PDA

View Full Version : Who Whould've Thought? RARE VINTAGE RING!!

Ill Digger
10-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Sorry I'm a little late getting this posted :embarrassed: Joe (Jkress) has been getting on me about posting this. I'm just not sure what to do next :confused: :dontknow:
Maybe you guys can help? |:confused:)
Last weekend Ted,earl, and I went out and I found that big 14K ring and was so taken by that find I overlooked a little kids ring I found later in the day.The next morning while putting away the finds from the day before I came across this little ring. The face of the ring is the face of a cat. While I was brushing it off I could see some letters and writing starting to show up from under the dirt. :huh: After grabbing the magnifying glass I could make out.

Frank Buck's(along the top) JungleLand (Along the bottom)
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0998.jpg

On one side the initials NY (New York)
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0996.jpg

On the otherside it has the initials WF (Worlds Fair)
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0997.jpg

After doing a quick Google search I found out that Frank Buck was at the 1939 Worlds Fair.
Heres a link with the story of his show at the fair.
http://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/worlds_fair/wf_tour/zone-7/jungle_land.htm

But after looking at all of the history I still didn't see anything about this ring? :confused: :dontknow:
So I added the word ring to my Google search :dontknow:
Well all of a sudden all these auction sites popped up! :confused: :shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:
It turns out it's quite a collectable ring :dontknow: thumbsup01
Too bad I dinged it :rolleyes: :hairpulling: >{ But still a unique find thumbsup01
I'm wondering if maybe I should have it professionally restored or see if a ring collector would be interested in a dug ring?
After all they are supposedly awfully rare. :dontknow:
Any suggestions?
Thanks for lookin' & HH Everyone :groovy:

Epi-hunter
10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Here's the text that I found in a short google search:

A near mint condition example of the rare 1939 Frank Buck's Jungleland New York World's Fair ring sold for $3,800 with the buyer using the eBay Buy It Now option. This premium ring is one of the top key rings on the want lists of many ring collectors.

And you want to know if you should clean it up? :happydance01: OMG, yes!!!

Ill Digger
10-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Here's the text that I found in a short google search:

A near mint condition example of the rare 1939 Frank Buck's Jungleland New York World's Fair ring sold for $3,800 with the buyer using the eBay Buy It Now option. This premium ring is one of the top key rings on the want lists of many ring collectors.

And you want to know if you should clean it up? :happydance01: OMG, yes!!!
Yes! :yes: thumbsup01 I seen the same one. But you know all the talk about not trying to clean you relics and all :dontknow:
In the new issue of E&WT (same one with Angel in it) there's a big article on professional restorers.
Maybe I should get in touch with one of these guys? :dontknow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
|:cheering: sweet find! congrats and keep us posted on any restoration :groovy:

del
10-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Tim be careful about restorations i've seen alot of relics that needed some repair or a little fixing , bending ect. and they came back almost looking too good . what i mean is they were not even the same patina'd object , they looked like the item they got back was a reproduction that was artificially patina'd . so please if you find someone to do some repair work ask alot of questions about the process and tell them exactly how far in the restoration you want . its a great little ring by the way |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan

CODY
10-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Great find, please keep us posted on the results.

Full Metal Digger
10-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Forget it Tim. That ring is junk. Just send it to me for proper disposal! You know how much I love WF rings! Congrats on a great find! Yes, get it restored and sell it.

tanacat
10-25-2011, 06:56 AM
:omg: That is definately a collectible :clapping: I'm so curious what it will look like when cleaned up :yes: At least the ding is in a more inconspicuous place than across the cat's face- to be optimistic :) I hardly noticed until you mentioned.

I bet it could be 'smoothed' out a little and/or when cleaned not so obvious. It might be worth having a professional work on it :thinkingabout: Antique Roadshow here we come lol

That article about Frand Buck was very interesting- what I love about this forum- learning about all sorts of history. Btw, have you seen 'Water for Elephants' yet?? The article made me think of it. Excellent movie!

OxShoeDrew
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
This must be your Frank Buck starring in this 1937 clip Jungle Menace.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DdlYOiDxNNA0&v=dlYOiDxNNA0&gl=US
Funny how many times we don't know what we've found until later. That's a nice historical piece you got there.

jkress
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Here it is. :clapping: I was wondering when you were going to show everyone.
It looks much nicer than you described on the phone. You always seem to squeak out the exotic items. :yes: <:
Very unique design and even better that is a nice collectors piece.
I'm glad you noticed that one before it went into the junk ring bucket.

Ill Digger
10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
|:cheering: sweet find! congrats and keep us posted on any restoration :groovy:
Thanks Dave! :groovy: I will if I do :dontknow:

Tim be careful about restorations i've seen alot of relics that needed some repair or a little fixing , bending ect. and they came back almost looking too good . Thanks Dan! That exactly what I'm afraid of :rolleyes: :hairpulling: I guess I'll just have to make some phone calls and do some photo sending :dontknow: Thanks for the warnings!! |:confused:)

Great find, please keep us posted on the results.
Thanks Cody :grin: We'll do :yes: thumbsup01

Forget it Tim. That ring is junk. Just send it to me for proper disposal! You know how much I love WF rings! Congrats on a great find! Yes, get it restored and sell it.
Ok buddy it's on it's way! :yes: thumbsup01
Just sit there and wait. It should be there any time now. :angelic:.............. ;) :teasing: lol

:omg: That is definately a collectible :clapping: I'm so curious what it will look like when cleaned up :yes: crying01 IM SCARED!! :crying02: lol

At least the ding is in a more inconspicuous place than across the cat's face- to be optimistic :) I hardly noticed until you mentioned.
8/ lol Why couldn't it have been on the inside :rolleyes: or maybe not a ding at all :rolleyes: That would've been even better! :yes: lol

Btw, have you seen 'Water for Elephants' yet?? The article made me think of it. Excellent movie!
:huh: No :-\ Never heard of it. :dontknow: lol

Funny how many times we don't know what we've found until later. That's a nice historical piece you got there.
Yeah :dontknow: Who would've thought? :dontknow: lol
Hey Charlie, :thinkingabout: I can't seem to see the link your trying to show me.... :dontknow: :drool:

Cheap Thrills
10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
:wow:Fantastic find!!! :perfect10: |:cheering: thumbsup01
:groovy:

Fire Fighter 43
10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
That is an Fantastic find, a big Congrats Tim. If it was mine I would find a couple of collectors and pick there brains about what you should do with it. I would think if it is that rare and if the right type of restoration was done you could get a good price for it. They do restore antiques, but they need to be done correctly. That guy that is featured in W&E would be the person to talk to. His work looks very good and he seems to not overdo the restoration. Good luck.

Toadman
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
All the best getting it restored !!

milco
10-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow, what a historic item you have found, congrats! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. I agree find a couple interested collectors, get their take on it and then let the bidding war begin.

Ill Digger
11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
I agree find a couple interested collectors, get their take on it and then let the bidding war begin.
lol Yeah. I'm just not sure how the value will be affected?
I mean it's rare. O.K. :dontknow: But is it so rare that collectors will still be even a little bit interested even though it's been dug AND dinged? :rolleyes: >{ :dontknow:

All the best getting it restored !!
Thanks Rick :beerbuddy:

That guy that is featured in W&E would be the person to talk to. His work looks very good and he seems to not overdo the restoration. Good luck.
Thanks Jeff thumbsup01
Question for ya...
Which one sounds (just by the description in the mag) like the one you'd chose to do it for you..... if it was yours? :dontknow: :->

:wow:Fantastic find!!! :perfect10: |:cheering: thumbsup01
:groovy:

Thanks man! thumbsup01 :groovy:

BillZ
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Very cool find!
It reminds me of the Roy Rogers saddle ring I found a couple of years ago. Although yours is much more valuable.
Please keep us updated on what you decide to do with it.

Sal66
11-08-2011, 06:42 AM
:perfect10: Real nice find! After reading all the posts, I totally agree with Dan. It may actually devaluate the price if it's too restored. Maybe fix the ding with filler copper and have it color matched is all I would do.

CONGRATS!!
SAL66 (AKA 2-Cent Sal )

Sal66
11-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Here's the Picture that Tanacat was talking about and it appears to be brass. Here's the link. If it doesn't work left clicking the right click and choose open. I sent an email to the websites contact adress to get more info. about it as there is no information about it. It might of actually been made after the War due to brass being in demand at that time. I don't even think it was an item purchased at the fair itself, rather made privately in low numbers.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=55294&arch=y&ssd =2/17/2007%2012:01:00%20PM

Sal66
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Updated Info. on post 18 below. I enjoyed helping to find information on this item, although I'm still waiting for an e-mail for more info. about as there is only one other that I could find.

Civil War Nut
11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Very nice find LD. And you thanking about comeing south to Tn. Looks like you doing good to me !

Ill Digger
11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Very nice find LD. And you thanking about comeing south to Tn. Looks like you doing good to me !
Yep! :yes:
Don't get me wrong. I've been very fortunate this year! |:confused:)
But you know how many three ringers I found this year? :thinkingabout: Or heel plates? :dontknow: None! \:hammer: :crying02: lol
Thanks for the comment CWN! GL& HH :grin:

Sal66
11-28-2011, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, I would sell it just as it is. First of all, It didn't cost more than your time and secondly someone might want it just like it is. On Pawn Stars a guy brought in a nice CW beltplate with a bullet in it. Some people would take it out and restore it. I personally and alot of people will agree it's much cooler and more valuable with the bullet still in the plate.
Reminds me of a time a guy found a Gold coin embedded in a piece of corral. It was found out that it's worth more like that to a collector and I agree 100% . Your ring looks great, so how much would you sell it to a
member of this site? Any idea yet? :beatdown: :interesting: :callme:

Maybe a trade plus cash?

Ill Digger
12-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Any idea yet?
\:[ Nope. I haven't even tried to contact anyone yet. :dontknow: :embarrassed: lol
But thanks for the reminder :poke: lol
I was going to kinda leave that as a winter project.
And from the way the mornings have been here lately.... :frozen: It shouldn't be long now, and I'll start to get the ball rolling. :yes: thumbsup01

...so how much would you sell it to a member of this site? Any idea yet? :beatdown: :interesting: :callme:
Maybe a trade plus cash?
:dontknow: I haven't even thought about it yet. :rolleyes: lol