PDA

View Full Version : Has your V3i locked / froze up?

Ytcoinshooter
11-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Has anyone had the same thing happen to their V?
Got out 11/6 for about 3 1/2 hours in one of my productive colonial era fields. The problem happened shortly after I balanced and started swinging. I was on a freshly charged stock battery pack. The V3i totally locked up and would not respond to any keypads or the trigger. The display showed 53 and nothing blinked, a solid lock up like it was a still photo, no audio - nothing. I pulled the battery waited a few seconds , inserted battery, turned on, balanced and hunted the rest of the day just fine. It seemed stable after and I doing well digging flat buttons. I will post up a shot of my finds once I get a chance Sunday or Monday. It's been a heck of a week, eight days without electricity, heat or hot water. The time detecting really helped clear my head. When something happens once and doesn't happen again we call it a glitch, if this happens again I'd be concerned that it could be a trend.
I should post this freeze of my V3i on Whites own website as well.

CyberSage
11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey coinshooter!
I have had mine lock up on me one time. I wouldn't worry to much about it unless it happens again in short order. They are a computer, and computers glitch from time to time. Look forward to hearing more about your hunt.

Jack

Ytcoinshooter
11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Jack! For now and my referral to glitches and trends aligns with your post. I'm an old I.T. guy starting in the 1970's and know whites has done practical, useful things with incorporating modern computer design into their units.
I'd love to know the tech specs of the V3i, clock speed, memory, bus speed etc. Jack, your postings are very informative and fun to read.
Regards,
Bruce

Civil War Nut
11-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Hidy Yt . I had the same thing happen on my DFX & V3 . On the DFX when I sent it back they said , all it was , was one of the little terminals where you screw the coil into the main box needed cleaning . Got it back and worked fine to this day for another man , he offerd me 850.00 for it & two coils . The V-3 done the same thing not long after I got it , sent it back and it was the 10 DD-coil went out . Got a new coil and is working fine . That is all the problems I have had with Whites , but I have had I dont know how many other M.D.s . But with the V-3 & the V-3i I have found a 100% more stuff and less time digging junk . But I mainly hunt Civil War stuff ,and most of that is in fields . I have the super 12 coil on the V-3 because of more depth . If any one has a V-3 they can air test the V-3 with the 10 , then just unscrew the 10 and hook the 12 up and use your hand and go over the same thing ,( NO RINGS OR WATCHES ON YOUR HAND and find out the difference for there selves . I leave the 10 on the V3i for back up . Good luck hunting !

Ytcoinshooter
11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks CWNut! That's really good to know. Also I do have the super12, 5.3 & 6x10 but have not tried anything but the stock 10&quot:grin:cheesysmile: so far. Thought I'd get familiar with 10&quot:grin:cheesysmile: first. I have to test my non V 5.3 x 6x10 to see how much I can push the settings.Time to get serious , the 12 I will use next time I get back to the field I was in Saturday. The coverage & depth will be better. My DFX w/10x14 was good there except for the heavy mud that clung to it. I have trust in Sweethome if any real issues arise.
Thanks!