PDA

View Full Version : ABRAHAM LINCOLN HARTFORD WIDE-AWAKES COPPER 1860 CAMPAIGN TOKEN

mdakin
11-06-2011, 11:25 PM
I went on a quick 1.5 hour hunt today at a previous site. They are clearing out the woods around it so I'm able to enter some areas I hadn't been able to get into. I got this cool token along with a nice sized tombac button in the same hole. I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite finds of 2011. I had never heard of the Hartford Wide Awakes and the association with Abraham Lincolns presidential campaign. This is an interesting piece of history leading up to the Civil War.

Below is a copy/paste from an eBay listing where I also found the token I dug along with the ribbon that was attached to it. Enjoy.

28mm ABRAHAM LINCOLN HARTFORD WIDE-AWAKES COPPER 1860 CAMPAIGN TOKEN. Inscription HARTFORD WIDE-AWAKES, two stars to right and left: center, a marcher wearing the uniform of the Loncoln Wide-Awake Club, carrying cane and a lantern. Reverse inscription, ORANIZED, five stars to right and left; center, a uniformed marcher carrying a torch light, below, 1860. Plain and reeded edge, holed at top with 13 star ribbon :usaflag: and pin. Listed in Sullivan Dewitt as AL 1860-40. Struck early in the campaign in Waterberry Connecticut and were considered the official insignia of the Hartford Wide Awakes.

Cheap Thrills
11-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Man that is one heck of a find , it's awesome that it is readable . Great photos that must have been a bit of work to get those great shots . :perfect10: :clapping: :yes:

skribnodsister
11-07-2011, 05:41 AM
:wow: thats one amazing token! Big congrats :perfect10: :perfect10:

randy
11-07-2011, 05:50 AM
That is a nice piece of history indeed |:cheering: Congrats.

rsarge1
11-07-2011, 09:03 AM
:wow: very nice find :perfect10:

CODY
11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Awesome find! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Congrats on digging some history. What an interesting item.

jkress
11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh my... that is incredible. :clapping:
It's hard to believe the piece has been resting in the ground
all of these years waiting for you to come along and bring it back to life.
Very well done sir. :clapping:

milco
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Fascinating and historic item, congrats on the recovery!

Ytcoinshooter
11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Matt, I really think that is one of the best token/medals to find. The historical provenance and the info you provide brings it together nicely for people who may not be familiar with place Hartford once held in the early history of our country. Just so darn cool! I was enjoying examining it at the meeting, but the forum is so great for close up pics. :clapping:
Congrats again!
HH-Bruce

Sal66
11-28-2011, 07:36 AM
:yes: Definitely a nice piece of history. Some pics make it look brass and some look like bronze. Do you know the metal content. If it's Brass it probably is copper guilted with brass. If bronze, It should be in better shape. I would say a copper token with a brass guilt, but i may be totally wrong. I wonder if the person that made the hole could of made it smaller making the head more visible. Knowing the metal content would be my concern. Is there alot of info. about it? Anyways, GREAT rare find!!