PDA

View Full Version : After Action Review: My very first MD experience

kybob
11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Yesterday Rosie, my DSW, and I met Tanacat at an old local park for my first detecting experience ever, using my new White's Coinmaster Pro.
It was cloudy, a bit windy and chilly with high's for the day about 50. We had a little rain the day before and the ground was soft but not muddy.
We had appropriate clothing with gloves and we brought a couple of good quality Lowe's garden trowls, knee pads, nail aprons, and pieces of feed sack to put dug up soil on. Tana lent us her old White's pin pointer. I was sure that we wouldn't need it as the Coinmaster had a pinpoint function but she assured us that we would need it. She used her Garret.
She showed us a bit about how to operate out detector and we started out. I got a beep right away and enthusiastically dug up...a piece of wire fencing. Cool, I thought, you really can see stuff under the ground. Then we were off on the hunt and found numerous pull tabs and bottle caps, not treasure but good lessons in how to use the machine.
Tana started moving around scoring coins left and right. Rosie and I got a good signal and dug up A SILVER RING! A simple wrap around sterling ring in the design of two fishes. We were excited.
That fueled the fire for the next couple of hours as we hunted and hunted. Basically those hours consisted of ridding the world of pull tabs and bottle caps one beep at a time. I was desperate to get a coin as Tana was scarfing them up left and right. I tried to use the opportunity to learn to use the descrimination and the sensitivity controls. I was getting confusing ghost beeps and multiple targets in clusters and they would turn up to be pull tabs. Tana helped and came over to validate my signals and check them with her machine so I could learn to understand what I was seeing and how to not spend all of my time trying to dig to China in order to find bottle caps.
The day wore on and I was a little crestfallen and anxious to find at least one coin. Finally after a lot of pull tabs and bottle caps and even a small dead snake I found A QUARTER! Just a 1970 clad coin, all red, but I had finally found a coin. I didn't even mind it when Tana soon found a quarter and a penny in a hole that I had struggled and struggled in with a bunch of confusing signals and digging and no luck. I had to laugh. And I had a very good time. I was quite satisfied with my small treasures and very thankful for Tanacat's guidance. I learned a lot.
Leassons Learned:
1--pin point detectors are a must. I had not even known that they existed. I like the Garret that Tanacat uses.
2--gloves are great, not only for cold but if you are digging where you might find sharp metal or glass like we did.
3--Our trowels worked good but I really liked Tanacats Wilcox. I went and bought one today.
4--I didn't think that I would bother using my knee pads but they were very good to have especially with damp ground.
5--The nailing aprons worked fine and I liked Tana's suggestion of using one pocket for junk and one for treasure but I might try a shoulder bag which may suit me better with my over-ample belly. I used a book bag in school and a haversack in living history and like them.
6--I need to pay attention to thinking in 3 dimensions and to remember to note the depth of the signal.
7--I need to practise alot to develop the finesse to properly utilize the discrimination features and the strength of signal. I liked the metaphor that Tana used in explaining that sometimes too strong of a signal is like using bright headlights in fog with too much reflection and not enough clarity.
8--I'm pretty happy with my Coinmaster Pro. It doesn't give the nuance and specificity that the higher end models have and it requires some interpretation of what the simplified brackets and icons are showing but it is sensing the materials and it is telling me about it. It is up to me to learn how to talk its language. It is just right for me at this stage of the game and I think that I can go pretty far with it. I am grateful for Rosie's thoughtful gift. :smitten:
9--I am an avid gardener and now I need to plant a coin garden. lol.
10--Finally, I Like This Hobby and I am going to do more of it. I have started to make some calls to get permission to hunt in some local areas.
Thank You Rosie and Tanacat! :happydance01:

396nova
11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Glad you had a good first hunt. thumbsup01 You have a great teacher. |:confused:) She saved you some time with her experience. You have a good understanding of what you have to do to get better. Your well on your way to enjoying this (addictive) hobby. Post those great finds. :clapping:

kybob
11-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks 396nova,
From what this newby can tell Tanacat is a coinshooting machine. I was in awe watching her.
You're from Bristol, WI? You are in my home area. I was born in Mliwaukee and I have relatives there. I grew up in Fox Lake, IL. My mother lives in Genoa City. My brother lives in Burlington and a nephew in Racine. I have relatives in Antioch. One of our family reunions is in Trevor. I would imagine that you are getting ready for the long, cold dark of winter. I miss it.

Jason in Enid
11-11-2011, 09:12 PM
OK, I just refused to read your post based on the fact that you titled it an AAR of your hunt.

I sooooooo hate AARs. I'm sure it was a great post, and I hope you did well, but can't get past the title.

kybob
11-11-2011, 09:35 PM
So Jason,
Do as you must.
How about Gee, I had a great time and I learned alot of cool new stuff? :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Congrats on a successful first hunt. Any hunt with some silver is a winner in my book. Take your time, learn your detector and the coins will come.

Jason in Enid
11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
So Jason,
Do as you must.
How about Gee, I had a great time and I learned alot of cool new stuff? :grin:

Glad to hear you had a grat time learned new stuff! happydance02

BTW, have you ever been in the army?

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Tana lent us her old White's pin pointer. I was sure that we wouldn't need it as the Coinmaster had a pinpoint function but she assured us that we would need it. Teehee

You've had a great start and have a great teacher. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Epi-hunter
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Great story :clapping: Glad you guys had fun, and I am sure you learned a ton about your new machine!

I love your lessons learned :perfect10: Excellent post!

Lowjiber
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Great story. You've got a good teacher in Tana.

I wondered about the Army thing too.

kybob
11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Jason and Lowjiber,
I was in college during Vietnam and did not serve. I tend to hang out with some exmilitary and law enforcement people. My oldest stepson mustered out of Ft Belvoir as an E6 after 2 hitches . He now is a government employee doing cyber stuff at Quantico. Youngest was a sailor on the George Washington. I am very proud of both of them. I have lost friends and family in military service.
My use of the AAR term was in a more informal sense. It was obviously not in the more structured format of its original usage. The term has grown beyond Army and even military to include firefighting, Homeland security, some other agencies, private consulting firms, and on internet discussions of various sorts. I like the focus on examining what was planned, what was done, how it worked, and what was learned. No attempt was made to present as a wannaabe or anything else.
If my use of the term is somehow not PC for this forum then that is a lesson learned in this, new to me, environment and a lesson that I find interesting. If someone takes issue with my use of the term due to their own issues...what can I say?
It appears that both of you have probably served our country and for that I can say that you have my gratitude and respect as do any others who have also served.
Regards, Bob

aloldstuff
11-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Kybob, very nice post. I have responced to Tana's post earlier and mentioned that she has probably hooked (addicted) another detectorist. Now reading your post about getting permission proves what I said. Congrats on the silver ring and your 1st quarter.

Ytcoinshooter
11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Ya did well, scoring a silver ring on your first time is one you'll never forget. Getting out with a mentor is to your advantage.
Congrats!

Jason in Enid
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
kybob, you didn't do anything wrong in your post. I asked about Army service because that is the only place I have seen AARs done.

You might understand why a soldier would abhor the use of AAR for ANYTHING. We get hammered with stupid AARs for everything we do. Teach a 30 minute class, have an AAR. Go shooting, have an AAR.Go to a training site have an AAR. 99% of AARs are complete BS wastes of time.
I will agree with you that the concept is good, but after you have a few thousand you learn to hate the concept as much as the idiots driving them on us!

It's all good though, I don't think anything bad against you.

kybob
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Jason,
I understand now that you get hammered with over use of the concept. Sorry that you are so subjected. May you find gold rings and silver dollars on your next hunt.

Diggler
11-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Heck with AAR I had to google DSW... :grin: That she must be if she bought you a Coin Master! Got a pic of the ring? Good read and good luck in your future digs!

kybob
11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Diggler,
Check the coinshooting section in Tanacat's post.kybob's first hunt she took some good pics. The ring and the DSW (Dear Sweet Wife) are represented. I haven't firgured out how to post pics yet.