PDA

View Full Version : 1st post

sniffy
01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Here is a nice complete shoe buckle and a KG mystery copper I dug today while hunting with HEavymetalnut (ox knob extrordinaire). Sorry about the pic, Im gonna try to clean it up more and see if I can ID it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
ya did great today jesse! thumbsup01 nice finds for sure! hey ya like my hatchet? rofl

sniffy
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
ya did great today jesse! thumbsup01 nice finds for sure! hey ya like my hatchet? rofl
I don't know what lack of coppers do to you, just don't get no ideas with that hatchet lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't know what lack of coppers do to you, just don't get no ideas with that hatchet lol

:huh: :rolleyes: :grin: :yes: :twirlingeyes: :drool: :beatdown:

coinnut
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Nice complete shoe buckle.. I think Dave has 2, no...1, .....no ZERO of those lol But he's trying hard. ;) Nice hunt and a great addition to your collection. As for the holed copper, I couldn't make it out from that picture. But I'd watch your back so Dave doesn't try and chip away at your jacket. It may take him a while to break through, but he'll give you one heck of a bruise with that thing lol Maybe next time Dave, you'll take that new contraption they call a DFX out instead, and join the 21 century for pete's sake lol

Epi-hunter
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum! That is a beautiful shoe buckle. thumbsup01 I can't believe you guys are actually digging finds in this weather. :shocked04:

del
01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
very sweet and complete shoe buckle Jesse , how about a clearer front and back of that coin just to confirm its identity .

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
very sweet and complete shoe buckle Jesse , how about a clearer front and back of that coin just to confirm its identity .

his coin is about the size of a half cent.bust facing right.del about the 11:00 position and gratia going from like 1:00-3:00 position on obverse.couldn't make out anything on back

coinnut
01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
his coin is about the size of a half cent.bust facing right.del about the 11:00 position and gratia going from like 1:00-3:00 position on obverse.couldn't make out anything on back

Then it would most likely be a farthing. Just for the record, last year we weren't counting farthings as coppers, so in reality he found nothing rofl Just kiddin' ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Then it would most likely be a farthing. Just for the record, last year we weren't counting farthings as coppers, so in reality he found nothing rofl Just kiddin' ;)

yeah i'm thinking it's an early 1700's farthing

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
i think it's this!
jesse does it look like this?
that would make it irish no dan or G?

coinnut
01-31-2010, 09:15 PM
If it is, you should be able to see that 1722 or 23 date on that Hibernia. They are usually stamped pretty hard. Even if you can only locate the date but can't make it out, that would be enough to ID it. Only the Hibernia's have the date up there, I think.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
If it is, you should be able to see that 1722 or 23 date on that Hibernia. They are usually stamped pretty hard. Even if you can only locate the date but can't make it out, that would be enough to ID it. Only the Hibernia's have the date up there, I think.

ok hopefully he can see where the date is.the front had strong lettering.
so is this british or irish? if this is indeed what he has?

coinnut
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
so is this british or irish?

Both lol It's British made for the Irish

sniffy
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm actually starting to believe it's a rosa americana or woods hibernia. I'm afraid to clean it. Last coin I cleaned I wiped away all of detail.

sniffy
01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice complete shoe buckle.. I think Dave has 2, no...1, .....no ZERO of those lol But he's trying hard. ;) Nice hunt and a great addition to your collection. As for the holed copper, I couldn't make it out from that picture. But I'd watch your back so Dave doesn't try and chip away at your jacket. It may take him a while to break through, but he'll give you one heck of a bruise with that thing lol Maybe next time Dave, you'll take that new contraption they call a DFX out instead, and join the 21 century for pete's sake lol
I've been telling him to fire up the DFX...he won't budge. :confused:

sniffy
01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Dave you were right, Its a 1723 Hibernia half penny. I messed around with q tips and peroxide and found the date, matched it up with your pic. Its def it.

John M
02-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Very nice shoe buckle Sniffy.Definatlety looks like a Hibernia.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-01-2010, 07:14 AM
according to the redbook if it has a crown over rose on reverse it's a $115 coin.if no crown on rose it's a $900 coin!

sniffy
02-01-2010, 07:24 AM
according to the redbook if it has a crown over rose on reverse it's a $115 coin.if no crown on rose it's a $900 coin!
Wow, but I seriously doubt it would ever sell for that much considering it's shape and the big nasty hole right dab smack in the center of it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow, but I seriously doubt it would ever sell for that much considering it's shape and the big nasty hole right dab smack in the center of it.

WELL:huh:thinkingabout: crown or no crown? inquiring minds wanna know :bangahead01:
he he :rolleyes:

coinnut
02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
OK, you guys are getting out of control lol Is it a Hibernia or a Rosa Americana?? Cause if it's a Hibernia there is no crown over rose :confused: I thought you said it was probably a Hibernia? And if it's the size of a half cent it is a farthing not a half penny. Control yourselves before it becomes a Higley rofl Thanks for listening ;)

sniffy
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
OK, you guys are getting out of control lol Is it a Hibernia or a Rosa Americana?? Cause if it's a Hibernia there is no crown over rose :confused: I thought you said it was probably a Hibernia? And if it's the size of a half cent it is a farthing not a half penny. Control yourselves before it becomes a Higley rofl Thanks for listening ;)
rofl HIGLEY!! riiiiight......I AM BAD COPPER! This is a 1723 Woods hibernia half penny. Bad shape....awesome first...case closed.... :cheesysmile: