PDA

View Full Version : Scratched coil question

hammer88
11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
How bad does a coil have to be scratched or dinged up to effect performance? just wondering my dfx has a few scratches on it.

Lowjiber
11-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm of the opinion that scratches and dings mean nothing as long as the coils inside are not exposed to moisture. The poly covering is simply the case to protect and hold the coils in proper alignment and has nothing to do with the electrical interaction of the coils.

I hunt the desert where there are plenty of sharp rocks and zero grass. My 6x10 Eclipse DD coil sure takes a beating and the bottom looks like someone carved a road map into it. However, it remains as sensitive today as when I bought it two years ago.

del
11-06-2011, 08:28 AM
hey Hammer , i agree with Lowjiber . i have the dfx and Lord knows in the last half dozen years it has seen some rough conditions and some abuse in that time . i never really got into using a coil cover so my coils have many scratches and dings but still work perfectly.

hammer88
11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your quick responses! That is what I thought I just wanted to be sure.

firstring
11-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Well at least one thing with scratched coils, you know you are swinging it and putting it to work. Keep on scratching.

freemindstuck
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm of the opinion that a coil without scratches is kinda like a metal detector with no dirt on it. It just ain't right.

Toadman
08-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Never had a coil cover.. never want one......

JH
08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I use a coil cover... cheap protection to make the coil last longer. Easy on and off with my machine, dont know about other machines... ::usaflag::

Mort
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
:shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked01: :omg: :wow: I don't understand people..DUH.... a coil cover is cheap your equipment isn't HELLO!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

wrvond
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm of the opinion that a coil without scratches is kinda like a metal detector with no dirt on it. It just ain't right.

All my coils get covers. And all my detectors are washed after every outing. I also wax the shiny ones every now and then. It's cheap, easy, and keeps the value of my detectors up there. Plus, I find it rather therapeutic.
Due to events beyond my control, I don't get to hunt as much as I used to - maybe four days a week instead of every day, and I hunt in the rain, snow, sun - it doesn't matter. I clean it all before I put it away.

johnedoe
06-23-2013, 12:59 PM
The only thing you might want to be aware of when using coil covers is that unless you seal them with a little bead of silicon You will get some material between the cover and the coil.... Now if this material is highly mineralized it will make your machine act a little strange, the cure is to simply remove the cover, clean out the dirt, replace the cover..... of course the remedy to this is sealing the cover as mentioned earlier... :cool: