PDA

View Full Version : Old park revisited

bob_e99
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I went back to that old park where I have been having some really good luck. I wanted to try Randy's advice about gridding it. It started off pretty good and hard to believe but I hadn't detected for more than a minute before I found my first target and it was a mercury dime. I figured that it was a pretty good omen but reality set in quickly. It took another 90 minutes before I found my second mercury and then another two hours before I found my third. I may have lost a fourth :dontknow: as I had the signal, dug the hole and for the life of me couldn't find the target. Having gone through this a few times, I widened the hole and deepened it but still no target. The e-trac no longer gave me a signal and the pinpointer couldn't find anything. Reluctantly, I filled in the hole and just kept going. The final count was 6 quarters, 23 dimes including the 3 mercs, 1 nickel and 39 pennies including 2 wheats. The gridding started off pretty good but I soon got confused as to where I had detected. I need to learn more about doing that correctly.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

randy
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Congrats on all that silver! Gridding proves gridding works, IMHO anyway. As for the lost target, the E-Trac rarely loses good ones in my experience. Scan around and make sure it didn't fly out of the hole. Sometimes, tho, if its on the edge of its range, it will lose it when the dirt comes out (the dirt is conductive of the signal), so put the dirt back in and see if you can hear it again. This happened to me today.

In any case, sounds like you need some more time at that site.

z118
11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Man, those mercs are coming out in pristine shape from that site. Your first triple silver day is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty soon you will be posting hunts resulting in handfuls of silver like Angel's or Randy's or some other folks on here and then I won't talk to you any more. lol

Congrats!

milco
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Way to work the grid and score the oldies, very nice!

aloldstuff
11-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Bob, huge congrats on 3 mercs. Nce pile of clad also, gridding really does work

Fire Fighter 43
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
WTG on the finds. Gridding at a slow pace always seems to pull out a few goodies.

bob_e99
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
WTG on the finds. Gridding at a slow pace always seems to pull out a few goodies.

Yes, but I have to fight the tendency to speed up. There's so much space and so little time. :)

Epi-hunter
11-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow, I can't keep up with you Bob! Congrats on your success. I love seeing your finds! :perfect10: