PDA

View Full Version : 2 Wheats and a button

switch
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
a few hours of hunting yielded these...where is the silver. lol that 1909...anybody make out a vbd. >:{

aloldstuff
11-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Yup, that's my question. Wheres the silver, congrats on two early wheats

CODY
11-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Congrats on the wheats.

switch
11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks all, when I pulled the 1909 it was so badly corroded I thought I nabbed a zinc cent... good thing I decided to clean it. lol

RobW
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Soak it in some Sierra Mist over night and scrubb with a toothbrush the next morning, most if not all of it will come off, then do the other side, you may need to do it more than once, then let soak in some olive oil for a few days , wipe off excess, then let dry

Ill Digger
11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
:happydance01: You got the whole world in your hand! :happydance01: You got the whole wide world in your hand :happydance01: lol
Cool little globe pin! thumbsup01

1909...anybody make out a vbd. >:{

As for you wheaties. I wouldn't touch the 1918. That looks like thats about as clean as it's going to get. :yes:
But with the 1909 (if it were mine) since it's in such rough shape already.
I'd use a brass bristled brush.* :yes:
The brass is softer than the copper but alot harder than the green....crud. lol
The brush will take off anything that will come off. What don't come off with the brush...well. It probably isn't going to come off. lol
This is how I clean all my really corroded or gunked up wheaties. I know HEAVYMETALNUT does the same with some of his finds too. :yes:
It works good. :yes: Try it on another one first if your not sure you want to initiate your newest oldie. ;) lol
The silver is there. :yes: You'll find it! :yes:
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

* I've said it before, and I'm sure we all know, we wouldn't do this to a possibly valuable coin. \:hammer:

jkress
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Not a bad hunt at all. :clapping: Some early wheat cents and a cool button lets you know you are hunting in the right spot. :yes:

where is the silver. lol

I ask myself this all of the time. :confused:

switch
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks all.

Soak it in some Sierra Mist over night and scrubb with a toothbrush the next morning, most if not all of it will come off...

I made a decision long ago not to use acid, at least on pennies... I use worchestershire sauce on nickels, but that is about it. :grin: Thanks for that info though. :groovy:

But with the 1909 (if it were mine) since it's in such rough shape already.
I'd use a brass bristled brush.* :yes:
The brass is softer than the copper but alot harder than the green....crud. lol
The brush will take off anything that will come off. What don't come off with the brush...well. It probably isn't going to come off. lol

lol Thanks Digger. I tried to clean some Indians once...I got off most of the crud...but they ended up looking better with it. :-\ I might try the brush, or I will just leave it go.. I can make out a date...that might be enough for me, unless the current corrison will just make it get worse. :dontknow:

Not a bad hunt at all. :clapping: Some early wheat cents and a cool button lets you know you are hunting in the right spot. :yes:
I ask myself this all of the time. :confused:

lol I found a token, at least 6 wheat pennies here, some clad, a childs silver ring, but NO silver yet.... I think it is all hiding under the garden in front of this house. lol :thinkingabout:

Mudder
11-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Looks to be the right spot, the finds that your pulling have all the right age for the site to produce some silver for you. Keep hunting it hard, and good luck. thumbsup01 thumbsup01