PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this lid belived to be from late 1890's.

Relic Whisperer
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
A few months back our detector club was given permission to detect the old fort Desoto settlement which took place during the Spanish American war in the late 1800's. The only catch was whatever we found went into the museum there, but a loy of fun anyway. So I found the pictured item which appears to be a lid that has been flattened out. The wings that stick out are groved on the back side as if to screw on to a jar. It has an elephant embossed on it and looks to be made of tin. The museum currator is stumped so I thought I would give the forum a shot. The best answer so far has been that it might be a lid off of a tea jar thinking that tea would have come from India where they have elephants. In any case, this is the only picture I have so I hope it may jog someones memory. It measures about 3 from tip to tip. Thanks for looking.

del
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
sorry Stan that object does not look even somewhat familiar , wish i could help .

Dan

Relic Whisperer
10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Aww crap. del doesn't have a clue that can't be good. I still say a peanut butter jar lid, but I don't know if they had such a thing in 1890's. My second guess is the top to a can of chew. I guess I'll just have to go back to the site and find more stuff around where I found this and se if clues get unearthed. Thanks for looking Del.