PDA

View Full Version : Low Expectations & Good Results

z118
10-30-2011, 08:18 PM
This was a busy weekend filled with various family obligations. I wasn't able to get out for my usual Saturday morning hunt, but when the opportunity arose to get out for an hour or so in the afternoon before my son's soccer game, I jumped on it. I picked an old favorite spot of mine - a small school I've hunted some 30 times before (though not at all this season). I was not expecting much as I have hunted this spot silly but I really just wanted to get outdoors with my hands in the dirt and my thoughts drifting. My low expectations were happily inaccurate. In not quite two hours I dug 84 coins worth $9.54 including a '41 Merc and a '53 Rosie, and also a small sterling ring. The silver coins (especially the Merc) were amazing to me - in 30 previous hunts I had managed only 6 silvers at this spot (all Rosies and war nickels). It was a fun little hunt for sure.

I did get out Sunday morning. I had all morning so I was hopeful that I could find some more keepers. I hit some tot lots early in the freezing cold and then did a little dirt digging, but I did not make any great finds. I did pull a Tiawanese 1 Chiao coin from the dirt... it gave a lousy signal and was some 8 inches down and surrounded by iron. I was thrilled to see something so shiny that far down but of course it's aluminum. Still a neat dig I guess. I think it was minted in 1955 but I'm not certain.

Happy hunting!

Ill Digger
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Low Expectations alotta times works out the best! :dontknow: :yes:
Just turn it on and say. :dontknow: Lets see what happens. :dontknow: :)
The next thing you know you got a Merc, Rosie and a dandy little sterling ring and a ton of clad :beerbuddy:
Good times! :beerbuddy: = Good Results thumbsup01
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

jkress
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow. :shocked04: Two great hunts. :clapping:
You must have hit those silvers at just the right angle at the school. :happydance01:
The sterling ring is a nice one. :smitten:
Congrats.

bob_e99
10-31-2011, 06:54 AM
You're doing pretty good with the silver lately :yes: and you always seem to find a wide variety of stuff thumbsup01
:clapping: :clapping:

I'm glad to see that you were able to get away for a nice couple of hunts. For a change, we got hit with the snow so detecting is out until it melts a bit.

tanacat
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice little haul of clad & silver! :clapping: The ring is unique design :)

aloldstuff
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
A merc, rosie, and a sterling ring, excellent hunting. And you have been there over 30 times before. Congrats on finding those keepers