PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this lid

Relic Whisperer
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
A few months back our detector club was given permission to detect the old fort Desoto settlement which took place during the Spanish American war in the late 1800's. The only catch was whatever we found went into the museum there, but a loy of fun anyway. So I found the pictured item which appears to be a lid that has been flattened out. The wings that stick out are groved on the back side as if to screw on to a jar. It has an elephant embossed on it and looks to be made of tin. The museum currator is stumped so I thought I would give the forum a shot. The best answer so far has been that it might be a lid off of a tea jar thinking that tea would have come from India where they have elephants. In any case, this is the only picture I have so I hope it may jog someones memory. It measures about 3 from tip to tip. Thanks for looking.

OxShoeDrew
10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi Stan, I don't get what I'm looking at. Were those wings pulled down over a glass jar? Seems like its a nice piece. I hope you get some answers.

Relic Whisperer
10-30-2011, 04:36 PM
The outer edge of the wings at one time appears to have folded down around a jar lid. Only the outer 1/4 inch or so though almost more like a cap not a screw lid. It was pretty cool. I'll hae o visit it in the museum if I want to see it again.

tanacat
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't know -very neat piece! I'm curious and will keep an eye on your thread :)