PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks

kybob
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Hello from Winchester Ky.
Tanacat told me about this forum. My wife Rosie and I have known Tanacat for years and have been very interested in hearing her talk about her metal detecting hobby.
I have some archeology, history, and geology experience from college. I have done some rockhounding and some living history study of the colonial era on my own.
I just retired on October 28. Imagine my surprise when my lovely wife presented me with my first metal detector, a White's Coinmaster Pro. Apparently she had been listening all of those times over the years when I would muse that I would like to, someday, try my hand at metal detecting. She also had been talking to Tanacat to find out where to go to find one for me. I'm excited.
I was even more excited when Tanacat emailed me with an invitation to go metal detecting. We're meeting Tanacat tomorrow for our first metal detecting excursion.
I love forums as a way to learn and I usually just lurk to learn. I registered so I would be able to ask questions as they come up. I don't know how much I have to offer, being brand new, but you can be assured I will be avidly reading the posts and I am grateful to see so much MD expertise in one place.

Fire Fighter 43
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your retirement. It is nice to see someone with an archeology background interested in this great hobby. I do need to warn you about something, you will become addicted so prepare yourself , LOL. I wish you luck on your hunt with Tanacat I'm sure she will get you started in the right direction. Im also looking forward to your first finds post.

aloldstuff
11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Kybob, welcome from western MA. Tanacat will surely show you the ropes and as stated earlier you now have the ability to become addicted. Big congrats on your retirement, which now leaves alot of time for detecting. Looking forward to your posts.

kybob
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Aloldstuff,
Yes I now have the time to do alot more of the fun stuff. I find that in conversation I keep referring to my retirement as my graduation. Hah! Go figure. Perhaps some truth in that, get to start and try new things.

kybob
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks Firefighter, for the welcome, congrats and the warning. My first finds will probably be bottlecaps and pull tabs but it will be fun.

396nova
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I think you have a very good instructor with Tanacat, and she will get you to a good hunting area. thumbsup01 Looking forward to your finds. :clapping:

tanacat
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Yay! Welcome to American Detectorist Bob! I knew you'd fit right in :) Maybe tomorrow you'll be posting something here- something great you found. The old park where we're meeting has been frequented since at least the early 1900's.

Maybe you will find a gold coin for beginners luck :clapping: :shocked04:stretcher: lol My beginner's luck was an 1833 Large Cent :yes:

Epi-hunter
11-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi kybob!

Great to see you here. Tana will lead you to some great finds, I have no doubt :cheering:

We look forward to seeing all of your finds. You will get addicted to this hobby!

I am from the Lexington area as of the last 4 years, but originally from Iowa.

Post your finds!

Angie

kybob
11-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Thank You for all of the welcomes! It is nice to encounter such a welcoming bunch. Soon I hope to be able to figure out what all of the seemingly random beeps and noises from my detector mean. |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
11-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on your retirement |:cheering:
Tanacat has a knack for finding great sites...enjoy!

del
11-10-2011, 09:49 PM
hello KyBob and welcome to the forum :yes: detecting is a great hobby but can be very addicting , i wish you all the best at it .

Congratulations on your retirement |:cheering:

yes KyBob congrats on retiring :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Dan

kybob
11-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks Charlives and Del. Retirement is great. My wife and I haven't had so much fun and laughed so much together in years. And oh yes, as far as this newby can tell, Tanacat sure knows her metal detecting stuff.

Ill Digger
11-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Kybob :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from the corn fields of Illinois :grin:

Soon I hope to be able to figure out what all of the seemingly random beeps and noises from my detector mean. |:cheering:
Those mean dig! :yes: lol

tanacat
11-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I enjoyed our hunt on Thursday!

Getting ready to post pics of your great finds Bob :) It will be in the Coinshooting section.

Ytcoinshooter
11-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey kybob, in this pastime, hobby, sport you will find this is the proverbial box of chocolates. My dad was a history teacher and I've always had a passion for connecting to the past. Obviously with your academic training you have that too.
Good luck and post some pics of your digs!

jkress
11-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard kybob. :clapping: Glad you decided to join our group.
Lots of great info, finds and people here. :yes:
I'm looking forward to your posts.

CODY
11-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Welcome kybob from the deep south. Glad to have you on board and congrats on the retirement.

Jeff (or)
11-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forums and metal detecting! It's a great hobby!!! :cool: