PDA

View Full Version : Ferrous sounds

kurtnks
02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
When I had my old Explorer XS I used to have trouble with iron falsing...then I switched to running in ferrous tones and liked it so much better. I hunted with the E-trac yesterday and the falsing was terrible, I was using Andy's coin pattern with factory coin mode at +2 auto. Was wondering if any of you E-trac user's just use ferrous 2 or 4 tone--OR what are you doing to get by the falsing issue's. I dug several deep signal's just to see what was falsing and alway's was a deep square nail. I know to get those deep targets I have to put up with some noise but wow seems like I was hitting every nail in this park. Will ferrous tones help:huh: :confused:

Epi-hunter
02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
George (coinnut) uses 2 tone and ferrous with the E-trac.

I hear you... I used my EXPII in ferrous sounds because of iron falsing but now use conductive on my E-Trac. I have had to learn new tricks to tell whether I am hearing deep iron or deep silver.

I don't think ferrous tones on the E-Trac is the answer when hunting for deep silver. Most good targets come in at the same or similar ferrous numbers on the E-Trac, unlike the Explorer series.

coinnut
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
When I had my old Explorer XS I used to have trouble with iron falsing...then I switched to running in ferrous tones and liked it so much better. I hunted with the E-trac yesterday and the falsing was terrible, I was using Andy's coin pattern with factory coin mode at +2 auto. Was wondering if any of you E-trac user's just use ferrous 2 or 4 tone--OR what are you doing to get by the falsing issue's. I dug several deep signal's just to see what was falsing and alway's was a deep square nail. I know to get those deep targets I have to put up with some noise but wow seems like I was hitting every nail in this park. Will ferrous tones help:huh: :confused:

I use ferrous sounds with 2 tones selected, but that is around cellar holes. I only reject the lowest 3 bars of iron. But I don't have areas that have many deep silvers, so Angel may have to chime in here lol Auto +2 seems mild. I would think that Andy's pattern along with auto+2 would be enough to blank out the nails. Maybe you have to rely more on the solid, repeatable signals rather than a signal that only repeats every couple of swings. I know that I am guilty of trying to make signals read good when in fact they don't repeat enough to dig them. It's usually out of desperation or bordom for me lol. Sometimes ground moisture also makes iron read better. Trust the repeatable signals and the returning bouncing numbers to the 12-45, 12-46 area. That's my guess on it.

kurtnks
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for reply's..I probably jumped the gun on asking about ferrous sounds while coin hunting.I have been using ferrous tones with a wide open screen for the last 4 months in a wheat field(ghost town) that when I went to a local park with the E-trac it kinda was flustrating :confused: but it might work well for me in some parts of this park,I know after allot of research there was a grandstand that burnt down next to a horse track.(explains the nails)So coinnut you run ferrous two tone around cellar holes (good high tone dig)That's what I like to do in my favorite field ;) could you post the mode you run the most while relic hunting... :cheesysmile: ...HH

coinnut
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey Kurt, I run a basic program. Here are the most important adjustments for me. I run the screen wide open except for the 31-35 Ferrous numbers blacked out. Sensitivity - Auto+3, Threshold at 25, Volume Gain at 24. I use Gray Ghost &quot:grin:eep Woods headphones. Responce - normal, Deep - on, Fast - off, Thrash Density - high, Ground - difficult, I noise cancel by using the noise cancel button, Pinpoint - sizing, Show Sensitivity - on. That's it! I hear a lot of the falsing that hits in the 01 and 02 FE range, but I ignore a lot of that. I only dig repeatable or mostly repeatable targets. All the nails I dig are because I try the targets that only repeat every once in a while. The key for me is to go extremely slow when I enter an area that has a lot of targets. It's almost unnaturally slow lol. When that machine is in constant null, I really slow down. If there is a good target in there it will appear. I then shorten my swings to isolate it and see if it repeats. I will usually get a good target to read in the 12 or 13 ferrour range. Scrap sheet or bar steel will read in the 16-18 ferrour range and falsing is in the 01 or 02 ferrous range. Hope this helps.