PDA

View Full Version : Fairgrounds with Ill Digger = Pile of Old Coins

Tony Two-Cent
11-05-2011, 09:47 PM
We didn't think we were going to be able to make it happen, but somehow the stars aligned and me and Tim were able to cobble together a hunt today at an old fairgrounds that was established in the 1870s. The site was a little over 2 hours away for me, so I hit the road at about 5:45 this morning and arrived at 8:05 a.m.

Tim showed up at 8:30 and it was a pleasure to finally meet Captain Coinspill! After brief introductions and some chit-chat we fired up the E-Tracs and started swinging away. The older coins were hiding at first, and I think that Tim was afraid that I drove all that way for nothing. However, after about 45 minutes or so I finally found a couple wheat cents, and then my first silver, a 1942 Merc. No Silverless Drive Home of Shame for me today!

This site ended up being wheatie heaven for me. I found 22 of them by the end of the day, my second highest daily total of the year. (My record this year is 37 in one day.) Tim had to leave at 3:30 to attend a Thanksgiving-like dinner, so he is probably in a food coma right now. :lol:

After Tim left I continued to hunt and found two more Mercs, an 1896 Indian Head, and an old bus token from Aurora, IL. The token rang up just like a nickel. All-in-all it was a very enjoyable day for me! It was nice getting to meet Tim finally, and it was very nice of him to invite me to hunt this site with him! I hope we can do it again soon!

del
11-05-2011, 09:55 PM
it is great to meet a fellow hobbyist that you talked to for a while ,huh. you had a very nice hunt Tony |:cheering: |:cheering: that indian is a sweet one too. :smitten: :smitten: congrats on it and the mercs :perfect10:

silver star
11-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the silver,IH and wheats :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:. You guys had great time and found some nice coins too. That token is very cool, its from town where I live now :yes:. Good luck and HH. Mike

randy
11-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Looks like a great spot. Surely there is a lot more silver there -- congrats!

jkress
11-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Awesome coinage Tony. :clapping: Looks like the targets there kept you very busy.
Glad to hear you guy were able to meet up for a hunt. Three silvers, an nice IH, a pile of wheats and
and a bonus token would keep me smiling the whole way home. :yes:
You've been having some great hunts lately... keep the streak alive.

CODY
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds like it was a great hunt with a lot of great finds. Thanks for sharing. More HH

Epi-hunter
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow, some great old coins :perfect10: Congratulations! Great that you two were able to get together thumbsup01

angellionel
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Man, Tony, you really went to town in that hunt. :clapping: If you were not smiling during that hunt, then you need to have your pulse checked. lol Sweet digs. :yes:

mike l
11-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Nice pile of oldies, love the bus token. It was worth the 2 hour drive :peace:

catskillcomics
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
congrats Tony! If you get back there, don't forget to check the livestock pens, you'd be surprised how much silver may be hidden in those pens.. I've found several in them at our fairgrounds...

anotherpulltap
11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
talk about dedication, driving two hours to the site is quite impressive in itself. That site is very productive and those coins are well worth it :girlcry:.

Full Metal Digger
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Nice haul of coins Tony! I SO wish I could have met up you guys. My 8-hour hunt here STUNK to high heaven >:\ I found tons of clad and toy cars. Over 120 coins I dug and not one silver. The 14 wheaties I did find seem very lonely without a silver friend or two. That IH you found sure looks nice! Maybe I can get up there next weekend to hunt that park we talked about? Looks like the weather may hold out another week or so before it gets too cold. Bets wishes and HH, Dave.

MinelabIowa
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Great job on your hunt Tony!! Fantastic finds!

Cheap Thrills
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Awesome hunt Tony !! Looks like you guys had a great time . :clapping: |:cheering: :cool:

Ill Digger
11-06-2011, 11:36 PM
We didn't think we were going to be able to make it happen, but somehow the stars aligned and me and Tim were able to cobble together a hunt today at an old fairgrounds that was established in the 1870s. The site was a little over 2 hours away for me, so I hit the road at about 5:45 this morning and arrived at 8:05 a.m.

Tim showed up at 8:30 :blush: Sorry I was late :embarrassed: Plus the stop at the gas station didn't speed things up any lol

and it was a pleasure to finally meet Captain Coinspill!
<} Hey! I like that! lol

Yeah! It was good to meet you too Tony! It's was cool of you to make the trip on such short notice. You were right. I was defiantly getting a little worried :blush: . I didn't what either one of us going home silverless \:hammer: Or at least with something cool! But we made it happen anyway didn't we! thumbsup01 It worked out good! thumbsup01 You were also correct about me being in a turkey and gravy induced coma about that time! :yes: lol
You even did better after I left! I'm glad to see you had a good hunt! And now I know it's worth going back :yes: lol
I dig the bus fair token too! Thats cool! :cool:
Congrats on a great hunt! :grin:

I'd be honored to hunt with you again anytime! :yes:

skribnodsister
11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Nice finds Tony, thats alot of good digging! The bus token is way cool :perfect10: Congrats on the silver |:cheering:

Sal66
11-08-2011, 09:45 AM
:wow: Nice going Tony. The IH's and Merc's look great. Any Key date Wheaties ?

aloldstuff
11-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Tony, sounds like you had a great time. Silvers, a pile of wheats a real nice token and that IH looks preety good to. Congrats on a great hunt.

JTGOLD
11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
very good hunt Tony,and nice finds,merc's wheats and an IH,great day.

bradagan62
11-08-2011, 06:49 PM
thumbsup01Awesome finds, thanks for sharing. |:cheering:

Mudder
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
:peace: Looks like a very nice spot Tony. I would look into another visit. The Mercs along would be worth the drive. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

bob_e99
11-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Sounds like a great day and with some great finds! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Those old fairgrounds sound like a dream hunt site.
:sleepy:

Congrats!

Fire Fighter 43
11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Now that's a nice pile of coins. Those old fairgrounds are loaded with coins you just have to work around the trash and take your time.