PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!

CODY
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
OK friends, help me here! I am fixing to buy a new detector. For sure, no way around it, its gonna happen. I am still conflicted. Its either gonna be an e-trac or a Fisher F75. I now use my first machine the F4. I like the simpicity of the Fisher. But, when your talking about this much money, I also want the best. I know most of you use the e-trac so I kinda figure what you will say and that will be good enough for me. My biggest concern with the e-trac is going to be the learning curve. I know a little about operating a computer, but I am by no means an expert. Am I going to be able to take this machine right out of the box and within a day or so start hunting and finding coins? I realize I will get better as time goes by, but I don't want to buy a machine that I will lose interst in before I am able to learn to use it, if that makes sinse to you. Also, the rechargable battery that comes with it. Do most of you have an extra battery, does it need to be upgraded? If anyone has a comment on the Fisher, Please do so. Thanks for any help in advance. Cody

Dimeman
11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
If there is anyone in your area that has whatever detector you are wanting to buy--most guys ( and girls) out hunting will be glad to show off their machine--even let you try it for awhile.
That is what I would suggest---that way you get a feel of the thing before you buy and decide it is too heavy, it isn't what I thought it would be--- etc., etc.

Tony Two-Cent
11-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Am I going to be able to take this machine right out of the box and within a day or so start hunting and finding coins?

Absolutely! If you are already an experienced detectorist then you should have no problem at all finding coins with an E-Trac on your first hunt. There are a lot of settings on the E-Trac that can be adjusted to individual taste and hunting style, but the machine also works great right out of the box! Just turn it on and hunt in the factory Coins mode, that's what I did.

Every E-Trac comes with two battery packs, the rechargeable one and another one that takes eight AA batteries. I always make sure to take both along, that way if one goes dead I can switch to the other.

This isn't a great quality photo, but here's what I found with my new E-Trac on the first weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, several coins including an Indian Head and a Rosie:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/loot.jpg

CODY
11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
How many hours can you get from the rechargable pac?

CyberSage
11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Cody,
I would not hesitate to go all in on the E-Trac. The The E-Trac can be set to use 4 tones just like your F4. With the automatic noise cancel, and automatic sensitivity settings all you have to do is turn it on and start swinging. You don't even have to worry about ground balancing. You can refine the settings as you get used to your new E-Trac. I just purchased mine this week. The good folks here in the forum will answer all your questions. This alone has helped me out more than anything else.

Jack

RaZR
11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I would have no problem pushing the E-trac on you. ;)
I got mine only a few months ago and i know it is the reason i'm now finding alot of really great coins and jewelry. It's easy to run and the settings aren't difficult.
I love mine and i'm sure you will love one too.
I hunted for 5 hours today and the battery was still showing half charged when i quit. (after digging a seated dime up) My third from the park i'm detecting now.

Try it, you'll like it

396nova
11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Your year to date find is impressive. thumbsup01 They say it is the indian, not the bow and arrow that hit the target. That being said, I think you could find good stuff with what ever detector you used, you understand detecting. I have a Teknetics T2 SE (similar to the F75), and an Explorer SE (similar to the E-Trac). IMHO I think both machines are pretty much equal. I know others will be more supportive of a certain brand. Each detector can tell you the same thing, in a slightly different way, you just have to be able to hear it. I have not achieved the results you have, but I keep learning more each hunt. I still don`t quite understand yet what my detectors are telling me. One day I will. Sometimes if we like the feel and sounds of a particular machine, it helps our state of mind, and that will help our success. I predict you will make great finds no matter which model you decide to buy. :clapping: Both models work great right out of the box. :perfect10:

tmanly
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Cody, there is a lot to consider before I could recommend a unit. What do you hunt most of the time? coins
relics... etc
Coins, Hands down the Etrac is the King. You can hunt with the stock settings right out of the box and find coins and good targets. Signals will take some time to learn to eliminate junk targets but once you get it you eliminate just about all junk. As far as using the computer with the Etrac, I used it once and have never connected it to my computer again. you have to use the Etrac to make patterns and settings, then you can save them to the computer for loading back into the Etrac. You can also download these from other users and put them on you Etrac. The Stock battery is ok but I would purchase the 1800 ma battery as it last a lot longer and then you will have a backup battery just in case. You just need to remember to keep them both charged.

The F75 is one of the best machines for relic hunting. It does have some EMI issues when around power lines and may cost you some depth. The F75 SE is, in my opinion the best relic unit made. If you are ues to the F4, then you have a leg up on the F75 as far as a learning curve.

Either unit will make you happy. The Etrac is heavier than the F75, if that is an issue for you. The F75 does not like EMI, the Etrac will null out the threshold when swinging over items that have been discriminated out. The F75 can be used at a fast swing and the Etrac needs to be slow and easy.

good luck
Tom in SC

Dinger51
11-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Coming from an MXT and an F4, you will be fine. It will take you a little time to get used to the threshold hum and hearing most targets you go over. I know the F4 has an all metal mode with threshold, but it is of no value when in multi-tone hunting. Good Luck!!

RobW
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I am far from a techno boy, my wife does all the electroncis in our house. When I can't get the TV to work because of all the stuff SHE has plugged in, I call her over for help. BUT I find the e-trac simple to use, YES there is a big learning curve...it's like being married, do you really ever truley understand everything they are saying to you? Some understand better than others.

I get 2 good hunts out of a full charge, I do have a spare just in case, though rarely need to resort to in, unless I'm just lazy and didn't charge before the weekend, or I hunrted during the week.

Best thing is to test over known targets before going out into the field to hear and see how they respond.