PDA

View Full Version : Gold bug

kurtnks
02-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello All, I think I might give one of these a try when they come out. At 2lbs 8oz light enough to work a field all day,should make a good relic machine with the 11 coil. What do you guy's think?And price isn't to bad ;)

http://api.ning.com/files/96cp-gEfiErnMQsUr*EB1155cgKc0q5Illji8CtZIgVyIo4RMLdxEok OGHBaM6SWCEhjm2BlB01NVCHTxpLF9dIE1dfSvwky/GoldBugnewManual.pdf

coinnut
02-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey, I think that's about a $700.00 machine, maybe a bit more with the 11 coil. It sounds like a entry level gold machine, since some other manufacturer's can cost you up to $4500.00 :shocked04: I'm not sure on the depth it has as opposed to the standard type machines. I'm assuming it runs at a high frequency so it will respond to gold targets better than copper / brass. I guess you need to figure out what type of metal are you hunting for? I bet it's really good on gold, iron and probably nickle, but I think it lacks on silver and copper targets. But I've never owned one, so let's wait until someone that has a Fisher can tells us more. But that's my guess at it. :)

Lowjiber
02-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I met a guy here in Nevada who has a Gold Bug 2 and loves it. I know its operating freq is really high...above 70kHz. That's good for gold.

kurtnks
02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for reply guys, this gold bug isn't out yet.I talked with a dealer that I buy all my stuff from and he thought it would retail around 500.00 or so.Fisher say's this runs on a 19khz so should grab silver nice :-\ I was thinking about getting one for my son for relic hunting old home sites and what knot,my F75 is a little to much for him. I might wait for some reviews get out on it or just see for myself :twirlingeyes: Like the fact it has the ground grab like the F75 also thumbsup01

Lowjiber
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Fisher say's this runs on a 19khz so should grab silver nice.
In my previous post, I failed to realize that the Gold Bug you referred to is a new model by Fisher. Sorry...My Bad. :crazy:

For several years, the Fisher Gold Bug series has been a huge success in finding low conductive targets like gold.

I wanted to point out that 19kHz is not the optimum frequency for silver. Silver is an excellent conductor, and responds better to lower frequencies (around 3kHz).

kurtnks
02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for that clarification Lowjiber,may get one for my son to use and may try it out in a field I know of that might have a few gold coins in :-\ I plan on going on a few prospecting trips this year so what the hey,if it is a piece of junk it will be a back up to my back up rofl

RickO
02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Worth a try. If it does not work as you hope, try the White's GMT or if you are prospecting.. the TDI. RickO

coinnut
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for reply guys, this gold bug isn't out yet.I talked with a dealer that I buy all my stuff from and he thought it would retail around 500.00 or so.Fisher say's this runs on a 19khz so should grab silver nice :-\ I was thinking about getting one for my son for relic hunting old home sites and what knot,my F75 is a little to much for him. I might wait for some reviews get out on it or just see for myself :twirlingeyes: Like the fact it has the ground grab like the F75 also thumbsup01

Wow, 19Khz is a low frequency for a gold machine. It still is low enough enough to pick up coins, even silver and copper. Just not the best frequency for those metals. The price I saw for $700.00 must have been for the Gold Bug 2. Even though it only said Gold Bug in the add. I think it will work just fine for what you are intending it for. Let us know when you get it.