PDA

View Full Version : MXT with 1:blackeye:12 SEF Coil

BerntOut
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
My first day with the 1:blackeye:12 SEF on a Whites MXT and my non-scientific observations......
I had the opportunity to acquire a little used 1:blackeye:12 SEF coil. Timing was perfect so I could run a unprofessional comparison with this SEF 1:blackeye:12 with the stock 950 coil in the exact same conditions/location. I set up the MXT in stock Coin settings FOR BOTH COILS. If an area was overly trashy, I'd set the discrimination higher. I went over the same park ground with the new SEF I had MD the day before with the stock 950 coil. The SEF definitely goes deeper...absolutely no doubt about it. I dug more junk....and deep junk than I ever have and deep pennies too. I had gleaned the easy stuff over the past few trips to the park. I found only one quarter in an area I had never MD before. I saw it laying on top of the dirt before I got to it...zip on dimes, one nickle and the MXT ID was accurate as was the depth, a handful of pennies, a Coca Cola Token and a 1950's Un Peso Large Coin....it was sitting on top of the cut grass just below the surface and hit the MXT hard. The SEF coil ID's multiple close targets impressively. My only complaint on this first outing with the SEF Coil is that I recovered. mostly pennies. It could be that I had taken all the larger coin out of the area as I had hit the park a few times prior. This is my first experience with a DD and larger coil and it sweeps a larger foot print speeding up the search. Pinpointing was a snap. No problems there.
I am thinking I will grow to like this coil as I become more familiar with it and figure out where and when it is appropriate to use it effectively.
Weight was a minor issue but as my arms get stronger I can live with it.
I also acquired a Sun Ray Probe from the same individual...WOW, I like it! I just have to remember to switch back to the coil! :bounce:
I have a previously ordered 6X8 SEF on the way to complicate my life even more! :bonkers:
Bernt

Nailbender
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Can't wait to here how you like the 6x8. I'm going to get one OR a 6x10 this summer, I heard the 6x8 was deeper so I'm leaning towards it.

coinnut
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a SunRay probe on my E Trac. They are really nice, especially if your hole has multiple targets. You can separate them easily, and not have to worry about scratching anything. I have always heard that the MXT was a super detector, but have never had a chance to try one out, so I will have to live it through you lol Look forward to seeing how that 6x8 works for you.

Nailbender
02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I use a M6, same basic unit as the MXT. I just read a comparison between the 6x8 & 6x10 on a MXT the results were the 6x8 was 2 deeper doing an air test and had better seperation than the 6x10 and worked well in mineralized soil. The tester hunted several areas that he had worked dozens of times before with the 4x6, 6x10, D2 and found a dozen more good finds. Gonea haveta get me one.

Lowjiber
02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I use a M6, same basic unit as the MXT.
Having both, I like to say that an MXT is a M6 on steroids. :rolleyes: