PDA

View Full Version : A very nice weekend

z118
11-06-2011, 08:37 PM
This was to be a weekend of detecting for me. The Mrs and my son had an overnight trip planned so I had nowhere to be and nothing to do that would prevent me from detecting myself silly. After seeing them off on Saturday morning I headed a few towns over to a old school with a nice tot lot and a large open field. I'd hunted the field a few times before and based on the few wheats I'd found I figured there was an outside chance at silver. It was freezing when I arrived and I hunted the tot lot while I waited for the frost on the grass to melt. It did after a fashion and I was soon humming along with the Etrac in the dirt. It was still pretty cold and the grass was wet and the ground very muddy. Targets were sparse and I was getting wet and messy. But then on a run of the mill signal out pops a '45 Merc and suddenly I wasn't cold and the mud was not so bad. It's funny how that one first silver really takes all the pressure off the rest of the hunt. After an hour or so I headed back to my car for a break and along the way I got a nice '53 dime. I'm a simple man, and for me sitting in my car on a beautiful day, having a snack, listening to college football on the radio, looking at some shiny silver dimes I just dug, and knowing I have as long as I want to try to find more is as close to heaven as I can expect to get. After my break I got back into the field and after a short while was rewarded with a shiny '61 quarter. Not a particularly old or amazing coin but I'll take it any day. I didn't think the hunt could get any better but before I left I had another silver quarter - this time a '58. This was the first time I've ever found 2 silver quarters in the same hunt.

I got out a second time in the late afternoon on Saturday and hit a local field hoping for maybe another silver coin, but instead came away with two small silver rings. It was a beautiful evening out with the setting sun casting deep yellow light on the almost bare trees and nothing in the blue sky but the cool white moon. I snapped a pic but it doesn't do the scene justice. It was a satisfying day for sure.

I had great plans for Sunday, and set my alarm early hoping to be at a city park that I had hunted a few weeks earlier with my father at the crack of dawn. Unfortunately I woke up in no condition to detect, and instead spent the morning trying to figure out which end to put on the john. Is there a barfing emoticon? :barf: Holy cow there is.

I did feel better as the day went on and managed to get out for a short hunt that produced only clad, but again it was a stunning sunny and warm fall day so I didn't mind at all.

Total for the weekend was 145 coins worth $15.54. 41 of those were nickels. The total also included 7 wheats and the 4 silver coins. There was also the usual key, and fishing weight, buttons, and trinkets. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.

Happy hunting!

MinelabIowa
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
What a hunt you had! I really like the rings and the silver you found. Great job!

Tony Two-Cent
11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm a simple man, and for me sitting in my car on a beautiful day, having a snack, listening to college football on the radio, looking at some shiny silver dimes I just dug, and knowing I have as long as I want to try to find more is as close to heaven as I can expect to get.

I couldn't have said it any better myself! Well put, and words to live by!

Congrats on the silvers, I love the quarters! Those aren't easy to come by, especially two in one day!

Thanks for the great post and wonderful photos! :clapping:

jkress
11-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Great post Z! :yes: Even better finds. :peace:
This is a great hunt... the kind I dream about.
Two silver quarters and two dimes... :drool:
A big congrats to you.

I'm a simple man, and for me sitting in my car on a beautiful day, having a snack, listening to college football on the radio, looking at some shiny silver dimes I just dug, and knowing I have as long as I want to try to find more is as close to heaven as I can expect to get.

:yes: :smitten: Call me simple too because it just doesn't get any better than that. :)

bob_e99
11-07-2011, 07:36 AM
:wow: :wow: :wow:

Still showing me who the master is, right? :white:usaflag::

lol

Awesome hunt! Silver rings and coins and what a total coin count. :shocked03:

Congrats on a superb hunt.

|:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

randy
11-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Glad you feel better. I agree that first silver is sweet -- I think of it as the rest of the hunt is on the house when I get one early. Conrgats on some fine hunting.

aloldstuff
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Some nice hunting on Sat. 4 silvers is great. Sorry about the love affair with the toilet but glad to read you're feeling better.

Epi-hunter
11-09-2011, 10:48 PM
That is an incredible silver hunt z :perfect10:

And an incredible number of coins, as usual. I could not believe you dug 41 nickels in one day. :shocked03:

Congratulations! I am hoping for a hunt like that.

CODY
11-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Great finds