PDA

View Full Version : out with Coinnut

del
02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
well another tale of colonial cellar hunting with your host's Coinnut and Del , in this weeks episode &quot:grin:el almosts looses an eye :rolleyes: lol lol right before we get to the site a small branch smacked me eyeball so hard i felt it bounce off the back of my skull :shocked04:stretcher: lol lol .boy o boy it still smarts :ticked: :mad: well good thing God gave me two because i persevered and had a pretty good day . targets were few and far between but the ones i was hitting were good ones . George i still would like to detect this area without the white stuff all around on a hunch i traveled to a spot and was rewarded with a copper (but a very very worn out counterfiet King George ) but i'll take it any day. awhile later a couple of buttons popped up followed by a sash buckle ( upper left corner) the shoe buckle innerds (right side)( just the chape and tongue ) then my best find of the day another New York Militia button 1805-1835 but i knew this one was in better shape just because of the area it was found in and let me tell you the picture doesn't do it justice , it looks great. and lastly was a trio of huge tombac buttons all in the same hole .

randy
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, that's a nice collection, and that button is in great shape thumbsup01

sniffy
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I have dreams about buttons like this!

KirkPA
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Dan,

After I just got dumped with 20 of snow, I needed a copper fix and you didn't disappoint. thumbsup01 It sure is nice to see some Northeast detectorists hitting the foundations. That site sure is killer! I love the tombac buttons and the shoe buckle relic isn't that bad either. thumbsup01

Congrats on the Colonial copper as well. We won't be getting out for another 20 weeks now. rofl :mad: :bangahead01:

I am living through you.

Keep the passion high! :cheesysmile:

Kirk

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
wow! nice finds Dan! another beauty of a button! :drool: amazing man!
a great day out. sorry to hear about your eye ouch ;)

coinnut
02-06-2010, 05:32 PM
WOW!! Sweet button. Lucky I didn't find it or I might get accused of copying someone lol ;) Nice plating left on it. That's gotta be a couple of bucks :grin: You had a good day out. :yes: No details on that copper? Good all around hunt. Me.... I dug a lot more junk today, I think it was that new layer of snow. Last time out that iron did not ring out that good. Maybe I was just desperate and was trying to make good signals from junk lol But I got a couple of keepers, 1 Tombac, a 1911 dog tag, 2 nicer than pictured Indians 1891 (XF) 1884 (XF+), a two piece iron backed button with a bone/ivory/plastic cross ? I think Ivory since it's pretty old. Just odds and ends today but it was a pretty nice day. Not too cold.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
all around a nice hunt guys! cool lookin cross button G any possiblity it's made of some sort of quartz or shell material? pretty neat regardless. look forward to next weeks outing and thank the lord we didn't get the snow the lower states did :shocked04:

coinnut
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
all around a nice hunt guys! cool lookin cross button G any possiblity it's made of some sort of quartz or shell material? pretty neat regardless. look forward to next weeks outing and thank the lord we didn't get the snow the lower states did :shocked04:

I thought mother of pearl at first but it looks very smooth and white, just like ivory, or if it was new, plastic. Probably not quartz, doesn't look like any quartz we used to sell and it's shape would make it unlikely to be quartz. Kinda like whale bone or Ivory. Ya gotta feel bad for those who got dumped on. Can't imagine 1-2 feet of snow. If that happened here, I'd need meds, cause I gotta detect lol :crying02: :confused:

angellionel
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Wow! Look at all that snow! :shocked04:stretcher: Did you guys wear snowshoes? lol Very nice hunt! Those are some sweet keepers. thumbsup01

del
02-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow, that's a nice collection, and that button is in great shape thumbsup01

thanks Randy , it is the best button of that era i have found yet.

I have dreams about buttons like this!

hey sniffy the DFX loves to hit hard on these type too.

Dan,

After I just got dumped with 20 of snow, I needed a copper fix and you didn't disappoint. thumbsup01 It sure is nice to see some Northeast detectorists hitting the foundations. That site sure is killer! I love the tombac buttons and the shoe buckle relic isn't that bad either. thumbsup01

Congrats on the Colonial copper as well. We won't be getting out for another 20 weeks now. rofl :mad: :bangahead01:

I am living through you.

Keep the passion high! :cheesysmile:

Kirk

thanks Kirk, sorry about the dreaded white stuff . i'll do my best to keep you guys entertained with coppas and decent relics until you thaw out some ,
i only wish the copper had some detail to show off

wow! nice finds Dan! another beauty of a button! :drool: amazing man!
a great day out. sorry to hear about your eye ouch ;)

thank you Dave , i can honestly say the finds were alot better than just a poke in the eye lol lol ;)

i think i'll invest in some clear safety glasses soon . lol lol

Wow! Look at all that snow! :shocked04:stretcher: Did you guys wear snowshoes? lol Very nice hunt! Those are some sweet keepers. thumbsup01

it wasn't bad at all (sorry to all that just got clobbered :embarrassed: its under 2 inches :yes:

John M
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
That site still is giving up the goods,then again it is a pretty big one.Dan did the militia button come from the second hole?That makes four military buttons from them sites and guess they come in pairs.I have never been to a place that has given up that many.....It's kinda like them southern civil war sites.Again great looking relics guys.

del
02-06-2010, 07:39 PM
That site still is giving up the goods,then again it is a pretty big one.Dan did the militia button come from the second hole?That makes four military buttons from them sites and guess they come in pairs.I have never been to a place that has given up that many.....It's kinda like them southern civil war sites.Again great looking relics guys.

hey John sorry you didn't make it out with us , we were hoping you'd show up today. this button was up at the first sight about 250 yards from where the last one was . bazaar huh.

John M
02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Dan,that is the situation I had with the two Ct's I dug.The better looking one was from the upper hole as well.Just a dumb thought but maybe the neighbors swapped buttons........but what are the chances the both lost them?We will have to meet up again soon.

xzlr8n
02-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice button :yes:, Those IH's are great looking too, always fun pulling them out of the hole I mean SNOW rofl.

coinnut
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice button :yes:, Those IH's are great looking to, always fun pulling them out of the hole I mean SNOW rofl.

Ya, that snow hunting is real fun lol :confused: :confused:. I've been lucky so far this year. I've found 3 Indians and all of them are at least XF. Last year, I had some real slugs :rolleyes:

tanacat
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I came close to snow hunting today- we got about 4... Nice finds! I'm living through you. And I'm curious about that cross, if it's ivory. Did you tap it on your tooth?

coinnut
02-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I came close to snow hunting today- we got about 4... Nice finds! I'm living through you. And I'm curious about that cross, if it's ivory. Did you tap it on your tooth?

That snow is a bummer :( I'm just getting some now. It seemed like we were gonna be spared any accumulation, but now I think we may get 2-4. I almost had renewed hopes of detecting this Saturday lol. I didn't do the tooth test yet on that button, but it just seems too nice to be Ivory or bone. Don't believe it would survive that nice 100+ years in the ground :confused: Del and I were talking about it and it may be some sort of shell, which in the right soil conditions, may survive almost unblemished.

Epi-hunter
02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I missed this thread before. :) Great finds! I can't wait to get out there with you guys and learn about cellar hole hunting :yes:

It sounds like you are going to make it out tomorrow, despite the cold and snow. I don't know how you do it :shocked04:

coinnut
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
It sounds like you are going to make it out tomorrow, despite the cold and snow. I don't know how you do it :shocked04:

It's easy... we're just :crazy: ........ :yes:

del
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I missed this thread before. :) Great finds! I can't wait to get out there with you guys and learn about cellar hole hunting :yes:

its the lack of copper in our diet Angie , we just can't seem to get enough :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: