PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Hunt

bob_e99
11-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Saturday:

Because of my latest success with the mercury dimes, I thought that I would go back to the park where I found the seated liberty dime. It would be awesome to get a second one but unfortunately, no such luck. That park has given up only the one silver dime but as my son said, if you only find one, that is the one to find. My morning hunt yielded: 5 quarters, 8 dimes, 1 nickel and 11 pennies including one wheat.

Sunday:

I had to be in the area so I decided to go back to the park where I have been finding the mercury dimes and this time did not dissappoint although with a twist. I dug a hole on a broken signal and found the remnants of an old metal comb with few remaining teeth and thought that I once again got suckered in by an old piece of metal. I stuck the pinpointer in the hole and it chirped from all directions and I figured it was the rest of the comb but wasn't going to leave anything to chance. When I dug deeper, I was rewarded with a mercury dime. Stuck the pinpointer in the hole and got a signal from the left wall which much to my surprise was a second mercury dime. One more time from the right wall of the hole and I was beyond belief when the third dime showed up.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Anyone who has found a spill, especially a silver spill, knows the euphoria from such a find. I was hoping that I could add to the three but the rest of the morning hunt yielded only clad and one interesting three-pence coin (1945). Total for the morning hunt: 7 quarters, 19 dimes - including three mercs, 27 pennies - including five wheats and 1 three-pence coin.

I think that I'm approaching a point where I have cleaned out a majority of the targets but will still hit that spot again. There is a larger area to the park but I don't think it will produce as well as this area has.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

z118
11-14-2011, 08:10 AM
What a spill! You are really tearing it up with the silver. I shudder to think what kind of silver totals you may achieve next season. Clearly you are destined to become the family silver king.

Congrats!

Viking
11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice spill! The comb probably hid those dimes from many previous detectorists, but no longer! Way to go. :clapping:

aloldstuff
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh those darn metal combs, fool everybody all the time. Looks like you fooled it this time, congrats on a silver spill and all the other finds.

Fire Fighter 43
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Congrats on a great hunt!!

randy
11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice silver spill. They are fun, aren't they?