PDA

View Full Version : A nice surprise

whammy
10-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi folks. Got out for a few hours to a modern school just a few miles from the house. Managed about 5.00 in clad quarters, 2 dimes, 3 nickels and a couple pennies. Didn't pay much attention as I was diggin, so everyting went in my pocket. A couple hours after I got home, I decided to clean the change. As I was cleaning the nickels, one of them looked strange so I broke out the loupe. First thing I saw was a 5 surrounded by stars. On the reverse I could make out some of the shield and the date 186-. At least it was an 1800s coin. I sure wasn't expecting something like that, and it made my day. :shocked03: I couldn't get much detail for a picture. Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
10-22-2011, 09:47 PM
A shield nickel is an incredible find! I would love to see some photos of it! Did there used to be an older school on this site? That is often the case, a newer school sitting on the same site where an older school once stood.

Congrats on the terrific find! |:confused:)

del
10-22-2011, 09:55 PM
A shield nickel is an incredible find! I would love to see some photos of it! Congrats on the terrific find! |:confused:)

wow i agree with Tony , i hope its a 1866 (first year but 66 and 67 have the rays )

Cheap Thrills
10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Great going on the Shield Nickel. I've never had the pleausure of finding one of those puppies . :perfect10: thumbsup01

randy
10-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Congrats on the shield nickel. :happydance01: They are few and far between. Maybe there are some more oldies at that site -- dig around and see what was there before the school was built.

aloldstuff
10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Wonderful recovery, those shield nickles don't pop out of the ground that often. I'm still looking for my 1st, huge congrats on that find. :perfect10: