PDA

View Full Version : A NOT SO GOOD DAY CELLAR HOLE HUNTIN

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 08:17 AM
not all treasure every hunt. alot of hiking through 4 inches of snow filled, up hill trails. always nice to get out though. thumbsup01
I think i'd much rather shoot for the ox knob crown this year :twirlingeyes:
never seen one shaped like this yet.i bet it's valuable! rofl just kiddin of course ;)
never dug a whole lantern wick portion yet.usually just pieces.has a patent date of 1864 on it
not much to show but here goes ;)

Ill Digger
02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I can see it now...HEAVEYMETAL NUT....KNOB KING rofl :tongue:
Well it's more than I can show for so I'll shut up now lol
Congrats :grin:

sniffy
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I like that lantern top!

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I can see it now...HEAVEYMETAL NUT....KNOB KING rofl :tongue:
Well it's more than I can show for so I'll shut up now lol
Congrats :grin:

:huh: funny Tim..I'll getcha back for that one :beatdown:

RickO
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Sure looks like you may be 'King of the Knobbers'... rofl.. Have fun, HH RickO

Ill Digger
02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
:huh: funny Tim..I'll getcha back for that one :beatdown:

Go easy on me crying01
No harm ment by it :angelic:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Go easy on me crying01

ok ok i'll go easy on ya ;)

del
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
hey i'll give ya alot of guts to post those meager finds Dave . :yes: :yes: but its good to let the new peeps see that its not all coins and great relics. that anytime you go out , this or even less can be the results especially if your a little green at doing this type of detecting and just to let everyone know that doesn't know HEAVYMETALNUT , he knows his detector very well.

don't get discouraged buddy , just get back out there .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
hey i'll give ya alot of guts to post those meager finds Dave . :yes: :yes: but its good to let the new peeps see that its not all coins and great relics. that anytime you go out , this or even less can be the results especially if your a little green at doing this type of detecting and just to let everyone know that doesn't know HEAVYMETALNUT , he knows his detector very well.

don't get discouraged buddy , just get back out there .

Dan

thanks dan.
yeah that's kinda why i posted it.to show everyone it's not raining large coppers in the woods.
plus i wanted to show off my knob! funny shaped huh?you dug any with this oddball shape?
:grin:

leslie(nova scotia)
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....glad you got out and love the new nickname..... Nob King! rofl

John M
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
That is why we call it relic hunting and not relic finding.The lantern top is in good shape and hey you just have to take what the site has to offer.Maybe after Winter that site will pay off when you can actually work the area.

Any day cellar hunting is a good day though.

coinnut
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Go easy on me crying01

Don't worry Tim, Dave is all knobs (I mean bark) lol

thanks dan.
yeah that's kinda why i posted it.to show everyone it's not raining large coppers in the woods.
plus i wanted to show off my knob! funny shaped huh?you dug any with this oddball shape?
:grin:

Yep Dave, sometimes no matter how hard you try it just ain't gonna show up. Some hard fought for relics. I usually just take it as a good time out and regroup for another day. Love the lantern dial... they usually have a pattent date on them. Gives you an idea about the site. Sometimes we gotta search for them small coppers (Indians) cause of the date on that piece. Glad you got out. :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't worry Tim, Dave is all knobs (I mean bark) lol

Yep Dave, sometimes no matter how hard you try it just ain't gonna show up. Some hard fought for relics. I usually just take it as a good time out and regroup for another day. Love the lantern dial... they usually have a pattent date on them. Gives you an idea about the site. Sometimes we gotta search for them small coppers (Indians) cause of the date on that piece. Glad you got out. :yes:

yeah the pat date is 1864.i'm sure in the spring these sites will fork over more finds.i think with the depth of the snow.some coin signals are just out of range.so much area and so llittle time :twirlingeyes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2010, 05:51 PM
That is why we call it relic hunting and not relic finding.The lantern top is in good shape and hey you just have to take what the site has to offer.Maybe after Winter that site will pay off when you can actually work the area.

Any day cellar hunting is a good day though.

my thoughts exactly john thumbsup01

coinnut
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
yeah the pat date is 1864.i'm sure in the spring these sites will fork over more finds.i think with the depth of the snow.some coin signals are just out of range.so much area and so llittle time :twirlingeyes:

If you have enough snow, you may not get the small cents which are in the 4-5 range. Add a couple of inches of snow and they, along with the flat buttons, are out of range. Hope some snow melts for you. Plus snow gets on my coil and man can you feel the weight difference lol What did sniffy get??

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-06-2010, 01:31 AM
If you have enough snow, you may not get the small cents which are in the 4-5 range. Add a couple of inches of snow and they, along with the flat buttons, are out of range. Hope some snow melts for you. Plus snow gets on my coil and man can you feel the weight difference lol What did sniffy get??

yeah the extra weight sux and he got 2 small flatty buttons

del
02-06-2010, 04:05 AM
yeah the extra weight sux and he got 2 small flatty buttons

hmmm two small flatty buttons , with a machine more sensitive to those kind of targets :huh: :huh: :huh: DFX :confused: :confused: :huh: coincidence , i think not. :tongue: :poke: :kiss: lol lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
hmmm two small flatty buttons , with a machine more sensitive to those kind of targets :huh: :huh: :huh: DFX :confused: :confused: :huh: coincidence , i think not. :tongue: :poke: :kiss: lol lol

ummm:huh: no,my coild just didn't pass over em :tongue: :bop:

tanacat
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
never dug a whole lantern wick portion yet.usually just pieces.has a patent date of 1864 on it

Love your lantern top :smitten: I was happy to find this one (the Comet by Holmes, Booth & Haydens patented 1868)at an old hotel built 1840.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/Metal%20Detecting/101_5016.jpg

ProPointer
02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Interesting finds Dave!