PDA

View Full Version : gloves?

randy
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm curious what gloves people wear while detecting? I've been wearing batting gloves, because they are very nimble and dexterous, but they just don't stand up in the field. I've been thru three pair already this season, and they are burning up my clad money >:# >:#

Any info on brand and where you get them is appreciated.

del
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
hey Randy , most of the year i use regular mechanics gloves and for the colder months i'll use something with a little more insulation .

aloldstuff
10-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Randy, I went thru 3 pairs of gloves this year, then I broke down and bought a leather pair at Home Depot for $8.00. they have lasted for over 2 1/2 months so far.

Ill Digger
10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah I'm with Del. I'll buy those Mechanics (or something similar) gloves. But I've went through......at least 4 pairs this season.
I think Al is onto something. The last pair I bought have leather finger tips. I've already worn a hole through them, but they have lasted quite a bit longer than the rest have. :yes: I just don't want to have to wear a pair of big'ol welding gloves just so they'll last! lol
But when it's cold out :frozen: I'll wear what ever will fit through the cuff strap on my detector :yes: lol

pulltabsteve
10-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Tan leather work gloves from Home Depot for me. The easily last a year. |:cheering:

CyberSage
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Atlas Nitrile Tough Gloves - NT370BBKM

Tough, puncture proof, lightweight, highly tactile, breathable backs. I use about 2 pairs a year. $6.00 to $7.00 at your local hardware store.

http://www.simsupply.com/images/Product/medium/134791.jpg

Dinger51
11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Atlas Nitrile Tough Gloves - NT370BBKM

Tough, puncture proof, lightweight, highly tactile, breathable backs. I use about 2 pairs a year. $6.00 to $7.00 at your local hardware store.

http://www.simsupply.com/images/Product/medium/134791.jpg

I went through 2 pairs of those this season. I know this sounds crazy, but the tendon between my thumb and my index finger has been killing me using those gloves. Probably my fat hands... I bought a mechanics pair last night. We will see how those do...

RaZR
11-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Brown jersey gloves. They don't last long and don't cost much. And when it's cold out they are great for wiping your nose on. :shocked04:
I use one on my left hand and have an old moto-cross glove on my right hand.
I cut off the velcro strap on the moto glove cuz i was tired of it catching on the arm cuff cover.

Ytcoinshooter
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
For the last 4 years when I did turf I've been using the exact same gloves as Jack. Before that I used a variety if protection. I like these Atlas gloves best and there is an insulated version - also cheap. I can't go into a store without looking for stuff I can use detecting!

earthmansurfer
12-04-2011, 03:28 AM
I have pretty similar gloves as Jack. They have a high cut factor, meaning glass can't slice them.

As it gets colder I wear a warmer glove, but it isn't glass proof completely, softer material, but so far no problem. Even with gloves I'm careful and let the knife do the digging.

EMS

OxShoeDrew
12-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I have pretty similar gloves as Jack. They have a high cut factor, meaning glass can't slice them.

Glass can't cut through the gloves in Jack's picture? They look like glass would go right through.

Bell-Two
01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
I go to Harbor Frieght they have a large variety of gloves that are inexpensive. Ranging from less than two bucks to 5 bucks a pair. In the winter when it is a bit wet I wear a pair of the latex or nitrile thin gloves and then the others over them seems to work.

POKIE73
01-21-2012, 08:24 AM
my son gets me some from where he works they are light and they wear pretty good they also are a little tacky for a good grip but if i was to buy some belltwo is right harbor freight is hard to beat for the price dennis

p52ntwrk
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
i just picked up a pair today from harbor freight for the third time in 2 months.
dont get me wrong they are excellent
very grippy
could be more flexible
price is $1.97 excellent

P.S. i lost the last pair so they are durable!
not to mention they find other jobs to do other than metal detecting.

shoulder bag
gloves
trowel
sifter
brush
neodymium magnet that yellow green thing on the leash |:cheering:

i use a short shovel from Home Depot as well.
and a pro pointer from Harbor Freight.

milco
05-31-2012, 11:03 PM
I buy these really inexpensive thin cloth lightly neoprene coated gloves at the Home Depot. They sell them on the end caps for like $6.99 for ten pairs. They are cheap but they last awhile and are thin. I also wash them and just hang them up to air dry when they get dirty. When they get holes in or big snags then I throw them away. One pack for $6.99 will last me one whole year.

freemindstuck
07-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I use the same type of gloves as milco. Cheap cloth lightly coated neoprene. You have to wear something in the midwest when relic hunting or the poison ivy will get you every time. The roots are just as bad as the leaves. Being washable is a must because the oil on the gloves is still poisonous and I've gotten poison ivy just handling my gloves after use.

Celluforce
07-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I use Northflex safety gloves made of seemless Dyneema... The model I use is the NFD16G Gray DyneemaŽ shell, coated with gray PU...

[attachimg=1]

I use these gloves because I used to work with them at the shop... They are very resistant and they are resistant to the abrasion. They are distribute by North safety products.

http://northsafety.com/

Daniel <;)

kelpike
07-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I am a carpenter by trade and have tried just about every type of glove out there. I need something that is durable but yet thin enough that I can still pull nails out of my pouch and handle tools. The gloves I found to last the longest are the green ones from Harbor Freight. They kinda resemble the mechanics gloves. They are about $10 bucks but are on sale quite often for about $8.

nicklehead
10-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Uninsulated Camoskinz shooting gloves are my choice. They're surprising durable with great dexterity through the thin leather palms. Just picked up a couple pairs for 7 bucks each. Buy them a little large however as they tend to run a little small--at least on my bear paws!

http://www.cabelas.com/ is a good source

Fire Fighter 43
10-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I use General purpose Firm Grip brand gloves. I purchase them from Home Depot. What I like about them is they are only $9.99/pair, the dexterity is good, they are fairly cool in the summer , fairly warm in the winter and they have a Velcro closure that prevents dirt from getting in. I usually will wear out a couple pair per season and the wear is usually the tips of a couple fingers. Here is link
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100372747/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Firm+grip+gloves&storeId=10051&superSkuI d=202892906#.UIQ1zJG9KSM
I also use ice fishing gloves when it gets really cold.

aloldstuff
01-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I am now going into my second year with the same pair of leather gloves.

TC-NM
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm curious what gloves people wear while detecting? I've been wearing batting gloves, because they are very nimble and dexterous, but they just don't stand up in the field. I've been thru three pair already this season, and they are burning up my clad money >:# >:#

Any info on brand and where you get them is appreciated.

Hello Randy,

I prefer gloves that have some tackyness at each finger tip so gripping the detector handle, digging tool/trowel and other tools won't slip. I found these at Harbor Freight. There named 'western safety' and there about under 6 bucks. There made of nylon and faux leather so you can throw them in the washing machine if really dirty. My friend gave me a pair of G-Tech gloves a couple of years ago and I really like the feel and the tackyness at each finger tips, they run about 4 bucks.

Good Luck in your decision,

TC-NM

RobW
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Gloves:huh: :dontknow:

Overrated. Get your hands dirty, and use your Lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole. But when it's cold, I just use cheap brown cloth gloves to keep my hands warm.

del
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Gloves:huh: :dontknow:

Overrated. Get your hands dirty, and use your Lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole. But when it's cold, I just use cheap brown cloth gloves to keep my hands warm.

oh Rob , Rob , Rob \:hammer: , you'll quickley change your stance after that first time you slice your finger open on a piece of glass or sharp piece of metal while your scooping out the dirt from a hole.

i have a bet that Al isnt big on kissing boo-boos either lol lol

Evan
01-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I use heavy leather work gloves that my company gets for doing septic work. I find I lose a little dexterity but am fully protected when something tries to poke me in the hole. The gloves also come in very handy for bottle diggin' as they are so thick there is no risk of cuts when handling glass shards... They also work super well for heavy yard work...

Tony Two-Cent
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
oh Rob , Rob , Rob \:hammer: , you'll quickley change your stance after that first time you slice your finger open on a piece of glass or sharp piece of metal while your scooping out the dirt from a hole.

When I first got my E-Trac in the spring of 2011 I was hunting in a park and a little girl about 9 or 10 years old was watching me. She was very polite and well-mannered. I was recovering a target and reached down into the hole to scoop the dirt out. I cut my finger BAD on a piece of broken glass. The blood was pouring out. I thought the little girl was going to pass out. (And I didn't feel so hot either, LOL!)

From that day on I have never hunted without gloves. Lesson learned.

RobW
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM

AAAAHHH...Dan...be a man...some cuts and scraps, a little blood...just make sure you have your tetnise shot up to date....
as I said just use your lesche or small shovel when needing to be careful in the hole...

But that just goes to show...you do care.... :grouphug:

aloldstuff
01-28-2013, 03:30 PM
When I first got my E-Trac in the spring of 2011 I was hunting in a park and a little girl about 9 or 10 years old was watching me. She was very polite and well-mannered. I was recovering a target and reached down into the hole to scoop the dirt out. I cut my finger BAD on a piece of broken glass. The blood was pouring out. I thought the little girl was going to pass out. (And I didn't feel so hot either, LOL!)

From that day on I have never hunted without gloves. Lesson learned. thumbsup01

It only took digging into red ants twice to convince me that gloves are needed. Won
t go detecting without them now.

ssserena
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
im with rob get your hands dirty!Gloves just go bad then you gotta buy more,heck if ya gotta buy gloves but the latex ones in a box it comes in 100 or so and is pretty cheap,unfortunately they do sweat a lot in the heat...

happycamper08
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I like the mechanics gloves all the others I have tried take away to much feeling or dexterity.

chief5709
04-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Yup, I'll back that up! I never wore gloves unless it was cold. Sliced my finger on a can slaw...

I wear cheap mechanic gloves from Northern Safety.

KSHOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Buy cheap you get cheap. I paid $20 for a pair at the hardware store and the have lasted 2 years.

NJJOSH
01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Ive used the mechanics gloves only they come apart at the seams on me. I now use harbor freight mechanics gloves under 6 bucks. I also welded a t handle on my digger so there isn't much pressure on the gloves

smeigs
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Like some of you, I use a pair of mechanix gloves. Had the same pair for about a year now and they are holding up. Small holes in the fingers but I tend to get a little excited sometimes! Smeigs

Scratch
07-19-2015, 01:05 PM
I used to detect without gloves but the hook end of a coiled spring taught me a lesson. True, the mechanic's gloves wear out pretty quick, but while they last they have pretty good 'feel' and fit.
I used heavy leather gloves for underwater recovery. The last thing you want to leave behind you in Gulf waters is blood.

Digger_O'Dell
07-19-2015, 08:34 PM
I use a knit coated cut level 3 safety glove. Being knit, it breathes well to keep cool in summer, yet adds warmth when it's cool. With the cut and abrasion resistance I have no signs of wear other when I lost some of the coating so far which was no big deal to me. I have dug many holes and suspect they will last many years. They have saved my hands countless times from broken glass, razor sharp shredded cans, etc. Price was only about $10. There are better ones out there too, depending on cut level, puncture resistance, and abrasion resistance. Just depends on what you want to spend. Seen extreme condition level 5 gloves go for over $200 a pair.