PDA

View Full Version : Last beach trip of the year, time for dirt hunting

cdv
11-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Had a whirlwind 3 day trip to Virginia this past weekend. Relearned alot about the beach and my detector. Had some problems that I think will need fixed by Tesoro, it appears that I have a lose connection somewhere and every once in a while the detector gets real chatty and won't respond to my scoop... I lost a good bit of time trying to sort things out and then bumped a wire and it started working again. I was frustrated but once I found that out, I could get back to hunting.

No doubt the beach hasn't been used much lately and it seemed to be well sanded in so other than light things (pennies and bobbie pins), there wasn't much to be found until the last day when I got lots of junk jewelry and an Ethiopian coin in an area that had lots of rocks showing. There were a few silver hoop earrings and I did see gold, found 20 yards away from me.... bummer, I was in the wet sand and it was found in the dry sand.

Also, got to see what happens when you are out in a small boat and get to close to shore... boat got beached at 4 pm Monday and sat on shore getting pounded by the waves swamping it by morning. City had to lift it up onto the trailer for the owner to get it off the beach.

Time now to concentrate on hunting the dirt unless I go up to Erie to see what the storms expose for me....

del
11-11-2011, 02:55 PM
sorry to hear about your tesoro , but the good news is the tesoro's have a lifetime warranty . its to bad your last beach hunt was less than you expected but i bet just getting out on the sand was still nice and i hope your dirt hunting will be much better. very cool and unusual coin to find |:cheering:

SeabeeRon
11-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Very interesting coin!! |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
11-17-2011, 11:39 PM
That is a cool coin . thumbsup01 I really like your avatar photo , it puts you right there .Too much sand on the beaches around here also . Good luck on your trips hunting the dirt . |:cheering:

:groovy:

Ill Digger
11-18-2011, 01:21 AM
A little silver is better than no silver thumbsup01
And I dig the coin too! :yes: Thats pretty cool :cool:
I've never seen one of those before :dontknow:
I don't see a date :huh: ( maybe I'm blind lol ) Is there a date on it? :confused: lol
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

cdv
11-18-2011, 03:42 AM
A little silver is better than no silver thumbsup01
And I dig the coin too! :yes: Thats pretty cool :cool:
I've never seen one of those before :dontknow:
I don't see a date :huh: ( maybe I'm blind lol ) Is there a date on it? :confused: lol
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

It is dated in Ethiopian numbers but they also use a unique system for dating which I've been told does not really tell you the date the coin was made.

Cliff

Shipwreck
11-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Cool Coin thumbsup01