PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Digging with my son

bob_e99
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Went to visit my son (z118) to see the family and to get in some hunting time together. True to his word, all the sites he took me to had the potential for silver but he failed to mention that he would be the one finding it :thinkingabout:

The first day we were pretty even in finds, even getting one silver Rosie each. The next two days, I think he swapped my detector with a broomstick as he was digging faster than I could humanly swing.

After three days of hunting, I came home with 9 quarters, 22 dimes (including the silver Rosie), 1 nickel, 56 pennies including 5 wheats, an old bus token plus a variety of other objects.

The complete collection:
[attachimg=1]

The wheats:
[attachimg=2] [attachimg=3]

The mouse pin:
[attachimg=4]

The buckle (which to me looks old):
[attachimg=5]

Something :huh:
[attachimg=6]

And finally the silver:
[attachimg=7] [attachimg=8]

z really whooped me on the silver but it was great to hunt with him and the weather made it even better. For the time being he is still the master and I am still Grasshopper.

Thanks for looking.

z118
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I forgot about the bus token; that's a good dig. Too bad it didn't hold up better... the soil can be pretty rough around here. I'm glad you got that Rosie, but as for my digs... well, you know the home team always has the advantage. lol We'll have to see how I do when I come out your way!

Anyway, thanks for a fun weekend!

Mudder
10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
:shocked03: Bob, you also did very well for the weekend. Congratulations. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

aloldstuff
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Bob, If I remember right you just got your etrac. Wait till next year when you have some more experience under the belt, then you can give your son a run for the money. Congrats on all your finds and with being able to hunt with your son.

Al

Epi-hunter
10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
You two had a great weekend! |:cheering:

The buckle is definitely old; the mouse pin is as well. I thought it might be valuable; unfortunately it doesn't seem so but still a very cool find: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83193251/vintage-white-mouse-pin

Congratulations on the silver and wheats and old token! :beerbuddy: Loved reading your story and z's :clapping:

What is on the back of that round silver thing with stones that looks like it has a bird on it? Is it silver?

396nova
10-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Great weekend hunt, and nice story. thumbsup01 Competition make the hunt ever more fun. :happydance01: Good quality time, and silver is always great. :cheering:

Cheap Thrills
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Nice finds and I'm sure you had a lot of fun . You are very fortunate that you can go detecting with your son. thumbsup01 :cool: one of my sons used to go with me when he was younger but when he realized good finds weren't guaranteed on every hunt he tired of it fast. :-\ My two Grandkids are showing an interest though . :happydance01: best of luck to both of you on your future hunts . |:cheering:

:groovy:

bob_e99
10-28-2011, 06:28 AM
You two had a great weekend! |:cheering:

The buckle is definitely old; the mouse pin is as well. I thought it might be valuable; unfortunately it doesn't seem so but still a very cool find: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83193251/vintage-white-mouse-pin

Congratulations on the silver and wheats and old token! :beerbuddy: Loved reading your story and z's :clapping:

What is on the back of that round silver thing with stones that looks like it has a bird on it? Is it silver?

Thank you EH. The mouse pin while not old in the sense of antiquity, is probably I would think 1940 or 1950 ish. It has really nice green stones for eyes which don't show up in the picture.
The round silver thing in not silver unfortunately (although I kept telling my son that is was lol ) and has a white plastic looking backing. It's one of those could have been great finds that's just sort of interesting.

Nice finds and I'm sure you had a lot of fun . You are very fortunate that you can go detecting with your son. thumbsup01 :cool: one of my sons used to go with me when he was younger but when he realized good finds weren't guaranteed on every hunt he tired of it fast. :-\ My two Grandkids are showing an interest though . :happydance01: best of luck to both of you on your future hunts . |:cheering:

:groovy:

Thank you, Sheik. I can very much relate to your son's feeling about metal detecting. I get hit with that 'Why am I doing this' feeling when I don't find anything interesting but I honestly think that the people on this site keep me motivated to get out and see what's up next. And while I don't find a lot of silver, when I do find one, really get me going.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.