PDA

View Full Version : Back to Wisconsin with Fire Fighter 43= Semi-Key Barber Half

Ill Digger
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey everyone! :groovy:
Well we did it again. :rolleyes:
We managed to pick the worst possible day of the week ,weather wise >:\ :frozen: , to meet up for another hunt in Wisconsin. lol
How ever this trip we went to the private camp my family operates. Jeff had actually found out some history on the property that even I didn't know about. It turns out there was once a baseball diamond on the property. :confused: While I was hunting were the 3rd baseline would've been I got a deep broken quarter/ half dollar reading on the E-Trac! :shocked04: :drool: I had Jeff come over and film my live dig. Some how I mispinpointed it! :dontknow: At one point I about gave up on it and started to back fill the whole. The hole was the full length of the Leashe deep :shocked04: lol So I trimmed up the edges of the hole and the Pro pointer picked up something in the bank. :confused: So I plunged the blade in the bank and knocked in a big chunk of dirt. As the clod of dirt fell into the hole I seen a flash of silver! :shocked04:stretcher: :confused: I reached in the hole and pulled out my very first Barber half! :drool: :smitten:
It's a 1897 :yes:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1178.jpg

It even has a New Orleans mint mark!! <:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1179.jpg

This is it goin' down as it happened...
Metal Detecting Wisconsin with the Minelab Etrac Season 2 E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i6DIwbAd5E&feature=channel_video_title#ws )

And the rest of my day...
Back to Wisconsin with Fire Fighter 43= Semi-Key Barber Half (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZS-5oj9PEg&feature=channel_video_title#)

It was so muddy and wet I didn't do a whole lot of filming and photographing. But I did snap a picture of one of the Mercs as it landed on the ground :daydream:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1171.jpg

In total I came home with 4 silvers! thumbsup01 The 1897 Barber half, 2 Mercury dimes, both 1941s, and a 1964 Rosie thumbsup01
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1176.jpg

The flip sides lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_1177.jpg

Thanks for lookin' & HH everyone! :grin:

skribnod
11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Very, very nice find tim. Great job on the silver's. :perfect10: I bet it made the trip worth the effort and the weather bearable.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Awesome going , beautiful coins all . Great photos too . :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
|:cheering:Absolutly great, your 1st Barber Half. congrats on all your finds for the day. I know you will remember digging that one. :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Congrats Timmay!! When I got your message about finding a big silver, I kept looking for the post but then noticed you added the Barber 1/2 to your signature block. As fast as they wore down, I'll bet that one was dropped in 1898 or 99. Did this hunt put you over 100 for the year? If not, I'll bet sometime this weekend will be the magic moment. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

CODY
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
:wow: HOLY COW! That is some good lookin silver! :perfect10: The half is beautiful! :peace: I love all the Barber coins. I have found only two Barber dimes. To find a Barber half.......that would be awesome. Congrats! Fine job. thumbsup01 WTG & HH

Tony Two-Cent
11-11-2011, 08:20 PM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

WOW! That Barber Half is incredible, Tim! I'm happy for you, man! That is one great find! You're really having some success lately! What a beauty, I can't stop looking at it. And best of all, you didn't scratch it! thumbsup01

Spectacular find! :perfect10:

dave in iowa
11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
great hunt . good luck next time out thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats again on a fantastic find and hunt. Despite the weather I had a great time and it is always a pleasure hunting with you.

jkress
11-11-2011, 11:33 PM
<: Barber half! :perfect10:
Love those coins. She was hiding deep. Great to hear you and Jeff had a silver day.
Definitely makes the wind, snow, slush and mud worth it.
Well done sir.

jkress
11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
... just watched FF43's video. :shocked04: That was some crazy depth on the half. After the second scoop of dirt out, and no response from the PP, my hopes for silver would have been cut down by 90%. Great job going after it. :clapping:

Ill Digger
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Very, very nice find tim. Great job on the silver's. :perfect10: I bet it made the trip worth the effort and the weather bearable.
Oh yeah! :yes: The trip was defiantly worth it! <:

Awesome going , beautiful coins all . Great photos too . :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:
Thanks Sheik |:confused:)

I know you will remember digging that one. :perfect10:
:yes: thumbsup01 I can still see it falling out of the bank! :daydream: :smitten:

Congrats Timmay!! When I got your message about finding a big silver, I kept looking for the post but then noticed you added the Barber 1/2 to your signature block. As fast as they wore down, I'll bet that one was dropped in 1898 or 99.
Thanks Dave! |:confused:) It was late when I got back home so I didn't get the post up till the next day. She did hold up quite nicely thumbsup01

I love all the Barber coins. I have found only two Barber dimes. To find a Barber half.......that would be awesome.
It'll happen :yes: It'll happen when your least expecting it too :yes: lol

And best of all, you didn't scratch it! thumbsup01
lol No kiddin' !
That would've made me sick! :barf: >:/ >:# >{

great hunt . good luck next time out thumbsup01
Thanks Dave! You too thumbsup01

Despite the weather I had a great time ....
If we ever hook up for a hunt on a nice warm sunny day....it'll probably be a dud of a hunt. :rolleyes: rofl

... just watched FF43's video. :shocked04: That was some crazy depth on the half. After the second scoop of dirt out, and no response from the PP, my hopes for silver would have been cut down by 90%. Great job going after it. :clapping:
I don't know if you can tell from Jeffs videobut when I took out the second layer of dirt and didn't hear the PPer going off I was starting to lose hope pretty quick crying01...but that all changed pretty quike when I seen the flash of silver falling down in the hole! :drool:

Thanks for all the great comments and responses folks! |:confused:)

hockeyguy
11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice tickets Ill Dig...nice to see that dig video...I see we do things exaclty the same except I may have given up on that on when the nail came out. ....naw, i would have done just what you did and rand the coil over it again even though you couldn't hear it with the pinpointer...

Great job freezin' ur butts off!

milco
11-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Excellent find there Tim! What a sweet big old silver coin! Congrats to you!

MinelabIowa
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Loved the video! You are finding a great selection of coins. Keep up the great hunts! Congrats!!

Mudder
11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Digger, you have out done yourself with the Barber. Beautiful coin! :groovy: :clapping: :clapping:

silver star
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Great job on the Barber Half :perfect10:. Good luck on your next hunt bud. HH Mike

del
11-17-2011, 03:42 AM
:drool: :loveit: :smitten: great Barber half Tim |:confused:) |:confused:)

bob_e99
11-17-2011, 08:18 AM
:shocked03: :shocked03:

That Barber is most beautiful to be sure. Awesome, awesome find! Big congrats and well deserved especially in those conditions :frozen:

:clapping: :cheering: :clapping: :cheering: :clapping:

:perfect10:

angellionel
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Awesome Barber half Tim! :loveit: I'm guessing that you are still shaking a bit. lol Really sweet find. :clapping: