silver coin, just some additional wheat cents. However, I will never forget that Four Barber Day! It was my most memorable hunt since I joined American Detectorist!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Pile-3.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Barbers-Obv.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Barbers-Rev.jpg

Some great stories of memorable hunts so far, I hope that we hear from many more of you! It doesn't have to be a mind-blowing find, just a hunt or experience that is memorable to you for any reason.

Don't be shy! thumbsup01

Diggler
10-25-2011, 07:38 AM
This had to be my most memorable summer of detecting ever. My hunting buddy and I literally cleaned up a dry lake for months, but we did make some good finds along the way. One day he says Check out this rock. We quickly agreed that is was some sort of artifact and started scouring the area for more. My wife was going nuts, picking up what turned out to be pre-Native American tools, that could be up to 14,000 years old. I found a few rocks as well but kept swinging my detector out to my side multi-tasking. Then I got a beep that I almost passed up. 1000 to 1 it would be another fishing weight to add to the mountain of lead melt I have accumulated. Decided to give it a quick scoop anyway just in case. About an inch or so deep flops over a dirt clod with a giant gold circle in it! Turned out to be the largest ring size I have ever found, size 13.25, and 10.2 grams of 14K to boot!

randy
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
My most memorable hunt has to be when I found my avatar coin, a VF/XF 1800 half dime. I hadn't been detecting all that long, and the only thing I ever wanted to find was bust silver.

At the time, I had about 35 career silvers, including Spanish silver, but had no clue about how hard it was to find bust silver. That's what makes this story so fun, 'cause it wasn't at an 1800's farmhouse, ancient park, or door knocking, but at a park that was built in the 1980s.

I didn't have much time to detect that day, but I had to get out, and my goal was just to pound some clad and jewelery. I went to one of the closest parks to my house, a small park with nothing more than a baseball diamond and a soccer field. The only thing it had going for it was that it was built on top of a revolutionary war site, but with all the regrading and thousands of detectorists that must have been in there before, I didn't hold out much hope of a war relic (but the prospect is always a bonus).

So, not too long into the hunt, I hit a zincoln signal at 4 inches. I rarely dig them, but given the prospect of relics, I dug this one, and could not believe a bust half dime popped out. It was so thin and tiny (and I even nailed it with my digger, fortunately it had existing damage, so my ineptitude with the digger didn't cost money, only pride). In all honesty, I wasn't entirely sure what I had (I'm not a walking Redbook), so I continued to detect, but I could not focus, and after 15 minutes, I decided I had to get home and process the find. I knew it was something special, but I think I was still in disbelief.

So thats it. It cleaned up very nice, and I learned alot. Be careful when digging, even if a zincoln signal. And, good finds can happen anywhere. Of course, I haven't found bust silver since, and, I suppose, probably never will. I think the best part, tho, is that that find got me hooked on detecting forever.

(And, I always wonder how the coin got there. Its post revolutionary, so being a revolutionary site has no bearing. I imagine it may be from the fill dirt they must have brought in to build the park, or perhaps it got kicked up when they regraded (post revolution, it was just a farm field). Sometimes detecting is 10 parts luck, and zero parts skill. At least it was that day).

fsa46
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
At my age (65) this may be a tough hunt for me to top....but one can never tell.

I was invited to a hunt with Dan, aka:del and George, aka:coinnut on Saturday, October, 22. 2011. We met at 6:30 am and I followed them to the spot. After limited success at the first spot they decided to make a move to another spot.

As we made the walk to the hole , about half way there, George broke off and headed down a wall and said he would meet us at the hole, hunting his way there. George and I continued and when we got there it was a beautiful spot, a lot of open area, walls, woods and lots of area where fields once were.

George went his way and I started in the rear of the hole and headed to a couple walls I seen in a short distence picking up a button on the way.

I could see a very large flat rock, built into the wall, different from all the rest and headed toward it. As I crossed the wall I noticed that there was another smaller rock in front of the face of the large flat rock. There was a 4-5 opening between both rocks so I ran my 5.3 coil over the opening and get a 72-76 blast but thought it might be trash because it was so loud.

My shovel was just narrow enough to barely fit into the opening and I start to remove about 4 of dirt when out comes the coin about the size of a silver dollar. I have no idea what it is because it is in very poor condition. I continue to remove four more coins before my shovel will no longer fit into the opening, but everytime I run my coil over the opening I keep getting hits.

Not being as strong as in my younger days I start to remove enough dirt to roll the stone out of the way. With my MXT Pro still singing that sweet tune, there is nothing in my way any longer and I remove six more coins for a total of 11.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/006-3.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/007-2.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/fsa46/004-6.jpg

As I make my way up the wall with my heart racing I see Dan coming into view and give him a yell. He heads over and I reach into my bag and pull one a handfull of coins. I wish you could have seen the look on his face. I placed all the coins on the wall so he could see them. It didn't take Dan long to say, I think you found a cache of 8 reale counterfeit coins here .

I was absolutely thrilled and so were they. I have only been doing this since March of this year but have already have some very nice finds but I do not think I will live long enough to top this day.

When I got home and cleaned them up I could see the 1807 date...a cache of 11@ 1807 8 reale counterfeit coins. They may not have any monetary value but historically they are priceless....if only to me and the two gentlemen that were with me when they were found.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone.... great stories!

OxShoeDrew
10-27-2011, 06:20 AM
My wife and I have been school teachers for many years in our home town. My wife's building had a secretary that was so beloved that the town named a day in her honor. We threw a town wide celebration with involvement from students, current and past employees, friends, etc. She was given gifts, they had speakers, it was like This is Your Life. :-> This happened around 1985. She retired after that, maybe 10/15 years ago. She grew up and lives on my road. Much of our properties are on the national register.....so after cleaning up my property I asked to detect her 30 acres. In my many trips there I'd show her my finds and ask her if she wanted them, to which she'd answer I'm trying to get rid if things. She didnt even want a British WW2 pin that her father bought when he lived in Canada during the war. <;)
At first I have to admit that I was happy i could keep the items but started wishing I could find something she'd appreciate to the point of wanting. Many times I'd sit at her kitchen table chatting about the past. One time she brought out a scrap book that was given to her on her honorary day. She wanted to show me a student that had recently had issues but I knew she wanted to also show me and relive her special day.
About a week later I finally got to the small lawn surrounding her house (I spent a month working her woodlands) and got a high signal to the left of her front steps. It was her official pin she received on her honorary day, which she must have dropped that day back in 1985 while bringing all her gifts in. She was sooo happy....!
A few weeks later, when school started I was showing all my treasures to the students, a little girl chimes in that I had forgotten to mention the service pin I found for the lady. I asked her how she knew about it and she said the lady was telling everybody about it at church.
Oh...and as I'm typing this I just remembered that I found a Connecticut copper a few minutes after the pin. Which at the time seemed like a gift for me for finding the pin...but now I realize I'll forget the copper long before the pin. :daydream:

aloldstuff
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Being a metal detectorist, to me, was always about the thrill of the hunt. What lies underneath the dirt, can my detector pick up the signal? Could it be a rare coin or perhaps a nice relic? Granted I have made some nice finds this year and in years past, made WE&T Best Finds 2008, numerous silver coins, buttons, buckles, etc. But this year I made a find that really put it all in perspective. On May 02, 2011, I made a post Gold Ring Returned. Turns out that the wedding band I had found was lost in 1992. Fortunatly I was able to track down the owner by the initials inside the ring, along with a date. After doing my research, I located the widow of the man who had lost his ring. You can read the original post, so I am not going to copy the whole thing here.

The reason that this find was so important to me was the fact that I was able to return such a keepsake to its rightful owner. She was so happy to have it, she couldn't thank me enough. The post had over 300 views,and forum members made 35 replies, all of which were of such an upbeat nature.

To this day and I am sure, for many more to come, I can look back on the day that my wife and I drove to her house to return the ring, the smile she had along with some memories that she shared with us.

Below is a picture of the two of us and I truely pray that every detectorist can have an experince like this.

Thanks for reading

DennisH
10-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Being new to AD I only have 1 hunt so far but it is one to be remembered for a long time. It is my 15 second hunt, that's right, a 15 SECOND hunt. I drove to a near by town to hunt a old park, a well hunted out park, for a planned two hour or so hunt. The plan was hunt till I was hungry and then stop at Pizza Hut to get supper go home and eat.

So I get to the park, put my gear on and double step to about where I left off on my last hunt and get a nice nickel hit in the first swings of the E-trac. As you all know those nice nickel hits are almost always just beaver tails but because I have found 1 V nickel and 6 Buffs (2 in one hole for the first time) in this park it was a no brainer I have to dig it. Before I can identify the nickel and put the plug back my battery goes dead. I had no spare battery with me because I just put the freshly charged stick in the day before and put my spare on the charger.

I was sure one of my rechargable battiers was toast!! Luckly I am just a fool because I must of mixed up the two and put the fully charged battery back on the charger. oh well, better then a toasted battery. Good news is the Nickel is a 1911 Liberty. Number two from this park I just starting hunting this fall.

ps. AD is the best fourm I have ever been involed with, can't wait to get to know th members better.

tanacat
10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
About a year ago I was driving along an old country road when I caught a glimpse of this house:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8236.jpg

I drove down that long driveway and drooled as I got a better look at the old stone house. I was nervous to knock on the door, but summoned up the courage and got a YES :happydance01: The owner of the house was a young woman and she told me that her family had lived there for many generations. The original stone part was built in 1790 and is one of only few stone buildings left in the county. She went inside and brought out an old booklet with more historical facts about the house. We sat together in the grass as I hand-copied it onto paper and she asked me questions about metal detecting. She was very intrigued as to what I might find.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8056-1.jpg

I hunted there many times throughout the fall and gave her several relics and an 1883 IH. The most special to her was her great-grandmother's compact. I found it below the old dinner bell about 8 deep. With my loupe I could read Richard Hudnut- Three Flowers. The mirror was broken and there was still some pink rouge inside. It dates back to the early 1900's. She said her great-grandma was notorious for having very pink cheeks, so it must have belonged to her! And the time period was right-on... She was elated that I gave it to her!

Richard Hudnut Three Flowers rouge compact- late 1800's/early 1900's.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_4631.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_4633.jpg

I also found a St. Louis Worlds Fair match safe that says Commemorating the Purchase of Louisiana Territory with Jefferson and Napoleon face profiles. 1804-1904

When I first dug it up and saw Napoleon and 1804 my eyes lit up! :shocked03:

The owner said that her family had traveled a lot back in the day. We imagined it traveling along in her great grandfather's pocket for the long horse and buggy ride from St. Louis to Central Kentucky. But I kept this one for my collection, she insisted.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8095.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8100.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8077.jpg

Another reason this site is extra special to me is that this is where I found my oldest coin to date, an 1820 LC :happydance01: Also found at this site 1917 merc, 1864(L variety) IH, my all-time favorite skeleton key, a thimble, several cloak buttons and an amazing amount of lantern parts. Silverware and the lantern parts that I found under a huge oak tree led me to believe that was where the family had a picnic table and ate some of their meals.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8068.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8103.jpg

This place was such an adventure, with beautiful scenery- rich in history... just have to share these of the family cemetary... No, I didn't hunt that area \:hammer: It was tempting though :cheesysmile:

This site has definately been the most memorable place I have ever hunted. The stone house, the history, the finds and especially the relationship I developed with the owner. Posting this has made me want to go back there to see what else there is to discover :yes:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8240.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8242.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8252.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_8248.jpg

Fire Fighter 43
11-02-2011, 04:02 PM
One of my favorite hunts since I've joined American detectorist was this year. I had wanted to hunt a restaurant that is on a lake close to my home for a few years now. It was once a ice cream parlor/hot dog stand that had a small beach. The previous owner would not give me permission to hunt it so I filed the info in a folder for future reference. Last fall I had a new neighbor move in and I was told that they were the new owners of the very same restaurant I mentioned above. Lesson learned don't give up on a site if you get a no because property does change hands now and then.
OK, to my hunt. I had met my neighbor a couple of times and ate at there restaurant a few times all leading up to me becoming aquatinted with them before I asked permission to hunt there property. I approached my neighbor and asked permission and it was granted. I had been hunting the site for about two hours when the owner came up to me to see what I had found. At that point I had some clad and a few wheats but not the silver I had thought I would find. We got to talking about the hobby and the things I have found over the years when he ask If I could find gold rings. I told him sure I could and then he told me about a friend that had lost his wedding band through the cracks of the restaurants dining deck. We walked over to check out the area and he showed me where he was sitting. It was a deck with about 2-3 feet of clearance and a lot of trash under it. I told him I would like to come back with a smaller coil and a little different setup.
A few days later I returned ready to take on the challenge of finding the ring. I had my x8 coil on my Etrac and shortened it as short as possible so it would be easier to move around in a small space. I also opted for no head phones and set my sensitivity to Auto zero figuring I would not need much depth. I figured the ring was close to the surface since it had only been lost less than 2 years. After about 45 minutes, a few dollars in clad and a pouch full of trash I got a solid 10-22 on the Etrac. I brushed about a 1/2 inch of dirt away and there it was a nice size mans wedding band. What a great feeling it was to see that ring laying there. I climbed out from under the deck and went in to the restaurant office to see my friend. He reached out to shake my hand and I just laid my palm open with the ring in the center. He looked at it and looked at me and said you found it!! I just remember I had a big smile on my face and was proud of what I had done. He could not thank me enough and the ring is now back on his friends hand.
Many forum members said they believed in Karma and that I would be repaid for my good dead.
About a week later I returned with my Excalibur to hunt the water. Being new to water hunting I still had not found my first gold ring. So to make the second part of this story short I found a second wedding band on that property and it was my first water gold. A beautiful 14K women's wedding band. Now I'm also a believer in Karma.

The returned ring is in the first image.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/0e8315b8.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/fd4e4853.jpg

jkress
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
One of my most memorable hunts took place at the beginning of the 2011 season at an old homestead.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-20.jpg

At this point in my metal detecting career, I was fortunate enough to have a nice pile of Mercs, Rosies, Washingtons,
late Indian Heads and some 1900's Barbers sprinkled in along the way.

This year I really wanted to break into the 1800's with silver and possibly some cool relics. Just a few days before
the yard gave up a coin that got me into the 1800's silver arena... an 1898 Barber dime. So of course I was
going to return for more hunting. :yes:

This hunt gave me two very exciting finds. My first Seated Half Dime. A fun way to get my first Seated coin.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-25.jpg

Along with the Half Dime, I found a button off a uniform from the Iowa Soldier Home. This facility was founded for soldiers of the Civil War.
The button was my first genuine Waterbury piece and even better is linked to the Civil War.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-26.jpg

It was amazing to recover two firsts in one hunt and even more exiting that I was able to get into a layer of history
earlier than Mercs and Rosies. lol
I remember clearing away the dirt on the Half Dime with water and thinking, Now this is the kind of thing they find out on the East Coast <:

RaZR
11-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Mine was a series of hunts at three different parks in three different cities.
It wasn't that i found any really great old coins or jewelry at any of the three parks, but what i did find. At the first park i found a referee's whistle. Not an uncommon thing to find at a sports field i'll agree.
But the very next day at a different park near where i live i found a small charm
shaped like a whistle.
The next day at a totally different park from the first two i found the rubber cover for the big whistle i found at the first park.
So now i'm hearing the the theme from the Twilight zone!!
Detecting is a fun hobby that pays off with valuable items that were lost (sometimes over 100 years ago). But it's also a brain teaser trying to figure out why you find what you found where you found it. It's like little Christmas presents you open by digging a hole. rofl

JTGOLD
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I started detecting in 1962 and in the 49 years of detecting I feel this year has been my best,finding the 1850's church has been the best single site I have ever hunted,every coin I found there was in the 1800's,and I have yet to find a new coin there and not one pulltab,I had found 15 old ones and the last time there I found a first,that was the 1835 bust capped dime. I also hunted a church camp
where I found two silver rings and one rosie dime + a total of $93.24 in clad.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-04-2011, 07:57 PM
2011 has to be my most memorable year as far as quantity & quality of finds.
breaking last years large copper total of 34 was an accomplishment in itself with 60 3/4 so far :cheesysmile:
Not to mention finding my 3rd 1789 George Washington inaugural button. Another goal was to dig a 1820's NY state militia Excelsior button
these 3 milestones would have satisfied me for the entire year but,it just gets better.
the highlight of 2011 for me has to be a small pocket spill of early colonial americana at a cellar hole site. 2 beautiful 1787 Connecticut coppers coins and the coveted 1793 chain cent with a rare reverse.the word AMERICA abbreviated AMERI.
The editor at Western & Eastern Treasure magazine said i'm pretty much a shoe in with the upcoming Feb issue of the 2011 best finds publication.
Metal detecting for me,is the most rewarding hobby one can have.
The companionship & camaraderie of hunting with others who share a passion for history,whether it's showing eachother finds during the hunt,asking opinions on unidentifiable items,comparing signals at a site,cleaning your finds,taking pictures,displaying them and being an active member of this forum are just a few of the things that I most enjoy about this hobby.
I have been very blessed to have had pretty good success in the 21 years of park & old home detecting & the 4 short years I have been colonial cellar hole hunting. I hope that my finds after I'm gone will be cherished by future generations to come.
In closing I wish everyone much success in detecting.be safe and may GOD bless you all!
Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-04-2011, 08:00 PM
few more pics

Dig em all
11-07-2011, 05:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discovering History Through Medal Detecting
By: Tim F. aka Dig Em All
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/IndianMortar029.jpg

It was a sunny, and crisp mid November morning, with temps predicted to rise into the upper 60's. After a country breakfast of fresh hen eggs wheat toast with melted butter, thick crispy bacon ,coffee and OJ to wash it down with. My friend and I decided to hit the local Connecticut forest for some casual metal detecting where history records read:

“The land was once the lushly forested hunting grounds of the Paugussett Indians. Fur traders, such as John Wakeman in 1642, were the first people of European descent to move into the Indians' territory. Permanent settlers began arriving in the late 1650's. The land was gradually purchased from the Paugussetts for items such as clothing or cooking utensils. Because the Europeans concept of property rights was not embodied in the Indian culture, the Indians often sold the same parcel of land several times.”
“The new settlers cleared the land for farming and took advantage of their location on the Housatonic and Naugatuck Rivers by developing the area into a trading port, which at one time rivaled New Haven harbor. The name of the settlement, originally called Paugussett was changed to &quot:grin:erby in 1675 after Derbyshire, England, the former home of many colonists.”
After several hours working the old colonial field stone walls, enjoying the outdoors and with only one 1982 dime to show for it, my friend and I decided to call it a day and head back to the vehicle, continually swinging my “Pioneer Bounty Hunter 505” I received a strong signal 6 down. Carefully I cut a circle with my hand shovel, removing the plug, I started separating all the roots, allowing me to see some rust in the dark black soil, I continued removing scoops of the earth around this rusted object, and finally was able to free this Connecticut style hand forged ax head.
http://[http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/AXHEAD013.jpg/img]
Contemplating this early colonial relic, I could not help but wonder the history of its use. Who made it? Who used it? And can only imagine the day the owner lost it. Was it the winter, fall, summer? Was the owner chopping firewood, building a log cabin, clearing the forest for his livestock or food plot?

I began researching the area further and have discovered multiple historical finds which would confirm early American settlers as well as a Native American Indians that lived this area as my research would suggest. Items discovered during my detecting include: Native American Mortars used for centuries to grind nuts and corn for food. [img]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/Detecting/Indianpestel007.jpg Historical Artifacts and Colonial Relics also found in the area include 1700’s-1800’s ”Gentlemen’s Knife, Horseshoes and a Buckle: http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/1stbuckle001.jpg
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/IMG_07892.jpg

1800’s coins such as: 1802 Draped Bust Large Cent.
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/Detecting/OneCent011_crop.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/Detecting/OneCent007_crop.jpg

And another coins that need research of their own like this 1832 80 Ries with Brazilian Governmental recall
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/1832coin011.jpg
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/AllInCamo/metal%20detecting/1832coin007.jpg

(Sample below researched on line)
http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Brazil_1832-R_80_reis

“This specimen was struck at the Rio mint in Brazil in 1830. The minting of copper eighty réis began in 1811 and continued until 1833, well after independence. The eighty réis was the same size as that of the old forty réis. This type was struck at Bahia 1824-31 and Rio 1823-31. Counterfeits are numerous, particularly of the Bahia issues, which were cruder than Rio issues.”
“By the 1830's, so many had been issued that the public began to refuse them. In 1835, the government called them in and countermarked them to half their former value to increase their acceptance. Private and counterfeit countermarks also exist, making this series confusing but fascinating to collect”.

Finding that ax head was just one day that has lead me to centuries of historical artifacts and the knowledge to recover such relics while metal detecting for everyone to enjoy.

del
11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Early U.S. Militia Hatplate or Hat Badge

I've set some goals of things i've wanted to find Since starting this hobby many years ago and one of these goals i knew was going to be a very challenging one . I have only seen one relic like this in person and maybe just couple on internet forums in years . My most memorable find in the last two years was discovered this past April and it couldn't have come at a better time because up until that time i was going through one of the worst detecting dryspells that i can remember and i had not seen a large copper coin in my pouch in about seven months .

Well the day started out with my detecting buddy suggesting we hit some cellar sites far out of town but i told him i had a good feeling about another one that was very close by. We initially hit this particular place one other time but after those meager results we both knew it was detected hard by others.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatesite2.jpg

We got there as the sun was comming up and it wasn't that much longer when i heard a deep sounding button or shotgun shell target , there about 7 or 8 inches down i pulled up a green flat disk that looked like a large copper . It was a very smooth one and i couldn't believe it sounded so low on the conductivity scale so i place it back on the ground to get another reading and sure enough it was very low like a shotgun shell . I knew then it was a crude counterfiet copper :smitten: <: my first large copper coin in months :happydance01: :happydance01: , if i had notheing else all day i still would of been happy . Well with renewed spirits i worked and area that looked real good , it was around an older outline of a building like a large shed or even a small cabin and a small gully . As i searched the edge of the gully i hear a loud overload sounding target under the coil right away i could tell it wasn't an aluminum can as they sound a certain way with a pridictable vdi number. No this was different and it read very shallow maybe an inch and a half to two and was pretty big , my first thoughts was a large piece of scrap brass as these arn't uncommon at sites . I then pinpoint again right over the target as this will shrink the target down and get a more accurate idea of the absolute center , well expecting a large piece of junk i dig a three inch plug and see what i thought . Its a large piece of curled brass and being a large item it read a little shallower than it was .

It was still a little burried so i grabed the corner of it and turned it over to see this
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplateinthehole.jpg

:shocked03: :shocked01: :shocked01: :shocked04: :omg: :omg: :omg: I was stunned for a few moments , I was almost afraid to pick it up lol lol
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatejustpickedup.jpg

<: :happydance01: <: :happydance01: happydance02 I then had to show my Buddy George who was just 30 yards away and boy did he know from my big grin :grin: that I had something special .

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/eaglehatplateat25.jpg

i thought i would post a picture of what it might have look like back in its day on one of the military hats of that time period.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/shakowithhatbadge.jpg

Keep looking for your goals there out there

Dan

whammy
11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
My best for this year has to be a series of hunts at a school about 10 miles down the road. It's a modern school, but I thought I might find some school rings and some clad there, plus it was close. I hunted around the school, and found some clad, but little else. I moved over to the football field and things got interesting. I was pulling clad out, but everything over six inches deep turned into silver. During the course of about seven weekend hunts I pulled out over 60 silver coins, 5 silver rings, and several silver religious medals. I got walking liberty halves, washingtons, mercs, rosies, several barbers, and a couple buffs. I just could not figure out why I was only getting them on the football field. My last trip there I met an old timer who explained that there used to be a horse track on that location, and where I was finding the silver was where the concession stand was located. Now, it made sense to me. Sorry for no pictures, my camera is broke.

Bell-Two
11-17-2011, 09:33 PM
I started metal detecting in July of 2009 and I was fortunate to find that my hometown had a new but active metal detecting club called the Dayton Diggers. I attended the first meeting and was pleased to find the members were all so helpful and kind to a newbie. I joined that evening and as part of my membership I got the official club patch. The patch showed the club's signature coin a 1913 Barber dime. This was chosen to memorialize the great flood of 1913 in Dayton. As I went home the thought kept racing through my mind Wouldn't it be neat to find a 1913 Barber dime! Now understand at this point in time I had not even found a wheat penny! Well as I progressed I did dig some Barber dimes, a 1911, 1912, 1916, 1901, 1902 etc. But no 1913 came under my coil. As the club grew and it came time to re-order patches a design change was made this time the 1796 Large Cent was chosen to honor the founding date of the City of Dayton. Great I thought I couldn't dig the Barber what chance do I have of digging this? Well time passed and on one Saturday morning my hunting partner Doug and I were out doing some door knocking we had some success and with about another hour of hunting time Doug suggested stopping back at a house we had hunted before. The owner graciously gave us permission and along with a flat button and a 1920 Buffalo Nickel I dug a Large Cent. It was so dirty I could not see anything on it and so I just put it in my pouch. After leaving and riding back home in Doug’s truck I pulled the Large Cent out and looked at it and told Doug “I think that this may be an older Large Cent” he said here is some water so I dabbed some on the coin and I said “Wouldn’t be cool if the Bust was facing right?” After a bit more dabbing at it I could see more clearly the outline of the bust, you should have seen the look on Doug’s face when I said “Dougie the Bust is facing right!” He said “See if you can get the date”. After a bit more dabbing I said “I think the last two digits are 06. But on closer inspection and a bit more dabbing I came to the realization that it was not a 06 I was seeing but a 96! I said “That means it has to be a 1796!” We came to a stop light so I handed it to Doug and he said “I can see the 17…it is a 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent!” We were close to a coin shop so we made a quick detour in to see the proprietor who has been very helpful to our club. I handed the coin to him and he looked at it with his loupe and said “Wow!” I laughed and said to Doug “You know you got a good one when the coin guy gets excited!” It was not until hours later and after I cleaned the coin a bit more it suddenly occurred to me…I had dug an example of the Club’s signature coin! Now …..I still have to get that 1913 Barber!

dave in iowa
11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Heres my best finds this year , Happy anniversary

1882 morgan and the spill , 2 walkers 3 dimes(2 mercs and a rosie) , 2 nickles( Buffalo and jeff) , 3 wheats and 5 keys in the same hole and the half dime . 1st one ever

CODY
11-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi guys
I've have got to tell ya'll the story behind this SLQ. I work for the Police Dept. About a month or so ago I answered a call about an attempted robbery of a lawn mower. The gentleman who had called was 73 years old. He has had the West Nile Virus and is one of the lucky few that survived it. Well after dealing with his problem we got to talking about his home. Built in the 20's. I asked permission to hunt it, which he gave. When I hunted it he followed me around on his cane and watched every hole I dug. He was so excited. The next day when I arrived he had gotten permission from all his neighbors. All houses built about the same time. He has been there every day, toting my stuff, bringing me drinks etc. It seems I have given this fine gentleman a reason to get up every morning. Anyway. Yesterday we were hunting a yard that he had got permission for. The house had been torn down and it was a vacant lot. Down here in Miss. we have a lot of clay. This yard was like concrete because we havent had any rain in a while. I got a good quarter sig on my F4. Slammed the shovel into the ground. It went maybe a inch. When I pried down the clay plug poped up. The SLQ lept out of the hole and landed about a foot from the hole. It was like the earth just threw it up. LOL Anyway the old man saw it and said,What the h__l is that. I said its got to be a new one being no deeper than it was. You can imagine how suprised I was. The old man was dancing a jig. It was so funny. Made my day.

SLQ.JPG (129.31 kB, 640x480 - viewed 41 times.)

Report to moderator 68.66.104.127

2011 Finds, Since May 2011
117 Wheats
2 Buffalo Nickels
1 War Nickel
29 Silvers
2 Barber dimes
18 Merc's
5 Rosie's
1 SLQ
3 Washingtons
1 Silver Ring
Lots of clad
Numerous tokens, dog tags and relic's.
All found with a Fisher F4

Always ask, the worse they can do is say no!

IN GOD WE TRUST

Viking
11-17-2011, 11:20 PM
No one hunt stands out the most for me since joining American Detectorist; rather, the number of hunts I've gone on since joining AD is what I feel I should mention.

As a child, my parents got me a cheap Radio Shack metal detector. I loved that thing and used it as often as I could. But as I grew up, graduated college, started a career, and got married, the hobby all but disappeared for me. I've always loved finding things though. I have no say in the matter- it is a passion. I knew I would get back into the hobby when the time was right.

A few years ago, I purchased a metal detector and started learning some hunting skills all over again. I tried a few different models and got more comfortable, but still was only moderately active in the hobby. Then I stumbled onto American Detectorist, and the addiction became stronger than ever. In two years, before joining AD, I went on about 20 total hunts, finding 2 silver coins, and $35 in clad. In 2011 alone, with the help and excitement of this forum and its member postings, I have made it out 50 times finding over $125 in clad and 8 silvers (including my first Barber Dime, shown below). I still have a lot to learn with my E-trac, but I am a sponge for any tips, videos, or comments made about this machine. I am in this hobby for old coins, and there are no shortage of them posted here. I want nothing more than to get to the level of you power E-trac users. Thanks AD for inspiring me! |:confused:)

[attachimg=1]

Full Metal Digger
11-18-2011, 07:20 AM
We all find coins that have been holed. One of my most memorable finds this year was to find two holed Barber dimes in the same hole with the string STILL attached!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0190.jpg

RobW
11-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Well....... This was an on going hunt which lead me to Americandetectorist.com....

It all started one day, when I called my previous hunting buddy, and told him they were doing work on our town green, and we decided that that afternoon we were going to go hunt it. That morning I'm driving by the green and see 2 guys out there detecting. So I stopped my car to chat. At first they were a bit stand offish, but then I explained that I was a detectorists too and not some PAIN, and I said that my buddy and I were planning to hit it later. When we came back they were gone. Like mysterious shadows... lol We came back a few more times over the next several days, not really finding much, so on my return trips my buddy didn't join me and eventually phased out of detecting. However, the other two mysterios strangers were there...One of them said I should check out this forum he has...what an Angel :angelic:....... rofl. Little did I know how much of an influence this stranger would be in my life...I was a die hard Garrett man...I now own and love my Minelab E-Trac, I have learned much from him through his posts and pms. Who was that other stanger? John (Midas) one of our forum sponsors. He and I met there on the green on many other numerous occassions that hot, hot summer, and we made some great finds.

Word got out in town about my finds, the library/museaum asked if they could document my finds. I agreed and when I brought them in for them to photograph, they had one of the newspapers there, So the story ended up in the paper. Then athe larger paper in the area picked up on the story and they did a story of my finds as well. I placed them on loan to the museum who displayed my finds for a few months.

I also submitted my story to Garrett Metal Detectors...who also had me take better pictures rofl...and they claim that they are going to include it in an upcoming book.

I have attached a pic of most of the coins found there..to the date of the pic. I had also found other after the date of the pic.

The hunts at that location I pulled out 2 Spanish 2 Reales in one hole :happydance01:...Two large cents in one hole :peace: as well as several other large cents, 4 half dimes (2 bust 2 seated),6 indians, 2 barber dimes, 1 seated dime, a civil war token; for relics, (no pics, sorry) I had lots of buttons, a pocket knife, musket balls, and my first Rossett.

Not only did I make some great finds, I met 2 great guys, and found this forum through Angel :smitten:...what a hunt!

exsquid
11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Here's my story...

It started last June we made a week long trip as our son was going to be married in PA and needed some help getting their soon to be home readied for their moving in. Each day was very, very, busy doing electrical, plumbing, and numerous other fix, change, and repair jobs that lasted to well after dark. This area is an older area and was loaded with older great looking detecting places. Each morning I would get up and go out at 5:30AM and hunt for a couple hours before everyone else was up and around and before duty called to get back to work on the house. Well, anyway had some great finds but just didn't get the time needed to really hunt like I would have liked.....Jump to October....We were able to make a quick trip back to the area to visit my son and his bride and this trip allowed some time to revisit some of the spots I previously hunted. Well one of the days I found a first for me... a multi-coin old spill that included two silver quarters, one silver dime, and two wheat pennies. They are not the oldest coins I have ever found nor the most valuable but none-the-less I had not had the pleasure of pulling multiple silvers from the same hole before and that was indeed quite the rush..... I finally kinda got to feel what some of my peers here have enjoyed numerous times... happydance02

mdakin
11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I think one of the things that keeps me going out metal detecting is finding new things, and learning about new things related to those items. Every year I usually will have one or two it items that are my favorites.

I thought I had found that one item early in the season when I found a bronze foo dog wax seal. However, a few weeks ago, I was able to share something that was not only a first for me, by literally blew me away with its historical significance related to a major event in American History, The Civil War.

Have you ever wondered how our country became so divided? How were we so willing and able to go to war against each other? Was Abraham Lincoln that charismatic? How did he gain so much support? While not taking anything away from his accomplishments, a recent find educated me on what is probably one of the largest grass roots movements in the history of our country. (Which just happend to originate in my home state of Connecticut.)

The name of that organization, The Hartford Wide Awakes, and the reason behind even knowing about this name was a campaign token from 1860 that I found while detecting a private home site that dates back to the 1700's.

The owner had recently cleared out some woods to one side of his property which allowed me access to areas I had not been in before. After digging a nice sized Tombac button out of a hole, I re-scanned the hole and got another strong signal. Out popped a large cent sized disc, but I could immeadiately see that it was no large cent. I saw what looked like a military figure holding a rifle, I couldn't wait to get back home to clean it off and do some research.

As it turns out, that was indeed someone dressed in the military style of the 1860's, but he was not carrying a rifle, but a large torch.

Apparently in March of 1860, 5 young dry goods clerks from Hartford Connecticut organized a movement to support some local political candidates from the newly formed Republican party. They based their organization in a para-military style, dressing in military caps and capes and provided ranks and military structure to its members. This fledgling organization grew and soon spread all across the northern states in support of presidential candidate Abraham Lincoln. Members would march in military processions to their local meetings carrying large torches. The organization catered to the young men of that generation and helped polarize hundreds of thousands of Americans.

According to an article I read from the Journal of American History, it was this organization and it's movement that was the missing link researchers had been looking for. This was the organization that assisted in the election of Lincoln as the next President, as well as being a major contributing factor in polarizing the citizens of our country such that they were willing to go to war against each other. Below is a link to the article, it's a very interesting read. I've also copy/pasted a passage from it.

http://www.journalofamericanhistory.org/projects/lincoln/contents/grinspan.html

The march that shook New York was one of thousands that poured through America’s cities, towns, and villages in 1860, started by a revolutionary new political organization. Stumping for the Republican candidate, Abraham Lincoln, the strange movement electrified the presidential election. Young men from Bangor to San Francisco and from huge Philadelphia clubs to tiny Iowa troupes donned uniforms, lit torches, and “fell in” to pseudo-military marching companies. They flooded every northern state and trickled into upper South cities like Baltimore, Wheeling, and St. Louis. Launched in March by “five young dry goods clerks” in Hartford, Connecticut, by November the Wide Awakes had developed into a nationwide grassroots movement with hundreds of thousands of members. Many of the movement’s supporters—and even some of its vociferous opponents—believed “there never was, in this country, a more effective campaign organization than the Wide Awakes.”

I've attached pictures of the token I found, as well as pictures I found from an eBay auction for reference. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Matt

Ill Digger
11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Here's a neat piece I found this summer. :cool:
(quarter is shown for size comparison)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0927.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0928.jpg

When I found it I had no idea what it was. :dontknow: It turns out to be a wax seal. At least thats what this auction site considers it :dontknow: lol
http://www.blackmarketantiques.com/brass-church-hammer-baking-soda-seal-p-11594.html

If it's a wax seal.... :confused:..... I had to find out what the seal would look like in wax. :thinkingabout: So I gave it a shot. thumbsup01 lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0934.jpg

Weather it's a wax seal or not I don't know. But I do know it's old. lol (Wouldn't a wax seal reveal itself forward? :confused: )
The logo looks very familiar. It turns out to be what we know as the Arm & Hammer logo. In 1846, John Dwight and his brother-in-law Dr. Austin Church began manufacturing bicarbonate of soda...
Here's a little more history if anyone is interested :interesting:
http://www.thehistoryofcorporate.com/companies-by-industry/household-office-goods/church-dwight-co-inc/

mcdoogal
11-28-2011, 01:18 AM
My Most Memorable Hunt

It was last spring on a comfortable afternoon near Houston Texas, I just finished up my weekend “honey do’s” around the house and headed out to a school sports field about 4 miles from home. The sports fields are used by two schools that are side by side separated by a small creek and about 25 yards of woods. There is a well used footbridge across the creek connecting the two schools. There are several foot worn trails through the little wooded area made by countless pairs of exploring feet of the local school kids. I have found several rings and other pieces jewelry along these trails in the past. However, this day I decided to work the sidelines area of the football practice field and near a baseball field backstop about 30 yards from the wooded area. The day was pleasantly bright and the air was fresh with light organic, “woodsy” scent on the light breeze coming through the nearby forested area. I was really enjoying the day and I remember digging quite a few quarters in a 20’ X 20’ area. The digging was easy and the dark, rich dirt made me feel connected to nature that surrounded me.

I was busy digging a quarter when I noticed that the bright daylight quickly dimmed and the wind changed direction. I looked up from my target hole and looked toward the westward sun. I saw a dark bank of clouds blocking the sun. It was a strange sight, the sky was a beautiful blue directly above me and to the east but this large dark cloud blocked the sun to the west. Within seconds I saw the dust begin to blow from the sports fields and a gravel parking lot about 200 yards to the west. I could see that the wind would reach me in just a few seconds and I was out in the open, so I stayed kneeling on one knee over my target hole and turned my back to the coming gust front. It seemed that just as I turned around the dust, leaves, and parking lot grit carried by the wind began pelt my back and swirled around me. I was thinking to myself that nature was pretty awesome and suddenly the wind REALLY picked up. The sudden force of the wind knocked me off balance and I hunched down very close to the ground. Even though I had my headphones on, it felt like my base ball cap was going to blow off, so I brought my head down, looking directly into the hole I had just dug. I noticed that the dirt I had just dug out of the hole was blowing away. My Dad was a USAF weather forecaster for over 30 years and I guess a little rubbed off on me. I realized that I was in a micro burst. Once I realized what was going on, I looked around as best I could and was very excited, enjoying the experience. I heard a large crack, not thunder. I looked toward the wooded area where the cracking, breaking, and rending sound was coming from and I saw a huge 50+ foot pine tree slowly leaning over, then quickly coming down, crashing through several other trees, shearing off their branches and slam to the ground directly across the walking path from the footbridge. The sound was unbelievably loud. I saw the tree trunk hit the ground so hard that it bounced back in the air about a foot before finally coming to rest. I felt the “thunk” of the tree transmitted through the ground to where I was crouched some 25 yards away. The tree and debris settled to the ground and the wind died down, and … I grinned like a madman. Flushed with excitement, I felt truly alive.

I don’t think this thing lasted more than 3 min from the time I noticed the sun dim till the tree was down. I felt a part of everything in those few moments. I felt more alive in those few moments than I had in years. I felt that all was right in the world and I had my small place in it. I called my wife on the cell phone and I am sure she thought I was at the bar by the way I was excitedly babbling about quarters, wind and falling trees.

So all in all, I guess you could say my most memorable hunt since joining the forum was one where my best find was not silver, gold, or historic relics; it was a profound sense of peace… and it was truly AWSOME!

silversearcher
11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting Find

I'm new to AD. Did A 3 hour hunt on Sunday :clapping: the weather is holding out.
brought my son and his friend ( the friend that collects coins and likes to CRH ).
Discovered my son really is not into the hunting :crying02: but his friend got a metal detector for his birthday <:. It is an old Treasure Tracker :dontknow:.
My son was bored and his buddy was more interseted in using my Prizm V 8/. Tested out his detector and it does not know the difference between can tab and a gold bar, so he is a little discouraged. He said I really wanted a metal detector so I could find a Walking Liberty.
We hit my neighbors yard and a local school. All we found was a few pennies a couple of can tabs and a can the lawn mower hit :-\. I let him keep everthing including a butter knife and O-clamp he pulled out of my yard the day before.
I did dig up 1 item of interest out of my neighbors yard however.Not sure what it is but that keeps things interesting. Here are a couple photos. Al is clueless as to what it might be but told me how to clean it. Which I did.
It appears to bo be a flower on the front side.

skribnodsister
11-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Happy Anniversary! Thanks for having such a wonderful forum. (I told my husband that it's in my blood-I was born to do this lol) I have had a lot of firsts for me-but the most memorable ones are the ones that I got to go out detecting with my brother. We've hunted in 100 degree weather-soaked to the bone, the ground so dry you can't get a shovel through it. 40 degree weather, raining cats and dogs-soaked to the bone, the ground so muddy it sticks to everything but the laughs we've had, the first time finding a first of something, the trying to figure out the what is it's or the I thought for sure we would find something there.Oh ya can't forget the happy dances in front of the cows (with those kinda dance moves I thought for sure he was going to start a stampede :cheering:) So to me those are my most memorable moments. Thanks Donna -Happy Hunting everyone!

Beefcake
11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
My most memorable hunt was Last October hunting a Bean field with my buddy Tim. It was a frosty one and we had been gridding off the large field by using twine and stakes. I had found an unreadable half cent when we first got there which was awesome! Tim came over to talk to me during a break. I moved my detector to the right as he was talking to me and I had to interupt him... He caught the live dig.... Here it is! http://www.youtube.com/user/Beefcake1974?feature=mhee#p/u/5/ukRQ3edo_EQ

Cheap Thrills
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Always on the search for silver coins but not really scoring many I decided one day recently I'd dig it all and my hope was to hit a gold ring . It was a pleasant day ,I had the small park to myself and my mind was right .I didn't dig but a couple of junk targets before I got a soft nickel sound , the meter was shifting between foil and nickel . I just had the most confident feeling it was going to be a gold ring and it was , a nice 14K . That was truly a lift and a confidence builder and it was the first gold ring I had found in quite some time .A truly memorable hunt .

HAPPY 2ND ANNIVERSARY TO ALL THE STAFF AND MEMBERS OF THE AMERICAN DETECTORIST !!!

THANKS FOR A GREAT FORUM AND THIS COOL CONTEST .

Epi-hunter
12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm going to draw for the winners in the next hour or so. :yes:

Thank you for your participation!

I am adding five American Detectorist T-Shirts to the prizes.

Epi-hunter
12-03-2011, 10:29 PM
My daughter drew the entries out of a hat. We took them in order of the prizes.

#1) aloldstuff (Sun-Ray or equivalent or $150 in cash)

#2) Jason in Enid (Garrett pinpointer/equivalent or $100 in cash)

#3) Viking (1884 Morgan silver dollar)

#4) Beefcake (1899-O Morgan silver dollar)

#5) Mcdoogal (1945-d Walking Liberty Half Dollar)

#6) RaZR (1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar)

#7-#12 are American Detectorist T-Shirts: whammy, digemall, pulltabsteve, fsa46, Bell2, and xsquid.

Thanks everyone who participated! Those who won T-Shirts please send me a size and a mailing address. :) Everyone else, please send me a mailing address :)

pulltabsteve
12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Congratulations to all the winners happydance02 And a big thank you to Angie for having the contest and all those cool prizes :clapping:

Beefcake
12-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Coool!!! Thanks for the contest Angie! I always knew I like your daughter! Thanks kiddo!

jkress
12-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Congratulations to all the winners. :clapping:
Thanks again for the contest Angie. :)

Ill Digger
12-04-2011, 02:05 AM
My daughter drew the entries out of a hat. We took them in order of the prizes.

#1) aloldstuff (Sun-Ray or equivalent or $150 in cash)

#2) Jason in Enid (Garrett pinpointer/equivalent or $100 in cash)

#3) Viking (1884 Morgan silver dollar)

#4) Beefcake (1899-O Morgan silver dollar)

#5) Mcdoogal (1945-d Walking Liberty Half Dollar)

#6) RaZR (1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar)

#7-#12 are American Detectorist T-Shirts: whammy, digemall, pulltabsteve, fsa46, Bell2, and xsquid.
:clapping: Congratulations everyone!! :clapping:
Very nice prizes! :envious: lol
Thanks Ang! |:confused:)

Dig em all
12-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the fun! :groovy:

del
12-04-2011, 05:57 AM
thanks to all the members who entered its your participation on the forum that really made this place a fun and special one for the last two years :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: and congrats goes out to the winners :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: i read some great stories , thanks for sharing some of your best moments with the forum |:confused:) :peace: i'd also like to thank our esteemed Administrator Angie :yes: :yes: for putting on this contest together and supplying all the prizes |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan

JTGOLD
12-04-2011, 08:34 AM
congrats to all winners. <: <:

Jason in Enid
12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Holy cow I won!! :shocked04:

Thanks for the great contest, everyone had great entries. :clapping:

Cheap Thrills
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Congrats to all the winners. All the entries were great and made for some very enjoyable reading, viewing and inspiration . :clapping: |:cheering:

RaZR
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you for the great contest and to everyone who entered. The stories gave me some hope that if i keep swinging i can find some fantastic stuff too! Congratulations to all the winners, which is everyone that hangs out at American Detectorist!

GL/HH

aloldstuff
12-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Angie, Looks like the good luck I bring to Rob came back my way. Thanks for having this contest, it was great to read all the posts. I am in shock that your daughter picked my name 1st. Please thank her for me. I'll PM you with my choice. To everybody that entered, thank you for putting your stories up so that all could read them.

Diggler
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Congrats to all the winners! That is a lot of cool stuff! Thanks for having the contest! |:cheering:

exsquid
12-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Sweet contest....

Appreciate the Tee....

Great stories and what a bunch of great finds...Excellent!!

RobW
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
That's great! Congrats to everyone...especially Al...he really needed it, and so did I...he keeps asking to borrow my pinpointer in the field! :clapping:

aloldstuff
12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
That's great! Congrats to everyone...especially Al...he really needed it, and so did I...he keeps asking to borrow my pinpointer in the field! :clapping:

Only twice

tanacat
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Only twice

lol Like my hubby and I joke You always, I never... lol

Congrats Al!!! :clapping: What a great prize! Congrats to all the winners- great prizes across the board :yes:

Thanks for a great contest Angie :) People sure like contests (and good stories to read) this thread has 671 views!

aloldstuff
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
lol Like my hubby and I joke You always, I never... lol

Congrats Al!!! :clapping: What a great prize! Congrats to all the winners- great prizes across the board :yes:

Thanks for a great contest Angie :) People sure like contests (and good stories to read) this thread has 671 views!

Thanks Tana....boy was I surprised.

Bell-Two
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for a nice contest and the T-Shirt I feel doubly blessed, a nice forum filled with wonderful people and a T-Shirt too....can't get much better! :happydance01: