PDA

View Full Version : Picnic Grove Silver

jkress
11-06-2011, 09:16 PM
This afternoon was my first hunt in an area that was used very heavily for picnics and baseball from the mid 1920's to late 1950's.

I received the call from the owner yesterday afternoon to get my guys ready to go at 1:00 today. Unfortunately Ill Digger and Ted
couldn't make it and Dave was also busy today. So, it was up to Ron and me to locate evidence of the picnic area.

The main part of the picnic grove was covered in 3 foot field grass laying flat. We struggled to get our coils within 6 inches of the ground's surface.

After an hour of frustration, we moved our efforts to the outskirts of the picnic area on the ridge of the valley. Pulling our gear back out of my truck,
we both headed off in different directions looking for signs of activity.

I made a path for one of the big trees on the ridge. Got on the board with an old fork about 5 inches down. This gave me hope. A little closer to
the tree, a very nice to see 30's wheat cent came up. Moving in closer to the tree I finally heard the exact high tone I was hoping for.
Out pops a 1946 WLH. <:
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-183.jpg

For the next hour I circled the big tree finding more wheat cents, a Merc, a War nickel and even a 1942 regular nickel.
I didn't find any coins later than 1948. :) Suppose this would be referred to as the 'Cladless drive home of joy'. lol

Beyond the tree in the foreground of the picture is the main picnic grove. That will be a hot zone this coming spring
when the grass is flat.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-181.jpg

There is plenty of ground to hunt this year here on the ridge where the grass has been cut for hay.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-182.jpg

Here is Ron searching for an old one.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-52.jpg

My harvest.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-184.jpg

MinelabIowa
11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Way to go Joe! You have done research,, and it has payed off. Excellent finds ! You have got a nice productive site that should give you alot of great coins and relics for years to come! :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Great story and photos, Joe! Congrats on the wheaties and silver, especially the Walking Liberty Half! I love the photo of the half while its still in the wet soil. You must be going crazy with anticipation, wondering what awaits in the main picnic grove area!

Let me know if you need any help hunting that vast area! :grin:

Congrats on the finds and the great new detecting site!

Cheap Thrills
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
:wow:Awesome finds and pictures . What a beautiful spot . :perfect10:

dave in iowa
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Joe is this the spot , we talked about . looks like it
i was there years ago partying

Ill Digger
11-06-2011, 11:48 PM
This afternoon was my first hunt in an area that was used very heavily for picnics and baseball from the mid 1920's to late 1950's.

I received the call from the owner yesterday afternoon to get my guys ready to go at 1:00 today. Unfortunately Ill Digger and Ted
couldn't make it....
:crying02: :crying02: I tell you one thing! That won't happen again! \:hammer: lol
That is great news! :yes: :clapping:
That after your years of listening and looking and research. That it's finally paying off! :peace:
And what a way to to kick it off!! :shocked04: BIG SILVER !! <:
Those photos are postcards!
Looks like a nice.... quite,. :daydream:... peaceful... :daydream:... place to swing ... :daydream:....and listen for those high tones! lol
Great hunt Joe!
Congrats :grin:

skribnodsister
11-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Nice finds Joe, and beautiful pictures. Congrats on the silver! :cheering:

randy
11-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Sweet hunt <: Can't wait to see what comes of that hot zone next season.

z118
11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
That looks like one heck of an amazing spot. Never mind the amazing silver you found, the beauty of the surroundings there look like any hunt would be a pleasure. Congrats on your great digs and thanks for the post!

milco
11-07-2011, 07:30 AM
WTG on the great research Joe! That's a great set of finds for your first run there, it will definitely give you something to look forward to in the spring. Great pictures! Looks like a great way to spend a sunny fall afternoon.

aloldstuff
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
looks like ya got a lot of territory to cover for now. That picinic grove is going to be a hot spot judging by the tree finds. Very nice keepers

DennisH
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Way to go Joe!!!

CODY
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
:wow: A WLH, I would have a heart attack! Man you guys just don't know how fortunate you are to find such coins. I think the only thing here in the deep south that people carried was dimes and an occasional quarter. LOL But I also think the government flew over in a plane and dropped millions of mem. pennies on Ms. Ha. Again. congrats on the great finds :perfect10: and much more HH.

jkress
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
You have got a nice productive site that should give you alot of great coins and relics for years to come! :clapping:

Thanks Joe. Hopefully you are right. :yes:

You must be going crazy with anticipation, wondering what awaits in the main picnic grove area!

You got that right. The grove has been in the family since the early 1900's and have mentioned there
has never been a metal detectorist there. :drool: I'll keep you in mind for spring. :yes:

What a beautiful spot . :perfect10:

It is such a peaceful place to hunt. Tucked away out in the country. :smitten:

Joe is this the spot , we talked about .

Yeah, it's the spot I mentioned to you earlier in the spring. It was worth the wait. :yes:

:crying02: :crying02: I tell you one thing! That won't happen again! \:hammer: lol

No worries. I could tell you were bummed when we were talking on the phone. Sorry about the short notice, but
that's what I got too.

Can't wait to see what comes of that hot zone next season.

Me either. It's going to be a long wait until spring. :rolleyes: This place is the equivalent of an unhunted park. :drool:

Looks like a great way to spend a sunny fall afternoon.

:yes: It was perfect. Weather and targets.

Very nice keepers

Thanks Al.

Way to go Joe!!!

Thank you Dennis.

Man you guys just don't know how fortunate you are to find such coins.

Thanks CODY. Believe me, the half dollars don't come up that often... when they do it is exciting.

anotherpulltap
11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
:perfect10: Look at the scenery, I mean the silver coins. Great job!! :peace:

Epi-hunter
11-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Gorgeous photos Joe.... beautiful Iowa countryside. There is nothing else like it, and there will never be.

I miss it more than I can say.

Great hunt... you found a great place to hit again and again. Congatulations on your terrific finds Joe :yes:

tanacat
11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
:shocked03: Wow, wow, wow those are some beautiful pics Joe... esp the one with the big tree... amazing spot you found. And congrats on all the great coins!!!

Mudder
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
What a wonderful area to hunt, there may not be any really old coins, but I don't think I would let that bother me. You picked up some really sweet finds and a great looking walking lady. Congrats. |:confused:) happydance02 happydance02 :peace:

hockeyguy
11-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Excellent research and spot to hunt for some time Joe...congrats! Love to hear you are getting together with others from the board to hunt too.
BTW, those pics are amazing! IDK what type of camera you are using, but they are stunning!. :peace:

jkress
11-10-2011, 02:08 AM
:perfect10: Look at the scenery, I mean the silver coins. Great job!! :peace:

I'm with you... not sure which one I like better. :)

Gorgeous photos Joe.... beautiful Iowa countryside.

Thank you Angie. We do have our moments here in Iowa, especially in the fall. :yes:

:shocked03: Wow, wow, wow those are some beautiful pics Joe... esp the one with the big tree... amazing spot you found. And congrats on all the great coins!!!

Thanks Tana. After getting out of my truck and seeing that big tree, I knew where I was heading. :)

there may not be any really old coins, but I don't think I would let that bother me.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Probably not many Barbers or earlier hanging around... but I'll take all the Mercs, Rosies and Washingtons I can get. thumbsup01

IDK what type of camera you are using, but they are stunning!. :peace:

Thanks HG. It is great to get out hunting with American Detectorist members. :yes:
I use an old Nikon digital while out detecting. I don't bring a camera along often... but throw it in when I hit worthy spots.