PDA

View Full Version : perfect detecting weather

OxShoeDrew
11-13-2011, 12:40 PM
My partner and I continued detecting a neighborhood of cellar holes that we started last weekend. This area includes a train depot. They are producing the usual items.
Thimble
tombac button, shank is very off center
Broke flat button
1880 Indian head
Pickle fork
3 fly buttons
Suspender clip made in Glastonbury, Ct
Musket ball
Bridle rosette
I also found 2 tack buckles in one hole. My partner made a surface find of a flat button right on the cellar hole lip. He also picked 20 ticks off to my one. It was perfect weather....lots of fun!!

Toadman
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Sweet buckle ! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: Is the top button pewter..?

OxShoeDrew
11-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Sweet buckle ! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: Is the top button pewter..?

Thank you Toadman, I thought that button was tombac but I don't really know for sure. It really has a hand made look to it.

del
11-13-2011, 02:54 PM
congrats on the finds Drew some cool relics |:cheering: |:cheering:

Thank you Toadman, I thought that button was tombac but I don't really know for sure. It really has a hand made look to it.

yes the shiney button on the left top is a colonial tombac , the fork is just a regular fork as almost all were only two prong up until the mid 1800's .

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-13-2011, 05:37 PM
nice hunt! i hate ticks!

OxShoeDrew
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
congrats on the finds Drew some cool relics |:cheering: |:cheering:

yes the shiney button on the left top is a colonial tombac , the fork is just a regular fork as almost all were only two prong up until the mid 1800's .

Thanks Dan, I don't know which is more fun...digging the stuff or learning about it.

nice hunt! i hate ticks!

I'm starting to wonder if certain people are more attractive to ticks than others. My partner ALWAYS picks ticks off while I seldom do.
Thanks, I feel my hunts are getting more productive but I still need to learn WHERE THE COINS ARE. :confused:

pulltabsteve
11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Keep at it Drew. You'll find the coins. I also seldom get ticks on me. The past few seasons my detecting buddy used to get 30-40 compared to 2 or 3 for me. I think this year has been one of the worse tick seasons. Almost every woods hunt this year I've been getting quite a few on me.
Nice looking saves Drew!! :clapping: Keep it up.

Civil War Nut
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Very nice finds C .