PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors............where are the makers going?

leslie(nova scotia)
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....just going over a few sites of dealers and such and got to thinking since the ground is frozen and we are butt deep in snow wit hcabin fever at an all time high. Ads stating deeper depth! Lord love a duck this has been a common cry since I got in the hobby over 30 years ago and if only a half inch per year deeper was achived I think we all would need a backhoe instead of a lesche tool or shovel.

So where are manufactures of these wonderful' machines going to go next? Could it be the way of cars with more km between fill ups or all the techno stuff with personnal communications? Deep thought. Point being is.......is high tech going to take the joy out of the hobby.

Don't know about you bouys but the hunt and digging buds are everything and the finds but a meer by product. Think that knowing what each and every target is before you dig it would take away some of the allure of this great hobby.

To this day I still feel like a child on a grand adventure each and every time I grab the detector and head out. Once that feeling leaves............the little boy is gone!

coinnut
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey Leslie, how true about the depth claims, I think we should be down about 3 feet for a dime by now lol I think detectors will eventually let you see inside the ground, so masking will not be as much of an issue then. But for the near future, I think it will be better graphics, lighter weight designs, better separation, longer battery life, etc. But deeper?? Probably not much in that catagory, at least not by a lot. I'm pretty happy with the E Trac, but a Vulcan mind meld with the V3 would be a very welcomed sight rofl

Dug D
02-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I think they will follow sales, if the whites V-3 sells well at 1500 you will see more color graphs and so on; and 1500+

Sad part is when a new machine comes out, reviews seem to be at both ends of the range some guys work hard at the machine and have great results others can't figure it out.

But that is how it is with all machines, new and old, the more you work the more you find. I think.

coinnut
02-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Sad part is when a new machine comes out, reviews seem to be at both ends of the range some guys work hard at the machine and have great results others can't figure it out.

But that is how it is with all machines, new and old, the more you work the more you find. I think.

Absolutely true :yes: Time put in = more relics recovered = a very happy camper lol

John M
02-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The more bells and whistles the more dollars spent.Now if they can come up with an x-ray coil that would be the cats pajamas.
For now I'm sticking with my xlt.

del
02-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Absolutely true :yes: Time put in = more relics recovered = a very happy camper lol

hey you stink at math :confused: :confused: it should be = a very happy detectorist lol lol

RickO
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Technology will advance, that is a fact. People will buy it, since the lure of treasure is a human trait. In ten or twenty years we will likely be able to afford ground penetrating radar units that will give a picture of what is down there. RickO

miller6670
02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
I will admit I am a techno geek :yes: and love the latest and greatest technology, but truth be told I had depth capabilities that rivals that of the newer detectors with my old Whites 6000. I didn't have the discriminating capabilities of todays detectors, but it performed pretty well. Oh well, like my father use to say the best discriminator is a shovel... lol.

Jason in Enid
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
HAve to disagree about the 6000. I had one before I got the E-Trac. After a few weeks I sold my 6000pro. IT could never make the finds the E-Trac does. I never got the E-Trac's depth from the 6000 either.

miller6670
02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
HAve to disagree about the 6000. I had one before I got the E-Trac. After a few weeks I sold my 6000pro. IT could never make the finds the E-Trac does. I never got the E-Trac's depth from the 6000 either.

I used a 6000/D not the pro, which really shoud not matter, but I was finding merc dimes at 6-8 inches. I am sure, and hoping, that my E-trac will exceed that. My point was that no matter the machine, with certain signals, the best discriminator is a shovel. I started using the 6000 when I was 13 and used it until I was 20 or so. I'm 40 now and can assure you I'm not going back to the 6000 any time soon... lol

coinnut
02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh well, like my father use to say the best discriminator is a shovel... lol.

And youth lol lol If I had to dig every reading today, I'd be done after one outing :rolleyes: Now if I was 20 years younger, then I'd dig it all. Come to think of it, that's what I was doing all through the 70's and 80's lol. I dug everything, except them doulble readings on nails thumbsup01

miller6670
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
And youth lol lol If I had to dig every reading today, I'd be done after one outing :rolleyes: Now if I was 20 years younger, then I'd dig it all. Come to think of it, that's what I was doing all through the 70's and 80's lol. I dug everything, except them doulble readings on nails thumbsup01

lol lol I love it...The double signal is a classic, but right on every time...Just a nail lol. I with you, there is no way I could dig all the signals now. :yes:

CyberSage
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
... but a Vulcan mind meld with the V3 would be a very welcomed sight rofl

http://www.footballlocks.com/NFLPowerRankings_files/spock_fascinating.jpg

New technology in metal detecting should be embraced. Our nemesis is not improvements in the equipment, but rather our growing reliance on it for deciding what to dig. 8)