PDA

View Full Version : Jar Of Coins, Sack Of Coins VDIs?

MartinL
10-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Understanding that a jar may have a tin lid yet a full jar of coins should VDI the coins, right? And so if it does, and the coins are of all denominations(sack of coins same situation), what would you expect to read from a mass like that? It's a little interesting to wonder what a tin can with coins would read also, but I suspect the tin would smother the real treasure VDi. martin

Dimeman
10-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Unless the coins are separate enough for the detector to detect each one individually I would bet it would be a large ground area signal than just one coin.......if it isn't too deep it might read as an overload, or a deep iron target. Depending on how the jar is set in the ground--if the tin lid is topside it might read the tin lid because it is the larger area. If the jar is buried upside down it probably would be a low reading because the detector can't process each coin unless they were spread apart in the ground.

Take a big handfull of coins and scan them with your detector at 4 inches away from the coil and then 8 inches away from the coil--------what readings does your detector show??

CyberSage
10-25-2011, 07:39 AM
While individually the coins may show a higher VDI, collectively the group of coins have poor conductivity between each other. This would confuse the filters of most detectors, and they would appear as junk. Mixed modes do a little better job at these kind of targets. Take a roll of quarters and hold it by the ends between your thumb and forefinger. Run it under your coil. You will be surprised at the resulting response.

Jack

Diggler
10-25-2011, 08:13 AM
This is one situation where using a more simple machine can sometimes help if the specific goal is to find a cache. Even a fresh pocket spill gave me trouble at first with the Etrac, signal all over the place. With a simple machine, say a Tesoro, the signal is more stable, but a cache of coins could still easily be passed by as can. Good question, but I think in general each machine needs to be tested on it's own because results will vary greatly.

fsa46
10-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Don't know about a jar of coins but the 11, 8 reale cache I found came in at 72-76 and loud. I can easily see where someone can overlook an awesome fine by not digging a big signal. If my find wasn't in the location it was and just in an open field or yard I might not have dug it. 8/

MartinL
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
It all sounds to me by these answers, that you ain't finding hordes or caches at all unless you ignore disc mode and just dig the basic big junk reports, whatever the depth, and accept the big crap you dig up until you(if ever) find treasure. Thanks, that's what I pre-conceived. martin

tanacat
10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Take a big handfull of coins and scan them with your detector at 4 inches away from the coil and then 8 inches away from the coil--------what readings does your detector show??

That's a good idea. I've wondered many times if maybe I missed a cache due to the size lol It always get the heart a thumping when I dig up an old mason jar lid esp laying flat...and then dig to find the jar and coins, to no avail :huh:

Dimeman
10-30-2011, 09:46 PM
It all sounds to me by these answers, that you ain't finding hordes or caches at all unless you ignore disc mode and just dig the basic big junk reports, whatever the depth, and accept the big crap you dig up until you(if ever) find treasure. Thanks, that's what I pre-conceived. martin

I have found quite a few older single coins very close to larger junk iron targets---after the junk is out of the way( the shallower larger item gets 'seen 1st by the detector) the deeper coin signal comes in loud and clear.

bob_e99
10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
This was a good question as I oftened wondered the same thing although my chances of coming across a group of coins that large is probably about the same as winning the lottery.

Thanks for posting it.

MartinL
10-31-2011, 05:33 PM
This was a good question as I oftened wondered the same thing although my chances of coming across a group of coins that large is probably about the same as winning the lottery.

Thanks for posting it.

That is not true at all. We all have modern metal detecting equipment, right, and you are purposely swinging for treasure. The lottery is far more worse in odds. Besides, treasure hunting is sorta free and fun, AND even your own property could have a cache. You just never know. I have one spot here that I just can't get enthisiastic about simply because there is so much surface junk...I know it was a country dump to some degree, even though it is'nt ugly. There are a few huge targets, and I know more than one are roofing tin buried under 3 of the dead leafs and such. Will I spend the time to dig those? Most likely not, briars and vegetation is an added deterrent. But who knows what the mentality of someone burying their loot was at the time? What if you were trying to hide the good stuff today, knowing detectors were all over the place? A small dump area might be a keen idea since detectors have evolved like they have. martin

Dimeman
10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
That is not true at all. We all have modern metal detecting equipment, right, and you are purposely swinging for treasure. The lottery is far more worse in odds. Besides, treasure hunting is sorta free and fun, AND even your own property could have a cache. You just never know. I have one spot here that I just can't get enthisiastic about simply because there is so much surface junk...I know it was a country dump to some degree, even though it is'nt ugly. There are a few huge targets, and I know more than one are roofing tin buried under 3 of the dead leafs and such. Will I spend the time to dig those? Most likely not, briars and vegetation is an added deterrent. But who knows what the mentality of someone burying their loot was at the time? What if you were trying to hide the good stuff today, knowing detectors were all over the place? A small dump area might be a keen idea since detectors have evolved like they have. martin

Some of the old junk people threw away years ago in small dump areas is worth money today. Could be old copper pots or other copper items, brass items, even old aluminum is worth more today than when it was thrown away. Even old bottles are worth some bucks.

Who knows.....when throwing stuff into the area they might have lost a ring or two. Take a few days--out there with a weedeater, lawnmower and get the vegatation down to where you can swing a coil.
You will have an area clean and you never know what you will find unless you detect there.

bob_e99
11-03-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm not questioning your statistical probabilities or your facts just the fact that my luck usually runs toward the bad which is why I never gamble even when the odds are 51/49. :)

RaZR
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Since i started detecting i have dug up about a dozen mason jar lids. They give off a large area signal and are often quite deep. But someone had removed the glass jar full of coins from under all the ones i found. So i can't tell you what that would sound like. lol